Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 10-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Draven94blackbird

broke trans pan bolt

so this past wensday i did my trans filter change. when i was reinstaling the pan i hand tightned all the bolts in as far as i could and they all went in without a problem. i then started to tighten them with the ratchet and the last bolt snaped off. wondering if anybody in my area knows how to extract the bolt using an extractor so i can use the original threads. i would do it myself but i never done it before and dont realy want to mess up.
Draven94blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
johnjzjz

OK their is a tool it turns in reverse you use a hand drill -- my guess the bolt is 5/16 or 8 MM either way you want one of these for a 5 /16 bolt --- my local hardware store carries them --- CAUTION -- you must drill in the center of the bolt make sure you have it in the middle -- how it works is as it turns in reverse the outer collar grabs the hole you are drilling and spins the broken bolt out click on my picture i sent and copy it so you can show who ever what u want --- the tool will come with directions -- some times a pick and tapping it with a light hammer will also back it out up 2 u -- jz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0409.JPG (5.5 KB, 20 views)
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
Fast92RS
Power Member

Did you take the pan back down? It will be easier that way. You may be able to back the bolt using a spring loaded center punch. Just hit it off center going left to back the bolt out. Otherwise you will have to use an extracter just get a kit that has the drill bit and extracter together. Just make sure you drill the center of the bolt and use the extractor with a t hadle holder and back it out. Do not use the drill with the extractor.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast92RS
Did you take the pan back down? It will be easier that way. You may be able to back the bolt using a spring loaded center punch. Just hit it off center going left to back the bolt out. Otherwise you will have to use an extracter just get a kit that has the drill bit and extracter together. Just make sure you drill the center of the bolt and use the extractor with a t hadle holder and back it out. Do not use the drill with the extractor.

Do not use the drill with the extractor.[/QUOTE]

And u think that because - jz
Old 10-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
Draven94blackbird

im gona run to the hardware store on monday and give it a shot.
Draven94blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
Fast92RS
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz
Do not use the drill with the extractor.

If you use the one you have pictured with a drill thats fine but if you use a regular extrator with the drill and have a stubern bolt it will either strip and not work or brake the extractor.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #7
johnjzjz

anything is possable we have used them for 6 or 8 years wore them out never broke one and the guys in my shop have meat thrown at them for lunch hahahahahahhaha anyway we have found the type pictured especially alloy case trans bolts it works real well now i hope Draven94blackbird doesent brake one off i we ill fell like a ????????????? -- jz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6h3p1160714640.jpg (29.4 KB, 11 views)

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline