Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 04-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Fast EZ EFI self tuning retrofit kit

been reading and reading and reading.... and talking to FAST in regards to the EZ EFI self tuning kits. this application would be my 86 camaro, heads cam intake 350.

i would be looking at p/n 302000 which is the retrofit kit for mpfi engines to replace the GM electronics
http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/mult...-base-kithtml/
i spent a good amount of time on the phone with FAST and talked to their rep at the carlisle swap meet this weekend. this seems like a really nice option for someone like myself that doesnt know how to tune and doesnt want to spend the time and money everytime a mod is done on a retune.

from the rep at FAST a spot on tune can be obtained within 750-1000 miles of driving. almost seems to good to be true, so what do you guys think?
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

My tuner laughed at me when I mentioned self tuning. He said its great for getting a base idle tune to check for leaks etc, but WOT stuff really should be done live.

Holley/FAST/MS all offer the self learn stuff, some guys love it
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
My tuner laughed at me when I mentioned self tuning. He said its great for getting a base idle tune to check for leaks etc, but WOT stuff really should be done live.

Holley/FAST/MS all offer the self learn stuff, some guys love it
i agree seems to good to be true.. maybe he said that since you are forced induction? fast said their self tuning units are not for FI or NOS set ups but are more than adequate for a setup like mine.
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

Old 04-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #4
LTb1ow

Could very well be, I would see if you can find users who have used it and have working widebands in car. Get their feedback with how well FAST tracks desired AFR's to actual readings.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

yeah those are not ideal for matt's setup. yours is much more in line for those setups

i hear good things about the holley stuff. the WB will get you in the ball park, and if need be you can get it tuned from there.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
yeah those are not ideal for matt's setup. yours is much more in line for those setups

i hear good things about the holley stuff. the WB will get you in the ball park, and if need be you can get it tuned from there.
the reason why i specifically said FAST is because they are the only one that offers a product that is a retrofit for cars with mpfi already and just want to add the self learning. holley only offers self learning on their throttle body kits which i dont have and megasquirt doesnt offer a self learning feature.

seems like the FAST set up is the easiest product for my application as all the connectors are GM and was designed specifically for TPI conversions.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxsstink View Post
the reason why i specifically said FAST is because they are the only one that offers a product that is a retrofit for cars with mpfi already and just want to add the self learning. holley only offers self learning on their throttle body kits which i dont have and megasquirt doesnt offer a self learning feature.

seems like the FAST set up is the easiest product for my application as all the connectors are GM and was designed specifically for TPI conversions.
Yes it does, just requires a laptop to be hooked up at the time of adjusting.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxsstink View Post

Call Holley, i don't think that is true, at least not the last time i talked to someone on this topic. or go fast and find a local tuner to help if you need it.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Anything self tuning will only get you halfway there. The computer comes loaded with generic tables and will seek a close enough answer to have the car run ok down the road and hopefully not blow smoke under spirited use.

It will cost you some time with a tuner or learning to tune, but it would be a much better idea to get a computer that requires tuning and filling in all the tables properly.

Give a call to Dave@EFX, he posted up about direct replacement computers for the GM stockers. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association

Last edited by NJSPEEDER; 04-27-2015 at 02:23 PM.
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
greenformula92

Dave also has all the equip to burn new chips so far as I understand. I was gonna have him do my convertible before I decided to part ways with it

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
Dave@EFX
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

Self tuning kits are great for guys that want to ditch their carburetors and go to car shows.

-Dave
Dave@EFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #12
Firehawk441

I've worked with the EZ EFI. Wasn't as self learning as advertised.
You need to do your own tuning with it.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:19 AM   #13
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

have you checked or searched for this on www.thirdgen.org ? i'm sure plenty of guys have gone with a FAS efi setup on a setup like yours...or at least had questions and had answers given. In a few years when I plan on building a stout 406 or 427 small black I plan on a setup like FAST/atomic/etc efi Its still years down the road so I haven't done much research yet. check thirdgen, use the search feature, might find some help there.

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning