Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 01-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
91chevywt

LT1 swap, no start, no spark

Well I have mainly two questions.

Does the VATS system from a '93 z28 control spark and fuel, or just fuel?

I used a VATS bypass module, do I need the 30 hz version for a '93, or do I need the 50 hz version?

Basically, after my swap into my '79, I went to start and no spark. I checked the coil, and it tested good via ohmmeter. I have no spark between the coil and distributor. Also, I'm getting code 46, which is for Passkey II. Anybody have any suggestions? I have the 50 hz version, do I need the 30 hz version?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
T96-Iroc-z

If its not cranking then it could def. be the vats, how ever im assuming it cranks since you said it has no spark, you could narrow it down a little by checking if you have power to the coil first and pray to god its not the optispark because they are kinda annoying to replace once you have the engine in the car... so it could be the optical trigger.. usually leaves a code though ...good luck man
T96-Iroc-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Passkey II = VATS

Is the whole VATS system in a 93 in the module or is there something in the PCM too? Somewhere along the lines they started doing it in both.

You can have a chip burned to automatically pass the VATS system if it is in the PCM as well.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I remember the 68 Camaro I had with the 94 LT1 in it had the VATS wired into the headlight switch. But I don't know who modified the harness. The "chip" in the key has different resistance ranges so if you don't get the right key it wouldn't work. How did you bypass that key portion of the circuit? I'm guessing it's not completing the circuit to give you spark.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
91chevywt

Well, I checked my ECM part number, it looks like I need the 30 hz version based on the information from baker electronix. So I ordered that, and I'll see what happens after that.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring