Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #26
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispooledurmom View Post
Ok so hears what i got so far the 12 bolt is out the window cause this is gonna be my DD s60 is heavy so i guess im going with the good ol 9 inch.

So this is gonna be the setup LS2 - Magnum T56 - And a moser 9 inch with a 3.50 or 3.89 axle ratio havent decided yet.

i have 3:70s. love em

Last edited by NastyEllEssWon; 07-03-2009 at 10:28 PM.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #27
NJ346
11 Second Club / I <3 LT1s

Moser 9in...I'll be sporting one soon enough.

00 SS A4- LQ9/LS3/Stalled/3.42s 1.48/11.10/121 mph<-6spd swap in progress.
13 Silverado Z71- Sold 11/16
99 Z28 M6- -H/C/9in - sold 1/13
99 Silverado Z71- The DD - Sold 7/13
03 CBR 600RR - Sold 8/13
NJ346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #28
Ispooledurmom

How hard is the install on the moser is it a direct bolt in any fabrication recuired?

And i couldnt find 3.70's for a 9 inch i was looking for them or 3.73's
Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #29
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

My ten bolt seems to be doing OK behind my auto... but i'm sure it'll be on its way soon enough.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:10 AM   #30
NastyEllEssWon

call bob here....http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/ he's the one that built the moser 9'' that came with my car...even though i didnt buy it from him he was still nice enough to answer some of my questions about the build order from the previous owner when i broke my driveshaft. you can get the 3:70s from there too

do it. do it best mod you can do.

Last edited by NastyEllEssWon; 07-04-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #31
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

So far all of you have managed to take what I have said and totally misconstrue it.

The 12bolt is PLENTY strong enough for most applications. AS I said I can count at least two cars I have done with 12 bolts that run deep into the 9's and one off hand that is in the eights. All of these cars have trans brakes and are at least 3400 lbs. Unless you have 1000+ horsepower you really do not have to worry about braking the 12 bolt any more than anyther rear. As far as 12 bolts not being intended to have a torque arm bracket, that is true.. FOR STOCK HOUSINGS. The Strange housing is a completely aftermarket casting whish IS designed to have a torque arm mount.

9 inch works ok but has the most amount of parasitic drag due to the location of the pinion in relation to the ring gear. I have one in my Camaro and have scattered it all over the track so it is not exempt from breakage either. Also the torqe arm mount involves mutiple brackets welded to the stamped steel rear housing, not casted into the differential center section itself..

60 is a bit heaver than the other two but it is by far the strongest. The pinion/ring relationship makes this rear have about the same parasitic loss as a 12 bolt does. Only other draw back is the need for a slightly shorter driveshaft due to the overall size of the housing. The 60 like the 12 bolt, is a completely aftermarket casting whish is designed to have a torque arm mount so there are no problems there either.

Remember EVERY one of these rears WILL break eventually, EVERYTHING BREAKS in racing/high performance, it is just a matter of how long it lasts in between service or repairs..So to repeat myself.. For the majority of people any one of these rears will be a capable unit. It just boils down to the pros and cons involved with each particular design.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #32
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN View Post
12 bolts weren't meant to have a torque arm on them.

The 9in has an okay posi.

The S60 is probably the strongest, but I believe it is the heaviest and has the most drivetrain loss out of all of them.
so a ford rear that came from cars that never had torque arms is more meant to have one? while the moser tq arm mount sucks, the strange one is just like stock with the long bolts and nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #33
thunder
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERFORMANCE View Post
So far all of you have managed to take what I have said and totally misconstrue it.

The 12bolt is PLENTY strong enough for most applications. AS I said I can count at least two cars I have done with 12 bolts that run deep into the 9's and one off hand that is in the eights. All of these cars have trans brakes and are at least 3400 lbs. Unless you have 1000+ horsepower you really do not have to worry about braking the 12 bolt any more than anyther rear. As far as 12 bolts not being intended to have a torque arm bracket, that is true.. FOR STOCK HOUSINGS. The Strange housing is a completely aftermarket casting whish IS designed to have a torque arm mount.

9 inch works ok but has the most amount of parasitic drag due to the location of the pinion in relation to the ring gear. I have one in my Camaro and have scattered it all over the track so it is not exempt from breakage either. Also the torqe arm mount involves mutiple brackets welded to the stamped steel rear housing, not casted into the differential center section itself..

60 is a bit heaver than the other two but it is by far the strongest. The pinion/ring relationship makes this rear have about the same parasitic loss as a 12 bolt does. Only other draw back is the need for a slightly shorter driveshaft due to the overall size of the housing. The 60 like the 12 bolt, is a completely aftermarket casting whish is designed to have a torque arm mount so there are no problems there either.

Remember EVERY one of these rears WILL break eventually, EVERYTHING BREAKS in racing/high performance, it is just a matter of how long it lasts in between service or repairs..So to repeat myself.. For the majority of people any one of these rears will be a capable unit. It just boils down to the pros and cons involved with each particular design.
impressive answer. you know ur stuff
Old 07-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #34
Ispooledurmom

Does anyone have the weights of the rears cause this is gonna be a DD i dont want to be driving a tank
Old 07-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #35
NastyEllEssWon

my car weighs like 3700 lbs with the 9''
Old 07-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #36
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispooledurmom View Post
Does anyone have the weights of the rears cause this is gonna be a DD i dont want to be driving a tank
You will not "feel" the difference in weight either way..

You are obivously not going to be going out side of the capabilities of any of these rears. Like I said pick one GM, ford, or mopar they will all do the job for you it is up to you to decide what you see when you look under the car.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline