Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 01-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #26
BonzoHansen
Admin.

thicker oil like 10w30? What are you running now?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:28 AM   #27
97Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
thicker oil like 10w30? What are you running now?
Mobil 1 5w30
Old 01-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #28
BonzoHansen
Admin.

except cold those are the same 30wt. You'd need to move to 10-40. Not sure that will really help.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-31-2020, 09:48 AM   #29
97Formula

Shop 3 also recommended Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer....
Old 01-31-2020, 10:17 AM   #30
BonzoHansen
Admin.

cool, snake oil fixes all.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:08 AM   #31
wretched73

It seems pretty clear that you are not mechanically inclined, so I'm going to assume these shops are trying to take you for all you're worth.

What did YOU do to diagnose the issue?

Are you SURE it is not an exhaust leak?

Have you verified oil pressure is not a sensor issue? Have you replaced the sensor or hooked up a mechanical gauge?
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:55 PM   #32
97Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched73 View Post
It seems pretty clear that you are not mechanically inclined, so I'm going to assume these shops are trying to take you for all you're worth.

What did YOU do to diagnose the issue?

Are you SURE it is not an exhaust leak?

Have you verified oil pressure is not a sensor issue? Have you replaced the sensor or hooked up a mechanical gauge?
I tried listening around the engine when it was ticking, almost sounded like it was coming from the bottom near the rear of the engine. How do you hook a mechanical gauge to it so I know the true reading? I know the oil pressure sensor is in the rear of the engine and extremely difficult to reach.

I just now drove home from work, and the closer I got home the quieter it got, and the tick was pretty much gone completely when I pulled into the garage. Brought the rpms up to 1500 when I usually hear it, barely noticeable. Couldn't hear at 3000-4000 rpm either.

Seems intermittent, comes and goes, etc. If I had something going on inside the engine like a lifter, I'd hear it all the time, correct?
Old 02-01-2020, 05:29 AM   #33
3.4 grape of wrath

Where do you live? Maybe someone close by can give a listen. Seems like you've had this issue for quite some time.
http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58889
8.021 @ 86.38 1/8 MILE
BEST 60' 1.781

Last edited by 3.4 grape of wrath; 02-01-2020 at 05:33 AM.
3.4 grape of wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #34
97Formula

I'm in the Hamilton/Trenton area. Had my car out a few times this past week when it was warmer, ticking has been less, and even less today. I guess I'm worrying about nothing since I wound up posting this years ago, 10000 miles ago...where the ticking was going on, and then it was gone. Still comes and goes....isn't any worse now. Car still runs great.

Last edited by 97Formula; 02-09-2020 at 06:02 PM.
97Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #35
townsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Formula View Post
I'm in the Hamilton/Trenton area. Had my car out a few times this past week when it was warmer, ticking has been less, and even less today. I guess I'm worrying about nothing since I wound up posting this years ago, 10000 miles ago...where the ticking was going on, and then it was gone. Still comes and goes....isn't any worse now. Car still runs great.
Stop running mobil 1, lt1's dont like it. Actually had multiple valve tip failure's when using mobil 1 5w30 on my heads cam lt1 stuff.

2021 Charger Scat

Wrench/driver 94 Camaro Ellwein 385/D1SC/CPT 4l60e/9" slow pile
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #36
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

It doesn't sound like you have actual located where the ticking is coming from. You really need to do that first! Either invest in a stethoscope or even holding a long screw driver ( handle to your ear, blade to the motor ) touching various spots on the edge of the value cover would help you zero in on where the noise might be coming from.

Figure out where the noise is coming from and what might be causing it before you start throwing parts at it.

LT1s are know for low oil pressure, so unless it's dropping below 15 at idle your probably OK.

Has the car always been run on Mobil1? Did you switch from standard to synthetic? You might have caused some slugged to break free and it's causing a clogged lifter and it's collapsing, why adjusting the values cure it slightly, slightly clogged oil pickup, or something to that effect.

Start by changing the oil and filter. 5W is too thin for an LT1.
Get the recommended GM filter, WIX are good too, but the GM at Walmart is probably cheaper. Don't use the other brands, that could be part of your issue, LT1s are odd with filters? Move up to slightly thicker oil 10-30 or 10/40. I would do changes ever 500 miles and see if it gets better.

Now this is way out of the box. But since you truly don't know what is causing it. Also check it's not an exhaust or EGR, Airpump fitting type leak. Very rare on later models by 93-94 had issues with breaking the exhaust manifold bolts ( drive side rear, pass side front ) or the air inlet check value stuck. Later models can have ERG/Check value failures and the can tick some times. Start the car and pass a strip of paper / dollar bill sized around the exhaust and fitting and see if you can detect a leak.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 02-20-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #37
97Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
Has the car always been run on Mobil1? Did you switch from standard to synthetic? You might have caused some slugged to break free and it's causing a clogged lifter and it's collapsing, why adjusting the values cure it slightly, slightly clogged oil pickup, or something to that effect.

Start by changing the oil and filter. 5W is too thin for an LT1.
Get the recommended GM filter, WIX are good too, but the GM at Walmart is probably cheaper. Don't use the other brands, that could be part of your issue, LT1s are odd with filters? Move up to slightly thicker oil 10-30 or 10/40. I would do changes ever 500 miles and see if it gets better.
I've been using Mobil 1 since 6000 miles. I've used K&N and Napa (WIX) filters, not a fan of the AC Delco PF454 as it is half the size of the K&N and Napa.

It's in the shop again as I've developed an even louder tick at 1900 rpm (no tick at idle, and the tick at 1900 gets quieter as it warms up). Still have cold oil pressure at 60 psi, warm/hot at 15-20 psi. They're gonna start diagnosing.

Also just found out my head gaskets are leaking! However the car never overheated, still running cool, etc. I asked the shop if they saw cross contamination with the oil/coolant they said no (oil looks normal, not milky, and is still full). So it looks like the block is coming out...
Old 02-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #38
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Curious how you found a head gasket leak
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #39
97Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Curious how you found a head gasket leak
The shop showed me where one side the coolant was seeping out, the other side oil was seeping out.

Not seeing white smoke....

Last edited by 97Formula; 02-25-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #40
97Formula

This shop refuses to fix my engine too....so that is THREE shops that would rather just sell me a remanufactured engine!

Ok...TWO "shops" since one of them is a "dealer".

Picked the car up.....refusing the new engine (was offered Jasper or ATK).

Meanwhile, drove around for a little bit, and as mentioned before...the more I drive once at operating temps, the quieter it gets (to the point where the ticking is not really there anymore).

Now I'm wondering....could it be the head gaskets causing the noise when cold which quiets down when warm?

Last edited by 97Formula; 02-26-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:40 AM   #41
3.4 grape of wrath

Only one way to find out, do a compression check/ leak down test. If they are bad, replace and check if ticking noise is still there.
8.021 @ 86.38 1/8 MILE
BEST 60' 1.781
3.4 grape of wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:51 AM   #42
97Formula

OK I know it's been 2 months since I last checked in, as the whole virus thing started hitting hard in NJ putting pretty much everything on hold.

Just got the car back from the 6th shop. He said I had an exhaust leak (they smoke tested the exhaust and found the leak and fixed it). He also went over all the valves and found one or two a little tight so he readjusted all to spec.

I still have this ticking issue. The tick does not happen at all at idle, 1500 rpm, or above 2000 rpm. Right at 1800-1900 rpm is when the ticking happens. Even if I accelerate harder over 2000 rpm I still don't hear it.....just at that 1800-1900 rpm range.

He basically does not know what it is but thinks I'm worrying too much about it. I asked if he thinks it's the lifters, he says no cause they were "pumped" when he was doing the valves.

He changed the oil and did not find any metal shavings during the drain or in the filter (I had him strain the oil as it was drained and cut the filter open).

In the meantime, car runs and drives great (other than the 1900 rpm tick), still running strong, etc.

Here's a quick clip on the ticking...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IH...c-f3ubDChfDp29

Last edited by 97Formula; 04-29-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #43
townsend

automatic or t56?

2021 Charger Scat

Wrench/driver 94 Camaro Ellwein 385/D1SC/CPT 4l60e/9" slow pile
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #44
97Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by townsend View Post
automatic or t56?
automatic
Old 04-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #45
97Formula

he also checked the flexplate
Old 04-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #46
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

Kind of concerned with the oil pressure issue myself more so then the ticking, definitely can go hand in hand.

If they do the oil change and switch to a 10-30 make sure there is no metal in your oil.

To me it sounds like the ticking more has to do with the pressure, i just dealt with similar pressure issues and found a spun main. good cold pressure, driving hot was fair but hot idle was around 10-15.

Hopefully not, but good luck
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #47
97Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFirstZ View Post
Kind of concerned with the oil pressure issue myself more so then the ticking, definitely can go hand in hand.

If they do the oil change and switch to a 10-30 make sure there is no metal in your oil.

To me it sounds like the ticking more has to do with the pressure, i just dealt with similar pressure issues and found a spun main. good cold pressure, driving hot was fair but hot idle was around 10-15.

Hopefully not, but good luck
Already had him change the oil (no metal found in oil during drain or inside cut-open filter).

Ticking is there even with 50psi cold pressure...once again only at 1800-1900 rpm. Sounds completely normal at idle and any RPM range that is not 1800-1900 rpm.

Maybe it isn't the engine? Could it be tranny-related?
Old 05-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #48
97Formula

Just got it back...turned out to be the lifters all along.

All good now!
Old 05-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #49
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Nice!

Great to hear you solved it, right in time for some nice weather too.

Got any pictures of the old lifters?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #50
97Formula

I dont have pics of the old lifters. They said they looked undamaged but one of them may have been bleeding off causing the tick.

I still have a very slight tick when cold but nowhere near what it was before the repairs.

Timing perfect for the weather....not so perfect during the quarantine (which made me not be in such a rush to get the car fixed....not going anywhere anyway).

Last edited by 97Formula; 05-12-2020 at 11:00 AM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech