Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 01-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
SpeakersGoBoom

Painting A Car

The girlfriend wants a camaro, so I found her one. Needs a little work, but nothing too crazy. Anyway, her favorite color is red, so I'm looking to give it a nice red paintjob with black SS stripes on the hood and deck.

1) Who makes decent paint, and how much for it? (Not looking for a rediculously gorgeous shade of red that costs a fortune. A nice RED red will do.)

2) The car is originally not red. i think it was either deep green, or deep blue, or brown, or black. cant remember what color. Dont need an entire, paint everything, paintjob. Just so that the outside of the car is red.

3) What other materials will I need? (paintgun, etc)

I really dont know anything about painting, but i figured a v6 camaro is a decent enough place to start. I have until august to finish it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
-Karl
SpeakersGoBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
84HOtransam
13 Second Club

Re: Painting A Car

you need a garage or shed to do it in...

get a gravity feed paint gun...can be had for about 60 bucks

a decent air compressor with a disposable in line air filter/air dryer

prime then paint...

you'll probably want a DA sander to smoother up the car before you start... if your going to paint the door jambs and under the hood then the job gets more intense...

mipa clear...thats how its pronounced but its spelled differenently..
its a single stage paint...i painted the nose on a mack truck and it came out pretty nice..i think the red cost 20 bucks a quart?...

with all that stuff you'll get a decent result..like i said i did the nose outside in the summer and it came out ok...

im probably missing stuff but thats the basics...

oh you'll also need lacquer thinner to mix the paint..

you can get all that stuff at duro paint on lexington ave in clifton...
84HOtransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
SpeakersGoBoom

that shop has good prices? like i said. something that, while not a professional paint job, shows i didnt do this drunk at 4 in the morning while it was raining with spraypaint.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
84HOtransam
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakersGoBoom
that shop has good prices? Â*like i said. Â*something that, while not a professional paint job, shows i didnt do this drunk at 4 in the morning while it was raining with spraypaint.
its not a shop..its an automotive paint place/nape parts store
Old 01-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
78camaro

i say go macco,ive seen some of there jobs n there not all that bad n i know paint can get kinda exspensive, n if you need tools paint gun n compressor, your deff better off getting macco unless you can borrow, a macco job is maybe 400 bucks
Old 01-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Macco is your best bet. Â*You dont want it to come out looking like a rattle can job, especially if it gets dirty when you dont have the proper set up. Â*I suggest going to Gavins in Paterson, right over the fair-lawn border on rt. 21. Â*They are a well known paint supply shop, and they can set you up with just about any kind of paint you can imagine. Â*Tell them your price range, the color, and they will set you up with the proper amount of paint pre-mixed. Â*THEN take it to a Macco and get their "Ambassator" Paint Job I think it is their best one. Â*It cant be more then $300-400, Â*And sometimes it does come out pretty good.

Gio's car was painted by a macco, and the paint job looks really good. Â*You saw it when we went down to Fudds.

If this is a gift, I would think you want to have a fairly good quality job.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #7
The Fixer

I agree with the Maaco job. Check out the one on Tonnelle Ave. in North Bergen. They do nice work at a fair price. Here's an example of their work -

This was my old daily driver '86 Cutlass. If you want, you can check out pics of the work they did on this page - www.bowtiepower.com/cutlassprep.html

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:44 PM   #8
Teds89IROC

I agree with Alex, to do it the right way by yourself you'll need the gun. air compressor, paint cups, mixers, laquer thinner. Not only that, if you paint the car outside or just in a garage you're gonna get dust and dirt in the paint and you will have to bust your balls wet sanding and compounding the car after it's done. You really need access to a spray booth. Save yourself the hassle and let Maaco do it. I've heard the reason some Maaco jobs come out bad is because they don't prep the cars all too well. What you could do is prep the car yourself, the panels that don't need body work and have no dents (unless you aren't worrying about dents and what not, then this applies for the whole car) you're going to have to scuff. All the shops use this grey solution called "scuff stuff". Get yourself a tub of that and some grey scuff pads. So this way, the car just needs to be taped up and it's ready for paint when you bring it to the shop. Go to Gavins and they'll point you in the right direction. If you have any questions, just ask..I work in a body shop, so I can give you advice and help if you need it.

~Ted
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:44 PM   #9
SpeakersGoBoom

well, money might be a little bit of a problem, but ill see if i can do that. depends on how much teh rest of teh car costs.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:27 AM   #10
84HOtransam
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakersGoBoom
well, money might be a little bit of a problem, but ill see if i can do that. Â*depends on how much teh rest of teh car costs.
yea the macco would be the best bet only if you dont have an indoor place to paint or a good compresser...
Old 01-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
EVIL90SS

holy ****....tpi monte ss, my 86 cutlass was almost the same as yours, mine was painted chrystler nightwatch blue. mine was a tad more than stock lookin, i miss that pile.

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* G-BODIES BIOTCH !!!!

86 olds cutlass, stock olds rocket 350, dual exhaust w/ bullet mufflers, th-350 w/ shift kit, 3:42 posi rear, t-tops, cragar ss/t wheels, and yes....the whip CB antenna !

EVIL90SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
garretwp

Stay away from Maaco they are a waste of time and money. Not only that but the paint jobs are **** and youll have more of a mess then something good to look at.

Garrett
garretwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #13
camaro2you

ya i say the same thing
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
Mike
BadMod

macco paintjjobs are only bad because they dont prep the car.....if you want to do anything yourself, prep the car, and buy the paint, and let them spray it

it will come out better than someones first paintjob wether macco sucks or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:28 PM   #15
Untamed

Without the proper sanders and such, where could you go to have the body sanded to bare metal, dents pulled and filled, and basically prepped for a good paint job?

I would have leaned towards Maaco also, however knowing now that they don't prep the car - only pay and spray - I agree I'd rather have it done right he first time. Would any body shop be able to do a decent prep for paint?
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #16
EVIL90SS

there no real reason to completly strip a car thats not that old, like a third gen

Old 01-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #17
SpeakersGoBoom

Im changing the color. right now its black (looks more of a deep green, but the title says black) with, if i remember corectly, light blue and purple pinstripes everywhere. Im looking at, like i said, red with black SS Stripes.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:47 PM   #18
EVIL90SS

still no reason to strip the car, trust me...i know

Old 01-16-2005, 02:29 PM   #19
Mike
BadMod

indeed bodywork where it needs it, and smoothing/ scuffing everywhere else, as to give the paint somthing to stick too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #20
heavy_chevy29

im 19 years old and i did my car. it was black and i redid it sunset orange.

i guess i should mention that i am also the fulltime Â*painter at a bodyshop in wycoff. its alot of work to respray a car a different. me personally, im extremely anal and i have to paint everything including the engine bay. it was alot easier for me because i have a booth to use and i use all top of the line sata hvlp guns (valued at about 400-500 dollars a piece). i use base clear. the base on my car is made by standox wich cost about $300 a gollon(depending on the color). i used PPG clear wich is about $300 for a gollon setup(including hardener and reducer). your best bet is to go to a good macco and have them spray it.

at the shop i work at, we charge a minimum of $3000 to respray the same color and very minor bodywork. if you were to get a paintjob like i did it would cost you about 5-7grand. not very cheep. i lucked out, i didn't pay a penny for my paintjob. my boss picked up the bill for me and told me not to worry about it.
heavy_chevy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #21
camaro2you

that must have been kool
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:31 AM   #22
JerzLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_chevy29
im 19 years old and i did my car. it was black and i redid it sunset orange.

[img]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/222000-222999/222944_158_full.jpg[img]

i guess i should mention that i am also the fulltime Â*painter at a bodyshop in wycoff. its alot of work to respray a car a different. me personally, im extremely anal and i have to paint everything including the engine bay. it was alot easier for me because i have a booth to use and i use all top of the line sata hvlp guns (valued at about 400-500 dollars a piece). i use base clear. the base on my car is made by standox wich cost about $300 a gollon(depending on the color). i used PPG clear wich is about $300 for a gollon setup(including hardener and reducer). your best bet is to go to a good macco and have them spray it.

at the shop i work at, we charge a minimum of $3000 to respray the same color and very minor bodywork. if you were to get a paintjob like i did it would cost you about 5-7grand. not very cheep. i lucked out, i didn't pay a penny for my paintjob. my boss picked up the bill for me and told me not to worry about it.
what part of jersey is your shop located and how good/expensive is rust repair there?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:05 PM   #23
heavy_chevy29

we are located in wycoff nj. we are a little pricy but what body shop isn't. i couldn't give you an estimate, you would have to stop by.
heavy_chevy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance