Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
3rdGenLT1

LT4 hot cam kit

im looking at buying the lt4 hot cam kit out of summit it comes with springs roller rockers and a few other things that i cant remember at the moment.....but anyway has anyone here used that or heard af any good feedback from it?
3rdGenLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

What are you using the car for and expecting from this mod?

The Hotcam is probably the best package deal, and the hot cam is one of the best all around cams out there. Good for a street car and occasional trips to the track when you want just a bit more out of the engine. It makes good power in the middle RPM range and will pass the sniffer and still has a hint of a ruff idle. You'll also need to either install an LT4 knock module, or better yet retune.

But in my opinion, if it were my car I would look more closely at the 305-112 cam. It is the next step up, just slightly more duration and 544 lift (1.6 rockers) and will make more power up top without needing to over spin the engine. and can be set up without needing any head work to support HD springs and such. Will definitely need tuning and with a good tuner it will pass the sniffer as well.

Either the hotcam or 305 can make 310-330 HP, Seen a rare few Hotcams go 345 with ported heads.

If you're planning to do allot of racing or are looking for 350+ HP you'll need to go larer. But it's 50/50 if the pass the sniffer?

Anything larger then the 305 you will be getting in the area where gears and a looser convertor will be needed to get the proper responce from the cam, and street manners will begin to change. ( personal preference on what is streetable!) Depending on what you pick you may also be getting into the area where the heads will require machine work for vavle springs ( I not liking what I hear about the beehive springs lately! )

John
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
j0n

whoa whoa not to hijack but John what's the deal with the beehives??? I may be getting back into an lt/lsx car in the near future and always assumed the beehives were the way to go?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n View Post
whoa whoa not to hijack but John what's the deal with the beehives??? I may be getting back into an lt/lsx car in the near future and always assumed the beehives were the way to go?
Well, the story goes that Comp changed suppliers last year and now allot of people are having problems with them breaking, and since it's a single spring, dropped valve = toasted engines. Comp said they fixed the problem, but that is yet to be proven, also there does seem to be rebadged or just the bad springs still floating around. So to me, I'd stay far away.

Also, the beehives are rated to 600 lift so the 306 or 847 with 1.6 rockers are pushing the limits of the springs as well. I perfer double springs rated to 650, keeps you further away from bind plus the saftey if you break the spring you have a better chance the valve will not drop. This means getting your heads machined, but it a few dollars well spent!

If you want to read more:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hlight=beehive
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
3rdGenLT1

alright thanks, it will mostly be street use and a friend of mine is doing my heads for cheap so i think im gunna go with the lt4 plus it saves me money on buying rockers and springs
3rdGenLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
Batman
11 Second Club

John, remember the same cam specs in my car ran 11's at the track. , how fast where you running then?... Just messing with you! I've always loved the off the shelf GM cam's, they don't make big power numbers but they run very well and like John said they are a great all around cam. For awhile I was beating some of the heads/cam cars with just the hotcam....but then the heads/cam cars suddenly got alot better.....
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123

Last edited by Batman; 08-17-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

i have the LT4 Hotcam kit in my car.... its worth it

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Batman
11 Second Club

Before you buy from summit check out Pace, Scoggins Dickey and GM parts direct. They may work out to cheaper.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning