Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
My94T/A

Hypertech 160 STAT

Hi I just got my 160 stat installed my Jon, a fellow board member. Now I have a question. I thought the reason everyone uses these thermostat's is because they operate at a lower temperature. I let the car idle and warm up, basically to see what happens and when it when past 210 mark I was surprised. So i shut the engine off and opened up the two bledder screw jon showed me and told me to close them when they start spitting coolant and I did that. Then started the engine again and same thing went up to 220 and the fans came on and temp cooled down to 210. Is it suppose to do that? or did it get a dud?? Thank you in advance for all the help.

SOLD 7-30-05
My94T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

teh stat allows you to operate at a lower temp. to take advantage or it you will need to change your fan temps on/off in the computer. once you have teh fans set you can start to tune to take advantage of the bit more power you can make at the lower temp

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
My94T/A

Thanx for the quick reply. That's worry of my mind. I guess now I have more reasons to get a tune from Fasterthenyou

SOLD 7-30-05
My94T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:04 AM   #4
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

If you're sitting still it will still go up to 210 or so... get moving and it will go down... while moving my temps usually around 165-170

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Messiah
If you're sitting still it will still go up to 210 or so... get moving and it will go down... while moving my temps usually around 165-170
i know in my ls1 the stock fan turn on temps were at 226* so yah that sounds about right...get those fan settings fixed.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
Fasterthanyou

If the engine is too cool it will wear more and the parts won't be sealing as well as they would at the designed operating temp. Lots of tolerances get messed up when you run too cool. I like 180-195, anything cooler has never been proven to make a car faster. Yes having a cooler engine will make more horsepower so LONG AS the intake hasn't already heat soaked. Once that happens you're almost better off with a 180 stat since the rings, bearings, head gasket and what not will all be "tighter." Piston rings wear when the piston is loose in the hole, cold block = extra wear.
It's all up to you and I'm just giving you my opinion for whatever it's worth.
Also, definatly change those fan temps to match the stat. You could damage the 160 stat by overheating it up to normal temps on a regular basis. They're wax, wax expands, overheat it too much and the wax leaks out the seals .
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning