Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 12-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

oil pressure loss during hard braking

on my new motor in my iroc, gen I sbc 350ci head cam intake etc.. stock oil pan, new stock pump with high flow spring, stock pick-up. 10w-40 conventional oil. confirmed proper oil level.
mechanical autometer guage
~60psi cold start
~38psi warm idle

during hard braking/panic stops i lose oil pressure, to about 10psi, comes right back up after a second or two.

i know this can be caused by a few things, the oil pickup becoming dislodged or shifted or poor oil return to the crankcase.

i havent done much as far as tearing into things but i wanted to know what other scenarios i could be facing before i drop the pan to see. i want to rule out poor oil return because i get good pressure everywhere else and only experience this during braking, is that logical thinking?
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge

Last edited by redsoxsstink; 12-19-2014 at 09:42 AM.
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

My first thought was the pick up.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Poor windage control
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

im gonna drain the oil and try to see what the pickup is doing through the drain hole. it just seems really unlikely that a new pump and pick up would work itself loose in under 500mi
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

Old 12-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Poor windage control
why would that now become an issue? it still has a stock bottom end and stock didnt have a windage tray

Old 12-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Did you confirm the pickup to oil pan depth when you built the engine?

I'd guess that it's poor oil control.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Did you confirm the pickup to oil pan depth when you built the engine?

I'd guess that it's poor oil control.
i bought this pick up
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/me...t/model/camaro
its what summit, melling and rock auto call for as a replacement

i figured since i didnt change the pan or anything this would the route to go. but to answer your question i did not physically measure

Old 12-20-2014, 02:07 AM   #8
Dudbird113

shoulda measured, probably your culprit of it being to high n sucking a bit of air
Old 12-20-2014, 02:13 AM   #9
WildBillyT

I am fairly certain that you should have measured your clearance. If the pickup is too high or too low it will cause issues.

Also, what oil pump are you using?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I am fairly certain that you should have measured your clearance. If the pickup is too high or too low it will cause issues.

Also, what oil pump are you using?
says stock pump with spring upgrade.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Define hard braking. Nailing it at 45+mph?

I see no problem with temporary 10psi at what is likely idle rpm

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
says stock pump with spring upgrade.
Just want to make sure that he didn't fall into the M55 trap since he will probably be cracking it open.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Define hard braking. Nailing it at 45+mph?

I see no problem with temporary 10psi at what is likely idle rpm
yes hard breaking from speeds lets say great than 35mph.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I suspect you just have hit the limitations of a stock pan/pickup setup. Especially if it is only going to 10psi. 10 is no problem for a SBC at idle, which is what you are at if you are nailing the brakes. My Z will do that same thing under hard braking and I know the pickup is just fine. Forget it, you should not be facing such a scenario often.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I suspect you just have hit the limitations of a stock pan/pickup setup. Especially if it is only going to 10psi. 10 is no problem for a SBC at idle, which is what you are at if you are nailing the brakes. My Z will do that same thing under hard braking and I know the pickup is just fine. Forget it, you should not be facing such a scenario often.
further reading on other forums agree with you. its just something i am unfamiliar with and considered an "issue". still gonna pull the pan and check pickup height and make sure nothing is out of whack. if all checks out, it is what it is i guess and ill have to get used to it.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #16
BonzoHansen
Admin.

should not be hard to get used to. You really should't be hitting that scenario too often.

or if you feel you will do this regularly maybe invest in a nice canton oil pan.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech