Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
85berlinetta

Wiper motor wiring?

I have a 1982 wiring harness in my car, but have an 85 wiper motor which is different. How would I properly wire up the wiper motor? The harness connector is different and doesnt have enough terminals. I have the pigtails for the new wiper motor.

Help please?
85berlinetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

go to a junkyard and get the weather pack connector for thr 85 wiper motor, and rewire. Or use a earlier style wiper motor

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
BonzoHansen
Admin.

What he said.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
V
Stalker

take good pictures of the 82 connector and the 85 connector.
Make sure you can make out wire coloring in the pics of label it if not, and i'll then be able to tell you what goes where.
Also tell me if either the 82 or 85 actual wiper motors have ground wires coming off them that do not go through the connector.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
85berlinetta

thanks, Ill try to take good pictures of both wiper motors and connectors after work today. I have the 82 wiper motor, but it doesnt bolt up to the firewall
Old 09-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
85berlinetta

these are from the 1982 harness. 82 wiper 2 terminal.jpg

82 wiper 3 terminal.jpg

82 wiper ground.jpg
Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
85berlinetta

one more. 82 wiper pigtails.jpg
Old 09-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
85berlinetta

these are from the 1985 harness. if you need a picture of the motors themselves let me know. 85 wiper 4terminal.jpg

85 wiper connector.jpg

85 wiper pigtail.jpg
Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
V
Stalker

just a quick thing. On both wiring systems, there are only 4 wire that come from the wiper switch to the wiper motor in the 82 and 85.

those 4 main colors are pink, purple, dark green and gray. you should be able to find those coming in the 82 harness. Those are the primary ones to match up first.

now the main issue i see from looking at wiring diagrams, is that in 82 they ran 12v power to the motor first under the hood, and used the wiper switch to ground the circuit. However in 85 they used a reversed system, where the 12v power went through the switch and then grounded coming out the wiper motor.

im going to assume the multiple terminals for the 82 are becasue the washer fluid pump is seperate and i think by 85 it is integrated(theres actually a circuit board under that black cover) so the wiper motor/washer pump now only needed one connector.

im still tryign to work it out in my head, it'd so much easier if i could go into my garage and look at my 85 IROCs setup, but im in Afghanistan now, lol. But from what im seeing so far. you'd need to connect those 4 main wires i mentioned before, then find the white wire that would go to the original 82 wiper motor, that engine compartment section wont be used....

stay with me now(im gonna ramble because im thinkign as im typing and ill be correcting myself often i bet, sorry)... the 82 switch is probably a common ground setup, using that one ground for other things, possibly directionals highbeams etc... I was goign to say find that ground and connect the white wire to it, thatd work if it wasnt a common ground, but i bet it is, so dont do that. lol. basically what you need to do is run power to that switch on the column. from the wiring schematics im lookign at it seems the wiper switch should have its own ground and not tied into any other system. can you tell me if in 82 the wiper switch is even on the column? lol. essentially what you wanna do it take the white wire coming from the 25a fuse for the wipers and run it to the ground wire(once un-grounded) of the wiper switch IF THE WIPER SWITCH IS ISOLATED ONLY. that youd have to check to make sure. and thats means as in no other wires are there. im probably being confusing. huh? lol. im sure im overcomplicating it now. when the wires are hooked up, now 12v power will run from the fuse to the switch, through those 4 main colored wires, and to the 85 motor assembly, which should also have its own ground of some sort, possibly through the mounting legs themselves if nothign else. Another route would be to use a 85 wiper switch and color match the wires to that, 4 main one, and then the white from fuse box to the white on an original 85 pigtail for the wiper switch.... thats about all i can tell ya for now, and i apologize again if i confused you even more.

check out the diagrams and youll see how the +/- systems are reversed in the 2 years.

82 wiring...
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/mkport...ody_wiring.gif ---one with wiper
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/mkport..._continued.gif

85 wiring...
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/mkport...ody_wiring.gif
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/mkport..._continued.gif ---one with wiper

Last edited by V; 09-11-2009 at 11:08 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
85berlinetta

I kind of understand. what about the wires under the hood. which ones go where? the colors dont all coordinate
Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
85berlinetta

I put the white wire from the 25a fuse to the wire that once grounded the wiper switch. Yes the switch is on the column in 82 and yes it is an isolated circuit. Im really just not sure what to do with the 2 wires that run to the bottom of the wiper motor assembly. Does anyone have pics of an earlier 3rd gen wiper motor harness? Or, if anyone would like to come over and help me get this working, I will GIVE YOU the 350 4 bolt main motor that is currently in the car and running. Thats right. FREE SBC to whomever can make this work. OR if you can provide me with the information/pics needed on the message boards. Its yours for $100. I NEED HELP PLEASE!

Last edited by 85berlinetta; 09-22-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: add something

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring