Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
enRo
13 Second Club

How the hell is this possible?

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/2...23/1344/NEWS14

Take note of his age.

Quote:
MORRIS TWP. -- A man whose license has been suspended 78 times was allegedly driving drunk when he crashed into a pickup truck, injuring a man and his 4-year-old daughter, before running away to try and hide in a nearby park, police said Monday.

Shaun P Campbell, 39, of East Rutherford, was charged with driving while intoxicated and obstruction of justice after the Friday evening crash at the intersection of South Street and Spring Valley Road, police said.

Police were called to the intersection by a Morris County Park Police officer at Loantaka Brook Reservation who reported a head-on crash, police said.

Harold A. Bivins Jr., 48, of Chatham Township, and his 4-year-old daughter were in his 2008 Ford pick-up when it was struck head-on by Campbell's 1994 Ford Bronco, police said.

Campbell fled the scene on foot into Loantaka Park, police said.

With the assistance of the Morris County Sheriff's Office K-9 Unit and the Harding Township Police, the driver was apprehended a short time later in the park and was arrested, police said.

Bivins and his daughter were treated at the scene for minor injuries by the Morris Minutemen First Aid Squad, police said.

It was later discovered that Campbell had a $3,500 warrant out of Morris Township for fleeing from a crash in 2007, police said.

Campbell was treated at Morristown Memorial Hospital for head injuries, police said. He was taken to the county jail for default of bail, police said.

Campbell's license is currently suspended, according to Motor Vehicle Commission spokesman Michael Horan.

The latest penalty was the 78th time Campbell's license was suspended. His license was first suspended on March 3, 1987, for driving while intoxicated. Since then, his license was suspended 12 times for that same offense, Horan said.

Campbell's license was suspended another 41 times, including his most recent one on April 10, because of non-moving violations, or administrative offenses such as for failure to appear in court, Horan said.

His license was suspended on other occasions for point violations and driving with a suspended license. Campbell's license currently has 24 points, Horan said.

"Basically, we have the power to suspend the license but we don't have the power to see what they do at every moment," Horan said.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

My only guess is infractions came before laws changed? Is there even a limit to the # of suspensions one can have??

Not that it matters, his license is currently suspended and the dirtbag is still driving.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is there even a limit to the # of suspensions one can have?
Thats why Im asking how the hell is that even possible
Old 04-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

They should cut that guy's right foot off.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 04-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

there is no limit. the state makes most $$$ off of him too.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
wretched73

Quote:
They should cut that guy's right foot off.
Just cut both of his legs off. Someone better suited might need one... Plus he could still drive with a stub
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.

Last edited by wretched73; 04-29-2009 at 02:50 PM.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

24 points on his license, imagine the surcharges...the state makes more money yearly off of this guy on the street than they do with him in prison

Seriously this guy should not be driving and frankly should not be a free man IMO. He obviously has 0 respect for the law or the safety of others.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
baddest434
8 Second Club

12 arrest for DWI and he's not behind bars for years. c'mon
baddest434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
Crayface

IMO the state is being negligent to the fact of safety of others...what if this dude kills someone drunk driving? he should of been taken to prison a long time ago

1987 Iroc-Z Camaro - SOLD
2011 2SS/RS Camaro
Crayface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddest434 View Post
12 arrest for DWI and he's not behind bars for years. c'mon
I bet that comes back to the date of the offense. Laws changed a lot since 1987. Either way, off with his head.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
69BirdX
12 Second Club

how is it possible he is only 39 and lost 78 times during a 22 years of him being able to drive
'04 Pontiac GTO....Sunday Funday Special

69BirdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69BirdX View Post
how is it possible he is only 39 and lost 78 times during a 22 years of him being able to drive
If you do the math, his license was suspended at least once every 3 1/2 months in his 22 years experience behind a wheel
Old 04-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #13
69BirdX
12 Second Club

but you figure after your 3rd offense you def have it for a loss of over year......or no. california he would be in jail
'04 Pontiac GTO....Sunday Funday Special

69BirdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69BirdX View Post
but you figure after your 3rd offense you def have it for a loss of over year......or no. california he would be in jail
like bonzo said a couple times.......that is a recent law

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

they can add up. i just don't know how he hasn't done jail time while on a suspended license, unless they just left that out. you can also get suspensions while suspended, obviously.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Either way, off with his head.
I say literally. I think DUI should be second strike you get your license privelages revoked permanantly. Any offense after that you should be put in prison
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #17
zuuhlsT/A

Put a bullet in him next time he drives. We all got our demons but his should be put out of our misery. Come on... He screws up a 4 year old kid??? WTF???
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, working on it
1990 Pontiac Trans AM WS6, Sold
2002 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk ,#1368 Sold
1995 Pontiac Trans Am, Traded for Hawk
1979 Pontiac Trans Am,Black, Never had a chance
1979 Pontiac Trans Am,Silver, Oak Tree in my way
1979 Pontiac Trans Am Red WS6 sold
zuuhlsT/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

noway how could he have gotten any kind of insurance after even the 10th time? you can't drive without insurance

besides, if he got his license like 16-17 years old, he would have it suspended like 3.5 times a year
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #19
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97camaro View Post

noway how could he have gotten any kind of insurance after even the 10th time? you can't drive without insurance

besides, if he got his license like 16-17 years old, he would have it suspended like 3.5 times a year
There is some missing info, like maybe some of the suspensions were concurrent or perhaps extensions. But he's driving w/o a license, what makes you think he has insurance? Or the car is not insured in his name. I don't see where it was his car that he was driving.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #20
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Quote:
There is some missing info, like maybe some of the suspensions were concurrent or perhaps extensions. But he's driving w/o a license, what makes you think he has insurance? Or the car is not insured in his name. I don't see where it was his car that he was driving.
ok i can see that, but i cant see how his license is suspended and not revoked... especially with dui 12x
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #21
HeadlessNorseman

12 DUIs and he still has a license to suspend? I thought they take it? I know a guy who had his license suspended for 15 or 16 years for DUI and crashing and/or hurting someone, IDK exactly. Thats insane

JSFBOA

Draino?
HeadlessNorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #22
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I say literally. I think DUI should be second strike you get your license privileges revoked permanently. Any offense after that you should be put in prison.
they have the three strikes law about felonies. they should also have a three strikes law about your license. as in the third offense of the same type and you lose it forever. they really have to get tough with these drunk drivers. right now, driving drunk with all of the fines, etc., really amounts to a slap on the wrist. and any good lawyer can get a deal so that either it doesn't show up as a DUI or it doesn't show which time it is (second, third, etc).

you can also fault the judges and their laziness in not requiring a driver abstract every time a DUI case comes before them. it is so easy for judges to order that the driver abstract be in court (just like the cop has to be there). but either laziness or ineptitude keeps people like this on the road because then the judge doesn't have the abstract in front of him to hold this type of person responsible for his multiple (beyond the scope of the law, even! ) DUI convictions. and you can bet either this guy or his lawyer is not going to offer that kind of information up and if asked about it he will either claim ignorance to the prior offenses or bold faced lie about it.

unfortunately, no law is going to keep him from driving on the revoked list. the only thing that will cure him of that is some time in prison (more than 364 days) or a bullet to the grill. it sounds like this guy will be doing some hard time, now that it has been on the news wire. certain people will get a hold of this information and use it to bolster their argument.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L

Last edited by jims69camaro; 05-02-2009 at 09:28 AM.
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #23
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro View Post
they have the three strikes law about felonies. they should also have a three strikes law about your license. as in the third offense of the same type and you lose it forever.
My point was that I do not think the law is strict enough. There is no excuse for DUI, first time you learn your lesson second time should be the last. Some people dont think there is a problem with DUI and it is a big deal, drunk drivers kill people all the time. In this day there is no excuse to call someone or get a cab yet some people continue to do it even when they have no drivers license at all.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #24
fire95bird

My uncle had 2 DUIs over 20 years and got his 3rd one two years ago. He lost his license for 10 years and did 6 months in prison. He didn't get into any accidents, no one was hurt, was just pulled over and got the FST. This guy did so much worse and is still alive. I have no clue how this guy is still driving with all the Mothers Against Drunk Driving and other groups pushing to have the penalties worsened.
fire95bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #25
jims69camaro

i hate to say it, but it goes back to my argument that there are enough laws on the books already. cops need to enforce the laws and judges need to impose the terms. the problem is, people still think that drinking is a social issue when it clearly has much deeper ramifications.

at the very least treat it like the disease that it is and get the person treatment. intervention has to come way before people are allowed to get to this point, because (as our membership shows) when it gets here all people want is his head on a spike.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge