Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

LT1 Camaro, Fatal Car Accident on the GSP

Heard about this over the weekend & decided to look it up. Rumor is the red 1993-1997 Camaro broke down in the center lane of the Parkway. Both people in the Camaro perished from the impact of the collision. The State released the victims' names yesterday. RIP.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf...e_parkway.html
http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf...way_crash.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ.com
ABERDEEN -- Police have identified the two people killed in a crash on the Garden State Parkway Saturday afternoon.

Two people were killed in a crash on the Garden State Parkway southbound on Saturday afternoon, police said.

Kyia Fredericks, 25, of Brick, and Rene Munoz, 29, of Toms River, were in a Chevrolet Camaro when it stopped in the center lane of the southbound express lanes of the Parkway around 3:30 p.m., near milepost 120.9 in Aberdeen, Sgt. Jeff Flynn, a New Jersey State Police spokesman, said.

The Camaro was then struck by a GMC Yukon, Flynn said. The Yukon overturned as a result of the collision.

Fredericks and Munoz were both pronounced dead at the scene, Flynn said.

http://media.nj.com/monmouth_impact/...ay%20crash.jpg
http://media.nj.com/monmouth_impact/...98fd54852a.jpg

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 02-17-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Heard about it this morning, sad stuff....
Old 01-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Wow.. passed by it Saturday leaving work

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

God bless them. What a shame.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

RIP, that's terrible. Bless their families.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
6spdg37s

i seen this on the news sat night, very sad, RIP, and im not sure if it was an LT1 or a 6cyl hard to tell from the pics obviously...

I wonder why they stopped in the middle lane cause most of the time when u break down u dont dead stop it still coasts...
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
i seen this on the news sat night, very sad, RIP, and im not sure if it was an LT1 or a 6cyl hard to tell from the pics obviously...

I wonder why they stopped in the middle lane cause most of the time when u break down u dont dead stop it still coasts...
My guess is driver not being to situationally aware. I see people making lefts on lights on highways were not permitted, backing up on side of highway because missed exits, ect ect. Im sure we all see it.

Very sad none the less. I saw one of my facebook friends share the article, it was a close family friend of theres
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 AM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Sad story. The girl driving probably just made a bad decision maybe she tried to restart it instead of rolling to the side of the road that by the time she realized she couldn't it was too late to do it. Sad

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #9
6spdg37s

I know I seen it on Fb too friends of friends type of thing.. i feel really bad for them and in general when I see things like this...
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
diablo2424

I was good friends with Kyia, the female driver of the car, and have been trying to figure out what generation Camaro Rene had since it happened. I only met Rene once at my best friends wedding last summer, so I didn't have a chance to see his car, also it was fairly new to him (he just bought it used only about a week or so prior to the accident), as I was told by some friends.

Thank you for helping identify the generation for me, and I do believe it was a V6, he wasn't a gearhead, so I wouldn't have expected him to have an LT1 model.

From what I heard, what happened was that something caused the car to stop running while they were in the middle lane of the express side of the GSP, Kyia was driving and began to panic (from what we've gathered) stopping the car in the middle of the parkway. At that point, they were trying to waive people around them with their arms out of the windows, but the Yukon, which was 2-3 cars behind them didn't see them stopped and hit them from behind. They both died at the scene and the driver of the Yukon, a 60 year old man from Howell, walked away, even after his truck flipping from the force.

R.I.P. Kyia and Rene, and prayers to all of our friends (esp. Matt, Kyia's boyfriend who had to work and couldn't make the trip to NYC with them) and their families.

Last edited by diablo2424; 02-07-2017 at 07:50 AM.
diablo2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Wow, that is tough.....glad the board could help you.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #12
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2424 View Post
I was good friends with Kyia, the female driver of the car, and have been trying to figure out what generation Camaro Rene had since it happened. I only met Rene once at my best friends wedding last summer, so I didn't have a chance to see his car, also it was fairly new to him (he just bought it used only about a week or so prior to the accident), as I was told by some friends.

Thank you for helping identify the generation for me, and I do believe it was a V6, he wasn't a gearhead, so I wouldn't have expected him to have an LT1 model.

From what I heard, what happened was that something caused the car to stop running while they were in the middle lane of the express side of the GSP, Kyia was driving and began to panic (from what we've gathered) stopping the car in the middle of the parkway. At that point, they were trying to waive people around them with their arms out of the windows, but the Yukon, which was 2-3 cars behind them didn't see them stopped and hit them from behind. They both died at the scene and the driver of the Yukon, a 60 year old man from Howell, walked away, even after his truck flipping from the force.

R.I.P. Kyia and Rene, and prayers to all of our friends (esp. Matt, Kyia's boyfriend who had to work and couldn't make the trip to NYC with them) and their families.
Sorry for your loss. I visualized being in the car while reading through that and it was chilling.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:42 AM   #13
ted gerlach

the owner of the tow company i work for has known the girl since she [ i think he said 5 years old ] and her dad work for him for years.
ted gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge