Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing

Notices

Old 12-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #51
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
My seats are in front of the hoop.

The bar/cage attaches to the strongest points in the car, like the front subframe and torque boxes, and creates a safety capsule to a point. Many new cars are designed like this, especially the little smart cars etc. I'm sure much of that was drawn from racing and f1 especially, they seem to be the cutting edge with driver protection in an accident from what I gather.
Right, I know that, but as you can see, a crash means your head/body are moving a lot. Seat is not static but that bar is, so just concerned.

Is there a rule about the proximity of main hoop to seat back?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #52
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

Gonna throw my 0.02 in here since I am in the same boat. I have a Wolfe 6pt sitting in my garage but have already come to the realization that I am going to be needing a full cage. From what I have researched, the 6pts are really not that bad as far as clearance goes. The hoop is decently far away and the door bars can be removed when you get swing outs with it (like I did). S&W makes a kit to convert a 6pt into a 10pt, which I believe is good to 8.50 (forget the mph). My friend has that conversion in his Vette and IMO I would not run it on a street car. His helmet rests on the bar when he sits in it, so clearance sucks. What I am going to do is put the 6pt I have in there now and get someone to do the 10pt conversion custom, so that I have the most head clearance from the halo possible. And just a tip when you are looking into it, the bar that goes across attaching to the 2 a-pillar bars behind the dash isnt required until 7.50, so you dont need that...
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #53
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Matt, from what I've read here, I'd lean against the cage in your case.

You have NOT built a race car. Between the engine bay aesthetics, transmission and gear choices, and power levels you've made your decision clear. There were more "All Out" approaches you could have taken, but bypassed.

It's a great weekend warrior. Enough Go to make you giddy, fun summertime driver and car show/meet attendee. As for the 2-3 track days a year you'll do, you may very well slip through the cracks and get to run down the strip. Of course, eventually you will raise an eyebrow and get booted for not having a full cage, but in the meantime, you'll have a chance to reevaluate your appreciation of seat-time, be it on the track or everywhere else. You'll spend more than 90% of your time on the street. I'd design towards that, if I were you.

Agreed Scott, A+ thread.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #54
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmanvette75 View Post
Gonna throw my 0.02 in here since I am in the same boat. I have a Wolfe 6pt sitting in my garage but have already come to the realization that I am going to be needing a full cage. From what I have researched, the 6pts are really not that bad as far as clearance goes. The hoop is decently far away and the door bars can be removed when you get swing outs with it (like I did). S&W makes a kit to convert a 6pt into a 10pt, which I believe is good to 8.50 (forget the mph). My friend has that conversion in his Vette and IMO I would not run it on a street car. His helmet rests on the bar when he sits in it, so clearance sucks. What I am going to do is put the 6pt I have in there now and get someone to do the 10pt conversion custom, so that I have the most head clearance from the halo possible. And just a tip when you are looking into it, the bar that goes across attaching to the 2 a-pillar bars behind the dash isnt required until 7.50, so you dont need that...
Not to be taken as me being a pain, but from what I read so far, converting a 6pt bar to cage with halo is much more work than buying a 10 pt cage new. So think that over before ruining the resale on your bar.

A 6 pt is good to what, bottom 9s no?
Old 12-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #55
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Right, I know that, but as you can see, a crash means your head/body are moving a lot. Seat is not static but that bar is, so just concerned.

Is there a rule about the proximity of main hoop to seat back?
Not that I can recall, just the seatback is supposed to be affixed to it which would prevent what you don't want.

Quote:
Not to be taken as me being a pain, but from what I read so far, converting a 6pt bar to cage with halo is much more work than buying a 10 pt cage new. So think that over before ruining the resale on your bar.

A 6 pt is good to what, bottom 9s no?
10.0/135 last I checked. How often do you even race? Track rentals, they don't care. If you do a T&T night, just beat up some 14 second street cars with some half throttle to the 1/8th then FULL PULLLLLLLL
Old 12-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #56
LTb1ow

Quote:
Not that I can recall, just the seatback is supposed to be affixed to it which would prevent what you don't want.

10.0/135 last I checked. How often do you even race? Track rentals, they don't care. If you do a T&T night, just beat up some 14 second street cars with some half throttle to the 1/8th then FULL PULLLLLLLL
Ok, so basically if I want to do a bar, plan on a new seat or two that will allow for correct harnesses and for them to be secured to bar so my head doesn't get introduced to it.

I only ask about this topic cause this year I would really like to make it to the LTXshootout and they will want a 6pt. Otherwise, yea, T&T/rentals would not cause me to care about a bar.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #57
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Sounds pretty straightforward to me. You want to meet track requirements reasonably so a 6 pt is likely where you want to be since a 10pt will not be desirable for "street car" status. As you mentioned, make sure you have good seats that are solidly secured to the vehicle, proper harnesses and hope for the best. Hindsight is always a beautiful thing and anything can happen in a crash.... You will always find a crash story that supports any of the well thought out statements made in this thread.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #58
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

6pt makes a lot more sense in this case. A pro installation like deadtrend mentioned will get you a better quality fit and can also lead to increased safety.

However, you were running 137 launching soft. So I dunno where you will end up as far as being "over the line" speed wise.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #59
The_Bishop
Power Member

I'd go with a minimum of a 6 point, then. And in all likelyhood, a pro built/installed 6 point can be built to meet your critera probably far better than a bolt-in kit type.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #60
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
6pt makes a lot more sense in this case. A pro installation like deadtrend mentioned will get you a better quality fit and can also lead to increased safety.

However, you were running 137 launching soft. So I dunno where you will end up as far as being "over the line" speed wise.
Might slow down some between the correct gearing, added weight of safety equipment, and actually hooking up on the line. I think he was rolling the throttle too so it might go 140 instead
Old 12-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #61
LTb1ow

Looks like I can sneak the bar back a ways and if the seat is taller than my head, should be fine in that aspect.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...ing-Track-Cars

Some good reading in that, makes me wanna go strip my car and save up for expensive safety gear.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #62
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Looks like I can sneak the bar back a ways and if the seat is taller than my head, should be fine in that aspect.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...ing-Track-Cars

Some good reading in that, makes me wanna go strip my car and save up for expensive safety gear.
yup, that is the thread i linked to earlier.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #63
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I skimmed it, I'll read it later as it looks like lots of good info but....

Quote:
Driver weight … along with speed, g-forces, etc, plays a role in proper seat selection. The heavier a driver is, the stronger the seat needs to be built to not “fold up” under hard impacts. Racing seat manufacturers are in a tough spot, because the “it won’t happen to me” idiot racers buy seats that are light & cheap. So they need to offer light & cheap seats or they will miss sales to their competitors. This advice is simple … don’t be an idiot by buying the cheapest & lightest seat like this ...

If you can literally flex your seat by moving around in it (parked) … well that my friends is what we call a clue. The seat needs to be strong enough to hold a heavy mass (you) in place during a high-G crash. Do not buy into the myth that the seat needs to flex with you. The seat & 5-7 point harness need to work together to contain you from flinging around in the cockpit in bad crashes. So paper thin “economy racing seats” with no bracing should not be considered safe.
I don't think he has sat in a kirkey OR he is much fatter/stronger/better looking than me. Mine is stiff, doesn't flex at all. I haven't secured it to my bar though, something I should do.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #64
LTb1ow

Quote:
I skimmed it, I'll read it later as it looks like lots of good info but....

I don't think he has sat in a kirkey OR he is much fatter/stronger/better looking than me. Mine is stiff, doesn't flex at all. I haven't secured it to my bar though, something I should do.
Did you read more in detail on that? He says he personally runs a kirkey, but its the heavy duty like .120 thick version.

This is a Wolfe bar, seems like with a 3 point stock seat belt, you are going into the bar on a rollover.

Last edited by LTb1ow; 12-26-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #65
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I have some side shots of mine and with the seats all the way reclined, the bar is just aft of the seats. I would have to get in and see how far my head is from the bar but I recall it being pretty good. Things can move around in an accident obviously so that can change. Thankfully the Corbeau's are much stronger than the factory seats.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #66
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

ET of 11:50 -10.0- slower then 134.9MPH you need a roll bar. That is typically a 6 point type. I have an S+W, which is an 8 point, has cross bars from the main hoop to the trans tunnel. I have swing out and I remove them when not at the track. NHRA rule is the side bar must pass between the shoulder and elbow, so its right at the arm rest on the door, making it a nuisance when cruising. I have my main hoop padded just for a bit of extra safty, and it does reduce some of the visabilty out the back window. NHRA rules define how must room between helmet and bars, and if installed this way, you are not going to make contact with the bar in a crash.

ETS 9.99 - 7:50 over 135 MPH is a roll cage - 10-12 point and a chassi certification. this adds the halo, down tubes at the dash, and through the firewall bars to tie everything together, window nets, parachutes ect. allot more race then street, My Guess, I haven't check the recent rules, but you use to be able to have swingouts.

7:50 -> 175MHP? Pro cage, with the bars that encase the drive. Don't think this is street legal due all the obstructed view. And with this you head can make contact with the bars.

Again, I would need to check the rule book. But NHRA use to have a clause for a "pure stock" car was exempt from some of the safety rules. Pure stock, if you even put in a CAI or changed muffler you were no longer stock.

I always use my 5 point harness have been pulled over a few times and they never questioned me using the 5 point and not the stock belts. But, I know they could.

For the shoulder belts, you can mount to the floor Y-belts, wrap around the cross bar, or mount to the cage. I have tabs welded to the cross tube for by belts.

** There are a few companies that sell roll bars that have thigh high side bars, and removable cross bars so you an use the back seat. these are NOT NHRA legal cages.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 12-26-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #67
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Y belts are no longer legal IIRC.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #68
Dudbird113

If you really wanted to you could use no cage and run to the 1/8, i know plenty of people that do that and have fast cars.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #69
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Did you read more in detail on that? He says he personally runs a kirkey, but its the heavy duty like .120 thick version.

This is a Wolfe bar, seems like with a 3 point stock seat belt, you are going into the bar on a rollover.
I saw afterward and saw the quoted pic was the economy drag.

It all depends on where you install the main hoop as well. That seems a little forward compared to mine. You also can adjust the seat positioning so you aren't under the bar. Mine don't go under but I also have trans am seats, maybe they are taller.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #70
WSex

I put mine as far back as I could especially since I have my seat all the way back. The roll bar dpesnt seem like a danger how I have it setup.
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #71
LTb1ow

Apologies if someone covered this already but with a bar, and no helmet... is a 5pt safer than stock 3pt belt? No airbags.

(I know its not legal DOT wise and I know it would depend on install and how its worn)
Old 12-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #72
WSex

Quote:
Apologies if someone covered this already but with a bar, and no helmet... is a 5pt safer than stock 3pt belt? No airbags.

(I know its not legal DOT wise and I know it would depend on install and how its worn)
No. Bc stock belts are designed tpbstretch and kind of catch you fall. While 5 pts hold you back with no excuses and let your neck fly forward. I guess unless you wear a 5 point a little loose.
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #73
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:

a bar as in a 4 or 6 pt? I'd use 3pts on the street I think.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #74
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Either your face hits the steering wheel or side window or your head tries to go there and paralyzes you instead. Both are good choices.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #75
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
a bar as in a 4 or 6 pt? I'd use 3pts on the street I think.
A bar as in a proper 6 point roll bar. Hoop and downriggers etc.

Quote:
Either your face hits the steering wheel or side window or your head tries to go there and paralyzes you instead. Both are good choices.
That was my thought, stock 3pt belt will slow you down but odds are, I would get a face full of steering wheel. Otherwise, 5pt would hold my body tight and neck/head would take shock.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing