Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 07-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

T56 retrofitters - reverse lockout

Just an FYI for those that have retrofitted a T56 into an older vehicle, there is a module you can buy to make your reverse lockout solenoid function like it would in a factory optioned car. I had a bit of a mis-communication with Hanlon and they sent me one. I didn't open it, but I believe it is only three wire hookup, power, ground and the sensing terminal to the VSS
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

This one? https://www.wirebarn.com/T56--TR6060...ule_p_470.html

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
PolarBear

I doesn't look like that, I believe the part Bob sent me is an actual Tremec part, but it probably functions the same. It is pretty small, like the size of a $0.50 piece and only about 1/4" thick
Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Lmk how it works, i am interested in using one.

American powertrain just came out with one but its a whole harness including backup lights so thats a bit much and i think pricey

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

That's pretty nice. So does your car have the lockout hooked up or no? :O
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
PolarBear

I don't need it, Bob send it to me because of a mis-communication.

I have the reverse lockout solenoid connected as stock in my 92, but the solenoid wasn't working. I had the power and signal wires backwards, but when I switched them it blew the fuse. In theory, it shouldn't matter which way the wires are connected, but there is a diode in there, kind of like for the AC compressor clutch. I am not positive, but I think it was bad this whole time and the coil was open but the diode was preventing "reverse" voltage since the + and - were backwards and with the voltage forward it is almost a dead short.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #7
TaKid455

You're over complicating it. Hook it up to the brake light switch. Actually hook it up to the cruise control terminal on the switch. Run a ground. Done.
Odds you will be braking from a 4-5 shift are slim and the 6-5 shift is straight in line.

I've done installs with auxiliary switch and the brake pedal. Both are viable options with the brake light one being the most mindless.
TaKid455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKid455 View Post
You're over complicating it. Hook it up to the brake light switch. Actually hook it up to the cruise control terminal on the switch. Run a ground. Done.
Odds you will be braking from a 4-5 shift are slim and the 6-5 shift is straight in line.

I've done installs with auxiliary switch and the brake pedal. Both are viable options with the brake light one being the most mindless.
I'm not over complicating anything. Mine works like I have it in a 4th gen f-body.

The brake pedal one is also the wrong way to do it. I've personally seen someone (will be left un-named), that had the RLO hooked up to the brake light switch, zing reverse down-shifting from 6th trying to go to 5th.
Adding a switch is better for sure, but I want it to work like it's supposed to. If I get around to putting the 73 back together I will definitely run one of these boxes. If it's worth doing, it worth doing right.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKid455 View Post

This is how i did it in my third gen with a lt1 t56. But ive heard (like 2 instances) of fire, who knows if it was directly related or could have been for another reason.

In the 71 the t56 magnums lock out is so light i just manually override and it jam the stick into reverse
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:08 PM   #10
Teds89IROC

pretty cool that they have something like that. I did my T56 swap back in 08ish, I just wired the RLO to a push button switch on the console. It works fine, but would be nice to eliminate needing two hands to go into to reverse
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #11
PolarBear

I forgot to take a picture before I sent it back. It was not a Tremec piece, but if Bob sells it, must be pretty reliable.
I was wrong about hooking it up, there were 4 wires, power, ground, VSS and one to operate the solenoid. You connected the power to the unit and to one side of the RLO, and one side of the VSS went to ground.
It was a little thicker than I posted, but the footprint was only about the size of a fifty cent piece, so it was fairly small.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline