Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Riding Mowers

Gentlemen:

I'm moving in the next couple of weeks to a house with a relatively large lawn . The cost my dad pays for lawn service at his home is criminal, and he has a smaller lawn. Not happening.

Thus, I've been looking for riding mowers on Craigslist but I keep seeing a massive variation in pricing. Most are junk, but people are asking for top dollar for the ones that aren't. I found one that appears reasonable (https://newjersey.craigslist.org/grd/6004812448.html) but the only other relatively new mower that is similarly priced needs work.

Any tips on what to look for? Any mowers or engine manufacturers to stay away from? Should I stop being cheap and buy new?

Gracias.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
zraffz

Not sure how big of a lawn you are talking but the commercial mowers are significantly faster. Even a used hydrostatic walk behind with a velke wheel would be good. You can pick them up for 1000-1500 bucks. I'd avoid the belt driven junk unless you like humping around a 400lb mower.

They take a few days to master but make quick work out of lawns. I'd push for the zero turn but truthfully the walk behind holds hills better and makes quicker work in tight areas and leaves less turf damage.

Any major brand works; scag, bobcat, exmark. You check for play in the spindles, how even the mower tracks (air pressure must be even and trim properly adjusted) and any abnormal noises/leaks. You'd want dual hydro pumps. Motor brands all have pros and cons depending on the year. Anything Honda or older briggs van guard is bullet proof.

I had a 48" bobcat zero turn and hated how it handled hills (I'm used to the big 60"+). I used it to do my lawn, my mom's and a rental property. I sold it for a 48" scag walk behind with a velke wheel and am very happy I did. On my lawn and the rental, I mow much faster. On my mom's 1 acre lawn, it's about a wash at 40-45 minutes. Once you get the hang of backing up in reverse without getting off the velke wheel, you can cut just as fast as a small zero turn.

Last edited by zraffz; 02-24-2017 at 01:30 PM.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
Not sure how big of a lawn you are talking but the commercial mowers are significantly faster. Even a used hydrostatic walk behind with a velke wheel would be good. You can pick them up for 1000-1500 bucks. I'd avoid the belt driven junk unless you like humping around a 400lb mower.

They take a few days to master but make quick work out of lawns. I'd push for the zero turn but truthfully the walk behind holds hills better and makes quicker work in tight areas and leaves less turf damage.

Any major brand works; scag, bobcat, exmark. You check for play in the spindles, how even the mower tracks (air pressure must be even and trim properly adjusted) and any abnormal noises/leaks. You'd want dual hydro pumps. Motor brands all have pros and cons depending on the year. Anything Honda or older briggs van guard is bullet proof.

I had a 48" bobcat zero turn and hated how it handled hills (I'm used to the big 60"+). I used it to do my lawn, my mom's and a rental property. I sold it for a 48" scag walk behind with a velke wheel and am very happy I did. On my lawn and the rental, I mow much faster. On my mom's 1 acre lawn, it's about a wash at 40-45 minutes. Once you get the hang of backing up in reverse without getting off the velke wheel, you can cut just as fast as a small zero turn.
Came here to say exactly this. If you don't need a tractor for pulling, plowing, etc go for a commercial mower. Massive difference and worth the higher price.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 02-24-2017 at 01:35 PM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
zraffz

The home owner tractors are a joke. It would take you 2-3 hours to mow my mom's lawn with one. A 60" zero turn takes about half an hour. My little walk behind (which I ride on standing upright) takes about 45 minutes. I guess it depends how long you want to spend mowing your lawn and how nice you want it to look when you're done.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
WildBillyT

Quote:
The home owner tractors are a joke. It would take you 2-3 hours to mow my mom's lawn with one. A 60" zero turn takes about half an hour. My little walk behind (which I ride on standing upright) takes about 45 minutes. I guess it depends how long you want to spend mowing your lawn and how nice you want it to look when you're done.
They are of questionable quality, too. My boss used to have to buy a new Cub Cadet tractor every 3 years. Kept breaking expensive axle shafts or something.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Thanks for the input. The lawn is flat so no hills to worry about. Propert is over 4.5 acres, but probably 75 percent of that is wooded. I have an ATV that I use for plowing, so no need for a tractor. When I was younger my dad gave me a reel mower and told me to use that. I thought a tractor was as good as it got.

Are the zero turn mowers the ones you sit on with the two arms that come out towards the rider? Are they better for flat lawns?
Old 02-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
elle

I sell /service lawn equipment and own a retail /sales shop. First thing to do is find a price range you would like to be in and start looking at different brands that fit your needs. Like everything else everyone wants a "commercial" mower until they find out that real "commercial" mowers will be in the $9k plus range. That being said you can find a very nice zero turn commercial style mower much cheaper. Let me know if you have any questions.
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
Thanks for the input. The lawn is flat so no hills to worry about. Propert is over 4.5 acres, but probably 75 percent of that is wooded. I have an ATV that I use for plowing, so no need for a tractor. When I was younger my dad gave me a reel mower and told me to use that. I thought a tractor was as good as it got.

Are the zero turn mowers the ones you sit on with the two arms that come out towards the rider? Are they better for flat lawns?
There are different kinds. Some you sit on and steer it like a tank; each wheel is controlled with a lever in your left or right hand.

Others you walk behind (or ride on a sulky) and squeeze levers to control wheel speed.

I *think* member "elle" on here runs L&L lawn equipment. Hit him up.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

this: http://progreengrass.com/chevy-350-s...ay-lawn-mower/

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

maybe something like this ?
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Make Lawn Mowing Fun Again
Old 02-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #12
wretched73

I got about 2 acres, maybe 1/2 an acre is woods.

I got a used 48" walk behind bobcat and it takes me about ~30-45 min to cut the lawn. I love it and it fits between the wheel wells in the bed of my truck so transporting is easy as pie.

My parents have a similar size yard that i cut with a ride on tractor and that took easily 2 hours to do a nice job
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #13
DirtyBird

I have about 2 acres of graas and it takes about an hour tops to cut it with a craftsman ride on. Like anything ive had to replace parts on it but i have a spare mower i have for parts so i dont worry. My buddy does home forclosures for the bank and he has to cut lawns in the warm season, he uses a toro zero turn, hes had it for a few years now and no complaints.
DirtyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #14
MDSheds_SS
11 sec club

Social Networks:

Craftmens 36" 10.5 hp walk behind. Love it for cutting and leaves. only complaint is it's a bit loud. Smalller property tho. Parts are the same as a cub cadet from HD so they are available if needed. Also made an attachment to move my car trailer with it.
86 Buick GN Lesabre 1 of 117 (4-Sale)
MDSheds_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #15
The_Bishop
Power Member

Went through this same debate a couple of years ago. Ended up getting a Toro Timecutter 42" deck zero turn. Went with a 42 because my lawn has a few dips and hills that would make the edges of a bigger deck scalp. Zero regrets. I can mow at full speed, it has great maneuverability, and with the bagger attachment it makes picking up leaves in the fall a breeze.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #16
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
I sell /service lawn equipment and own a retail /sales shop. First thing to do is find a price range you would like to be in and start looking at different brands that fit your needs. Like everything else everyone wants a "commercial" mower until they find out that real "commercial" mowers will be in the $9k plus range. That being said you can find a very nice zero turn commercial style mower much cheaper. Let me know if you have any questions.
He has zero reason to buy anything new. He could buy a 61" ztr with 1500 hours for 4 grand but he could spend a quarter of that on a 48" walk behind.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:11 AM   #17
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
He has zero reason to buy anything new. He could buy a 61" ztr with 1500 hours for 4 grand but he could spend a quarter of that on a 48" walk behind.
Actually, I'll probably end up going to see him when the time comes. It isn't as simple as you say. A good condition used mower isn't a quarter of the price and most everything you can find is beat up by a landscaping company.

I'm not as handy as most of the people on this forum, so a new condition mower with a warranty has great value to me. Not to mention many of the companies will finance the machine for you for a year or so.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #18
elle

Quote:
OK.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #19
elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
Actually, I'll probably end up going to see him when the time comes. It isn't as simple as you say. A good condition used mower isn't a quarter of the price and most everything you can find is beat up by a landscaping company.

I'm not as handy as most of the people on this forum, so a new condition mower with a warranty has great value to me. Not to mention many of the companies will finance the machine for you for a year or so.

Even if you decide to buy closer to home I would help with any questions you might have. I understand having questions and not being able to have answers. We just had our bathroom redone. The contractor doing it used his own plumber. I asked a plumber I use for advice on buying faucets etc. He had no problem helping me and understood the situation.

There is def a huge market for used. Like everything else it takes a lot of time and leg work to find the right piece.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge