Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
LS1KID

Which headers? Need Suggestions PLEASE

I'm gonna get headers soon, the only problem is I can't decide on a brand. I'm definately going with ceramic coated LT's. I'm stuck between Pace Setter and Hooker. I don't want to spend any more than $650. I can get the Pace Setters for around $400 and the Hookers for around $600. I do plan on getting Random tech cats and an SLP y-pipe to go along with my Loudmouth. Can anyone tell me the Pros and Cons between Pace Setters and Hooker. Which are better and show more performance gains for the money? I can really use some help on this. thanks

Tuned by TTP - 340rwhp / 352rwtq
LS1KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:37 AM   #2
Batman
11 Second Club

Hookers are OK, pacesetters fir like a$$. Make sure if you get a Y it will work, not all the headers are the same length. Might be better to buy it all together as a kit. There really aren't any good, cheap headers but I'd say the best out there are QTP, PPC and Kooks. Hookers are VERY close to the QTP's so QTP's Y-pipe may work better for you then the SLP's. Plus SLP's Y-pipe is a terrible design, it hits the floor alot more then the rest of them and forget about it clearing a driveshaft loop. My advice is to get a top shelf set and not skimp, but for low $$$ the hookers are your best bet.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
GrandmasterCow
12 Second Club

also look over at MAC. since they've been working with these cars for a long time too they might be somethin you're looking for.
1999 Trans Am WS6
2000 Trans Am WS6
GrandmasterCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

i had pacesetters on my car for 6 months before my wreck...fitment was decent but they redesigned them for better fitment recently..check out my old site for pics & my install writeup www.geocities.com/foff667 they did get surface rust even with the coating but expect that with any header that isnt SS after around 6 months or so...the mac's are midlenght but make ok power for what they are i severly doubt slp's ypipe will bolt up to any header other then their own...i would say kooks is a good option if you can afford them. Â*I would take a look at tsp's catted ypipe with pacesetters if you definitly wanna get cats but want cheap headers. And if ya need any codes deleted or whatever for the rear o2's i'll do it cheaper then you can buy sims.

lata
Bill
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
iamsickofitall

i have pacesetters & tsp's catted y on my car - if you want pacesetters with cats, you should go this route - i have very slight banging issues (only on hard takeoffs) with my y pipe but i haven't tried to fix it yet

and yes they resolved all the fitment issues - my buddy just had to literally lift the headers straight up on an angle to get them all the way up to me

lt's are lt's - they all dyno within a couple hp of eachother

iamsickofitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:28 AM   #6
Batman
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
lt's are lt's - they all dyno within a couple hp of eachother
I disagree with that statement, My QTP's dyno'd 17HP higher then my crap ass SLP's did. I only gained 4 RWH from SLP's, they were crap. Fit like crap, coating came off and they made no gain, all for only $1200.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
97transam
12 Second Club

Maybe contact Jet Hot (jet-hot.com). You might be able to get a complete system of headers, y-pipe and high flow cat with ceramic coating for under a $1,000. I did for an LT1. MAC mid length. This is a tough area, because it's not exactly "you get what you paid for". But the coating on the pipes is something to watch for. There cheap is, well, cheap.
97transam is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning