Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > South Jersey

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Cape May---> Attractions? Accommodations?

Yes, I am planning on invading the deep south...

It will be just a weekend trip for my Gf and I, and I'm just seeing what the best attractions are down there. Mainly see just wants to get away by ourselves for a little bit.

So far I looked up about carriage and trolley tours and the Promenade(boardwalk). As for a hotel, Id like something more modern, not a B&B.

Recommendations? suggestions?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
S.J.SLEEPER

We just went down there last month. Always go once a year.My wife loves the horse & buggy rides. bout 25-30 min. learn alot about the area & see very neat stuff. All the hotels are pretty nice. Can't remember the name but one has a Tiki bar & pool, its right on the strip,Very nice & price isn't too bad.
Downtown has some nice places to eat & lil shops. Cape May zoo is pretty close too. We mostly go down just for the scenary & relaxing atmosphere. Here's us on a buggy ride, wife pregnant, so she wanted to go down for again before the baby is born.
By the way, Cape May Zoo has really cleaned up over the past few years. Actually pretty nice to go to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my galaxy pics 094.jpg (83.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg my galaxy pics 096.jpg (96.2 KB, 21 views)
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
k_garretson23
12 Second Club

wildwood isnt too far from cape may, there is a big boardwalk car show the 22/23

2002 Trans Am Ws-6 M6:
bolt-on's-tick-monster-UMI-
k_garretson23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Slow-V6

I would check out the Cape may lighthouse. Its right on the beach.. There is a bird observator right next to it and on the beach there is a old WW2 fort I believe.

Cape May is for quiet vacations. Not really a place to party.

As far as eating Check out the lobster House.. It is very cool.. Its right on the docks.
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/

Last edited by Slow-V6; 09-04-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
jam01

off season should be easy to find a hotel, there are a few there besides the b&b. sorry i cant recommend any it has been a long time since i have been there. ill second the lobster house, and there is a nice but strange restaurant in rio grande on rt 47, it is off exit 4 on gsp. or you could follow rt 9 to 47. there is also the rio station i think that is more of a diner but it was good. you could always venture into wildwood. you could also check out the ferry, there is a bar and food available there, you could also venture into delaware and maryland if your feeling adventurous, i think the fee is $30 each way. there is a web site.
jam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

I believe JW lives there (at least part time) if you want to PM him.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Stevoone

I was just down there 2 weekends ago. Our boys love going to the Zoo, it's free but parking can be difficult. They open at 10:00 AM, if you get there at 9:45 just before they open the parking lot is usually empty and all of the animals are up and just getting fed.

The Lighthouse was $7 per adult and $3 for kids. On the inlet side Of Cape May there are some gift shops and you can also see the S.S. Atlantus.

Our trip was kid oriented so we stuck to things that would hold their attention.

Last edited by Stevoone; 09-04-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

definately hit up the other shore towns while youre down there. Wildwood's good

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
V
Stalker

thanks for all the responses.

we are in our early 30s so not looking to party really. not that weekend at least lol. i saw some stuff about wine tasting tours and that is more of my gf's speed. the trolley tours lighthouse and zoo all sound good. we really just want some quality time together, and no kids yet haha.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Slow-V6

then deffinatly go to dinner at the lobster house and try to make reservations for a table on there sailboat out back in the marina.. right around sunset is perfect..

cape may is perfect for you guys then.. its a old style nj city. not alot of big buisseness or applebees type resturants in the city center area..its very quiet on the beachs .. you almost always see dolpins swiming in the ocean..
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
DadsZ28
11 Second Club

Since I'm getting older but not quite an old fart yet me and the wife luv the peaceful setting of cape may. All the recommended things mentioned above are really nice. We have stayed at the Lamer hotel...very nice check it out, its at the high end of cape may looks right over the ocean, very quiet. We have had very nice stays there recently. Hope you enjoy! Hey even saw a caravan of corvettes cruising down beach ave from our balcony last time we were there.

2010 Camaro SS red jewell tint coat.
DadsZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
3.4 grape of wrath

Don't forget to check out the concrete ship when your there.
http://www.concreteships.org/ships/ww1/atlantus/
8.021 @ 86.38 1/8 MILE
BEST 60' 1.781
3.4 grape of wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #13
KevinW

We always stop at the lucky bones grill right across the street from the lobster house. Since it is on the right side, it is easy to pull in on the way to CM. The lobster house is always crowded and making that left (both times) into the access road is a nightmare! Lucky bones has good food, reasonably priced, lots of parking (on gravel )

Lobster house is a really nice place, but you better have a reservation and get there extra early and be ready to spend some time!

CM is all about taking it slow, walking up and down washington street, grabbing some ice cream, going in the bookstore that was a bank, sitting at an outside table at the ugly mug with some brews and Bar food and people watch.

Last edited by KevinW; 09-05-2012 at 06:40 AM.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
jam01

oh yeah almost forgot, stay away from the villa's.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
JW

Ok, let me give some info from a local.

Winery Tours are a great idea, there are a bunch of them in Cape May now so I would suggest hitting them up, they are all pretty close proximity so you can either do a tour or just drive to them.

Carriage rides are not my thing, but I see plenty of people do them, so if you like them, go for it.

Trolley rides I kinda feel the same about, but at least you will get a guided tour with some history about the town.

Lots of people tend to rent bikes and ride around town, there are a few bike rental areas you can get them from.

Walk the Washington Street Mall, its small, quiet but people tend to enjoy it. Go to the fudge kitchen and see the candy you miss from childhood lol.
The Ugly Mug Bar/Food is in the mall. You can sit outside or in, its also not a bad chill place at night for few beers.
Couple other bars along the beach are Cabanas & Carneys, they are on the same block and maybe 50 steps away from each other.

The boardwalk is nice for walk/jog, there is also some shops and couple arcades and food.

The Cape May Beach is a pay beach and you will need beach tags that they sell as soon as you try to enter.

The lighthouse is nice and is located in Cape May Point, an is close to the WW2 bunker on the beach. If you go all the way down to the end of the Sunset Blvd. at the beach is where the Concrete Sunken Ship is.

The Cape May County Zoo is actually really nice, and its FREE! It is in Cape May Court House(thats the town name) if you go up the parkway North from the beach it is the 3rd traffic light on the parkway, make a left and go straight.

Food there is a lot of choices
1.) Everyone is recommending the Lobster House as will I. But here is the deal with the Lobster House, there are 2 areas. 1. is outside on the deck at the Raw Bar, you seat yourself and go get beers and food from the ordering area you get to sit right next to the fishing fleet, sometimes food ordering and pickup can be confusing for visitors, you can also go on the boat (Schooner) and eat on there with a waitress.
2. Inside, here is great food, but you are going to wait, be prepared to wait long too! Forget a reservation because they don't take them, average wait on a Saturday is 1.5 hours so honestly its really tough for dinner sometimes for visitors. If you do go inside, and want a desert recommendation, get the bread pudding! Its f'ing awesome! If you let me know what weekend you are going down, and want to get into dinner inside fast (5-10mins) give me a call, I can get you a table if I am around.(its kinda a local privilege thing since they know me)

Lucky Bones is right across the street from the Lobster House, its ok... and usually has bunch of people there too, but I am not too into it.

Other place I like is just over the Wildwood Crest bridge, its Two Mile Crab House. They have all you can eat Blue Claw Crabs for I think it was $30-35 bucks.

The restaurant someone else mentioned that is a little strange is most likely Menz in Rio Grande, its a dinner place as well, its ok.

The Washington Inn is a fancy expensive restaurant also in Cape May, owned by the same person that owns Cape May Winery, its very good but you will pay for it.

For breakfast at the beach in Cape May, go to Georges, its a tiny little place on the corner right at the boardwalk across from Uncle Bills Pancake House. Get their Banana French Toast, you can thank me later! Also, if you can't get in Goerges, Uncle Bills is a good 2nd option for Breakfast.

The Mad Batter is not too bad too.

There are a few ice cream shops around town for desserts if you want.

Hotel/Stay well if you do not want to stay in a B&B which is almost all of Cape May there is Congress Hall, which is on the beach. Might be a bit expensive though. I don't really have many recommendations for stay, there are not tons of hotels in Cape May, just shop around online and probably find one.

I'm sure I forgot some stuff, but if you want to PM me for my phone number you can ask me anything you might want to know.

JW
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
JW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam01 View Post
oh yeah almost forgot, stay away from the villa's.
Its called the Villas, its a part of Lower Township, and its not horrible but there is basically no reason at all for a visitor to be over there, its just neighborhoods really.

JW
Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
WS6_CAIT

dolphin watching!
http://www.capemaywhalewatcher.com/dolphin-watch.htm
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
JW

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the dolphin whale watching tours.
There is also, fishing charters you can take.

Kayaking & paddle boarding.

JW
Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
Slow-V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
We always stop at the lucky bones grill right across the street from the lobster house. Since it is on the right side, it is easy to pull in on the way to CM. The lobster house is always crowded and making that left (both times) into the access road is a nightmare! Lucky bones has good food, reasonably priced, lots of parking (on gravel )

Have to check out Lucky Bones next time we are down there.

Yeah the Lobster House is a PITA to park and to get in and out of. We usually eat outside @ the raw bar and walk up and order from that little window. My ex and I got a table on that ship out back and that was really different and romantic. Never had dinner on the deck of a ship before. I was still in the Navy @ the time stationed on a Aircraft Carrier so I was sorta biased about eating on a ship. I must say it was very nice and they even had a dancing area were we danced a little after dinner..

Last edited by Slow-V6; 09-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #20
wrong generation

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
it is the 3rd traffic light on the parkway,
i bet when paul reads this he will have to double take and read it a second or third time lol.

not sure he knows anything about the parkway having traffic lights lol.
wrong generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #21
jam01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
Its called the Villas, its a part of Lower Township, and its not horrible but there is basically no reason at all for a visitor to be over there, its just neighborhoods really.

JW
i know what it is, while i do not live in cape may county. i worked at the gm/ chrysler vw subaru dealer for lots of years and have driven through that village and seen some strange things. but i was just warning them it is easy to get lost in some of the areas, especially at night.
menz's restaurant used to be really good, 20 yrs ago it has gone down hill since? is atkinson's still ok? if there close to the zoo that is right down rt9, we used to go there for lunch i remember that being good.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
steverc0034

If your looking for a nice place to go..go to cape may wildwood is the crappy part of south Jeresy they have the board walk and rides and bars but that's abiut it. Not a very clean place.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > South Jersey