Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 07-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
dan30thz28

LCA Install Price?

Hi,
I have a set of SLP tubular LCA's that I either want to install with someone (because I'm not sure I the tools/ability on my own), or find out how much that install would cost if I did it myself. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass SX: 455 4bbl, 3.23 posi, W27 Aluminum Rear Cover, Hurst Dual Gate Shifter, Shift Kit, Ram Air Hood with Complete OAI induction.

2002 VW Jetta TDI GLS 5-speed
dan30thz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #2
Fasterthanyou

LCA's as in rear LCA's? If so, it's only 4 bolts for all 2 arms. 2 on either end... not hard at all. The only trick is to do ONE at a time. Don't remove both arms, remove one, install new, go to next side, same thing. Have the rear of the car supported by something other than the rear itself. A good place is right infront of the the LCA where it bolts to the body.
A shop could do it for you in about 10 minutes if they're lazy.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Jersey_TA
10 Second Club

what ^ said

it's cake. put the back of the car on jackstands and it's 4 bolts.
2000 T/A WS6 - 11.190 @ 119.79...SOLD
Jersey_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Re: LCA Install Price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30thz28
would cost .
Sincerely,
Dan,

No you can't do it yourself, you'll need help and very special tools.

I have the tools and can help, standard CJCFO price - Beer!

JB
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:34 AM   #5
9secfirebird

the problem isnt so much putting the new ones in, its getting them out. the bushings have a steel sleeve inside of them that the bolt goes through, and the bolt really likes to rust inside of them sometimes and can give you a very hard time. install time is approx 2.5 mins. and have new bolts for them, it will make it easier
Old 07-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secfirebird
the problem isnt so much putting the new ones in, its getting them out. the bushings have a steel sleeve inside of them that the bolt goes through, and the bolt really likes to rust inside of them sometimes and can give you a very hard time. install time is approx 2.5 mins. and have new bolts for them, it will make it easier
yah you'll need a little muscle to get the old ones out but they are pretty simple.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Soak em down in PB Blaster a few minutes before you try to remove them. That will make life much easier

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #8
9secfirebird

sometimes its tough to get the pb blaster spray in between the bushing and the bolt inside the lca. most of the time i just cut the bolt of right infront of the bushing and before the mount. hence the new bolts
Old 07-27-2005, 12:13 PM   #9
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
sometimes its tough to get the pb blaster spray in between the bushing and the bolt inside the lca. most of the time i just cut the bolt of right infront of the bushing and before the mount. hence the new bolts
fwiw ive never had to cut the bolt...ive done about 6 lca installs now
Old 07-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #10
dan30thz28

LCA's

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies. John, name the place and we'll work out your beer needs. Yes it's rear LCA's. I'd also like to get replacment bolts for the the LCA's since everyone says they break when you do this job. What's the best place to go for that? Thanks for all your assistance once again.

Sincerely,

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass SX: 455 4bbl, 3.23 posi, W27 Aluminum Rear Cover, Hurst Dual Gate Shifter, Shift Kit, Ram Air Hood with Complete OAI induction.

2002 VW Jetta TDI GLS 5-speed
dan30thz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #11
9secfirebird

iunno...i have done alot on thirdgens (which are older) that ive had that problem with, afew fourthgens too
Old 07-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #12
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
iunno...i have done alot on thirdgens (which are older) that ive had that problem with, afew fourthgens too
yah i dunno either...i helped with chucks 86 Z & had no problems as well as my 98 as well as a few cars in between with no problems...maybe you just have bad luck
Old 07-27-2005, 03:00 PM   #13
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

The ones on my '87 had prolly never been touched before I just replaced them, and I didn't have much trouble taking them off. Cleaned them up with a wire wheel and tossed 'em back in with boxed LCA's and poly bushings.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:28 PM   #14
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Re: LCA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30thz28
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies. John, name the place and we'll work out your beer needs. Yes it's rear LCA's. I'd also like to get replacment bolts for the the LCA's since everyone says they break when you do this job. What's the best place to go for that? Thanks for all your assistance once again.

Sincerely,
Can we do it at your place? that would probably be easiest?

Your car has never seen rain or winter, I wouldn't worry about the bolts being rusty. Like the others said, soak then a few times before we do them. Any Monday or Tuesday night is normally good for me other then the 2nd Tuesday of the month I'll be at Fudds.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #15
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

You got a PM

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech