Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
BullittSVT

HID Suggestions

My current stock set up is awful, don't feel like putting in a HALOs or projector kit, but I do want increased visibility (not looking to hear about sylvania bulb replacements)

Looking to budget around 75-100$ shipped for these, what are some quality HID companies that won't break the bank? I'd want to get around a 6000k or 8000k discharge. Preferably looking for suggestions with first hand knowledge but will definitely appreciate word of mouth results.

Car is in sig

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9

1998 Camaro, 3.8L M5 Stock - SOLD
2001 Camaro Z28 M6 SLP LM1, Lid
- FOR SALE

BullittSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

Expand your budget a little and get a bls kit. I've seen both that kit and cheap HIDs. The BLS kit by far is superior
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Your budget would get you into a basic DDM Tuning HID kit. Spending a little more ($150) will get you a better kit. Regardless, you will certainly increase your light output but this is far from ideal throwing these into your stock style housings. My offerings are above your budget but this is something you would only need to do once to get the best light output from a drop in housing setup. The projectors used in our kits are superior to those in the projector housings you will find on ebay.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
V
Stalker

HIDs without a projector lets the brighter light go all over the place, mainly up and is blinding to oncoming drivers. The correct cutoff in proper projectors makes them safe.

you can spend $40-50 for an ebay plug and play kit but its not the ideal way. However, pair that kit with real HID projectors(not the halogen projectors in most "projector" housings) and you will have a good, useable setup.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Either wetsand your lenses and use halogen bulbs or pony up and get a projector setup and <3 life.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Either wetsand your lenses and use halogen bulbs or pony up and get a projector setup and <3 life.
This. Although I'll add, don't bother trying to retrofit it yourself. I tried and its been a disaster, even with help from BLS himself.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
BullittSVT

Wet sanding will come soon, haven't done it in some months. One of my buddies suggested a good kit for the money thats a little over my budget but all of his friends have had excellent results.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Volt-HID-D...-p/vdp-hid.htm

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9

1998 Camaro, 3.8L M5 Stock - SOLD
2001 Camaro Z28 M6 SLP LM1, Lid
- FOR SALE

BullittSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Dude all that stuff is chinese bottom of the line garbage. I would only go with something from TRS that carries a warranty AND I would only use it in a proper housing. I'll save the rant though. The best halogen output you are going to get is the silverstars, they just burn out faster from what I have seen. Add a little wetsanding to prevent any negating of light output and enjoy.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
00 LS1 Z28

Dont waste your money on expensive HIDs. I got my hids from DDMtunning 3 years ago 6k for my Z28 and still lighting up the whole street. They take MAYBE 5 min to completly warm up. My friend just bought HIDs for his mustang n paid almost $300 they take about 30 min to warm up. DDM HIDs are very good. They are very clear looking and bright. I just placed a order for my jeep. And plus there 40 bucks cant beat it

Last edited by 00 LS1 Z28; 10-02-2012 at 09:38 AM.
00 LS1 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 LS1 Z28 View Post
Dont waste your money on expensive HIDs. I got my hids from DDMtunning 3 years ago 6k for my Z28 and still lighting up the whole street. They take MAYBE 5 min to completly warm up. My friend just bought HIDs for his mustang n paid almost $300 they take about 30 min to warm up. DDM HIDs are very good. They are very clear looking and bright. I just placed a order for my jeep. And plus there 40 bucks cant beat it
You put hids in your stock halogen housings?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

Quote:
Shut up Brandon ur HIDs are teh gay
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
JerzLT1

If i get another Fbody street car, it'll be getting the BLS kit
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
HID kit prices and brands vary like anything else. I've used DDM for plenty of our kits and they have worked well. If you are going to quote prices, better off also stating its $40+ shipping which is slow and is not cheap either. No HID kit takes 30 mins to warm up so while he may have gotten ripped off with his kit, lamps should come to full brightness in under 30 secs for an aftermarket kit (even quicker with OEM products). I sound like a broken record with this but since its my business I feel the need to comment. You are certainly lighting up the street and everything around it by throwing the HIDs into a factory reflector style housing. Post a picture of your output from anything closer than 25 feet and you will see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzLT1 View Post
If i get another Fbody street car, it'll be getting the BLS kit

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance