Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 03-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

*removing HVAC system, advice needed

next week (my spring break) i am going to be getting shop time at my mechanics shop.. he's guna let me use his lift/tools/ etc to pull the HVAC system out of the IROC

I'm guna get rid of the AC compressor, hoses, freon tank, and the heater core, along with extra coolant lines, wires, and on and on...

--MY questions are as follows?

- Anyone who has done this before, (sinister, etc), how difficult is it? How long should it take? Is there anything i should look out for? Are there any steps or rules to follow when removing an A?C and heater unit? (I dont need heat, cars a spring-summer car, and i've used the A/C/ once .. 5 years ago).... therefore I want to get rid of all of it, mostly because I am going to be cleaning up and painting the engine bay of the car this summer, ...

-Dont i have to release the pressure on the freon tank, and depressurize the system.. also, what type of holes will be left int he firewall, and any recomendations to cover them, fill them, or whatever..

Any help is appreciated. -Dave

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Your buddy’s shop might have an AC machine so you can properly evac the system. Or you could just bust it open, I guess. You really don’t need a lift for this.

The cleanest way to do it is get an AC delete heater box. That is what I did in my 82. But I think they are hard to come by. If you are nutty about it, you could find an AC delete heater control setup to for the dash, but you don’t need it. I think I saw a tech article on it at thirdgen.org. I’m not sure how you make it look good w/o that box. You can just tie the unused wiring out of the way (or cut it out, I suppose).

The belt is the only other item of real consequence I can think of. Does the AC in your car have its own belt or is it a serp setup (I don’t know the year by year details)? If serp, there is an AC delete pulley you can get. Check thirdgen.org for a GM part number, and buy it on gmpartsdirect.com.

It does clean the compartment up nicely, and changing plug is easier. But I wish I never pulled the AC out of my Trans Am. It would have helped resale value. Yes, I know, you don’t care. I didn’t either. Until I went to sell it. And mine didn’t work. Sounds like your does, bonus.

I might be misunderstanding you, but I wouldn’t take the heat out too. Unless you are building a race car. I guess if you are, you just weld some patch panels in, smooth it out & paint it.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

no such thing as a freon tank. the big canister looking thing is the drier.

Anyway, just get all the refridgerant out of the system. I would recommend using a AC machine, but its really up to you. If its R12 in the lines, be careful, it isnt very good for you. R134a is a little less harsh, but still not good. Once you get the crap out of the lines and system, disconnect or cut the lines, unbolt the compressor and throw it in the garbage. I guess you want to get rid of the condenser too, to do that, you're gonna have to remove the radiator. not a huge deal, but it can get sort of messy.

You mentioned removing the heater core.....have fun. you have to take the dash out I believe. I never got around to doing mine when I had my GTA so i dont know exactly how long it will take. I doubt you will get everything done in one day, but I can see getting all the AC equipment out in a day.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
camaro2you

I agree the heater core is a pain in the ass and i even did it when i had the dash out!!!
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
Teds89IROC

I removed my AC and put a heater box in its place out of a late 80's S10 pickup, worked just as well with minor modification. Still have to remove my condensor, I will in a couple of weeks. As for the AC tank, I just cracked it open and walked away lol

~Ted
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

You don't need to remove the radiator to get the condensor out, just need to remove the upper shroud/hold down, and lean the radiator back (carefully if you have an automatic - don't want to damage the trans cooler lines).

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance