Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #26
usp55

no the ensolite is a closed cell foam for sound deadening. It will go over your heat barrier which would be just about any aluminum backed dynomat type material.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #27
amargari

Quote:
Originally Posted by usp55 View Post
no the ensolite is a closed cell foam for sound deadening. It will go over your heat barrier which would be just about any aluminum backed dynomat type material.
Correct. The ensolite is for sound absorbing. Lizard Skin was used for a heat barrier.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #28
Coreylt1

i did the entire interior of my old dodge ram with this stuff (the one in the center)

http://www.floridadisaster.org/hrg/i...pair_large.jpg

its pretty cheap from home depot. you could double layer it if one isnt enough. some people say they get a tar smell in hot temperatures, but ive never had a problem at all with it. i put it in and forgot it was there.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #29
3rdGenHardtop

For dynamat type materials, 25% coverage gives 90% of the results. This is what will save you money, not buying a cheaper material. Going nuts and covering the whole panel is overkill, and is just adding weight to the car. Tile a couple 1 sq ft pieces anywhere you see flat expanses of metal. Metal with stamped shapes into them are inherently stronger, and need little to 0 dynamat. Same goes for metal that bends, or attaches to a brace or a panel attached at a different angle.

The biggest problem is that dynamat only damps vibrations through long flat expanses of panels (think outer door skins). It does little to nothing to block low frequency noise (think 70mph up the highway hummmmm) contrary to popular belief.

Low frequency road noise is best blocked by a dense material such as MLV (Mass loaded vinyl) or a lead barrier. Lead not being the best for automotive use, and harder to come by, I'd say MLV is your best bet. http://secondskinaudio.com/index.php...ner-pro-detail

Peel and seal or home depot roofing material is asking for trouble. This stuff gets soft and run's/melts with heat. It tends to have that asphalt smell as well. It is not intended to be an automotive product. At the very least, it stop's adhering to metal when heated. Avoid it at all costs. It's similar to using dryer ducting for your intake. Maybe it works to a degree, but there are much better solutions.

To sum this up, use dynamat on outter door skins, quarter panels, behind 6x9's, and on the roof, floor and trunk area floor w/ 25% coverage being all that's needed. Then apply a layer of MLV to the floor under your carpet, and watch how much quieter your car will get.

Unfortunately this won't eliminate all the rattles, but some felt tape, strategically placed foam, replaced panel clips, and a little creativity will get rid of most or all of those.

F-body's don't need to be noise boxes, and even the guys who don't care about music in the car can enjoy a quieter F-body.
'85 Trans Am L69 5speed car w/ t-tops and a leather gut. (Hers)

'04 WRX w/ turbo swap + (Traded/sold)
3rdGenHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #30
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenHardtop View Post
For dynamat type materials, 25% coverage gives 90% of the results. This is what will save you money, not buying a cheaper material. Going nuts and covering the whole panel is overkill, and is just adding weight to the car.
I wish more people understood that. I see all these projects online and see people putting 100% coverage with the dynamat and think how they wasted time, money and are only making the car heavier.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment