Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #151
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

It does. 6 speed.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #152
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
not RWD V8 4-door cars, not comparable to me.
So you want gm to go back to reskinning a chassis into every flavor possible? I think the regal had awd but not anymore and isn't offered with the turbo Confirm with your local bigpal. Anyways, how large of a market is there for a gas guzzling v8 4 door with mediocre styling and interior trim? We aren't talking luxury here like the germans, just a hopped up motor in a day to day car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I don't think the Regal has a manual either. I just looked
I've personally seen a bigpal ruin one

Quote:
Regal Turbo ups the ante with a 2.0L ECOTEC 4-cylinder intercooled turbocharged engine featuring direct cylinder fuel injection. A technological marvel, its dual-scroll turbo technology delivers 220 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque along with an EPA-est. 20 city/32 hwy mpg with manual transmission. Plus, Regal Turbo offers an available Interactive Drive Control System with real-time suspension damping that you won't find on the Acura TSX or the VW CC.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #153
Mike
BadMod

I wasn't thinking gm. Find ANY sedans between 40 and 50k. With 425+ hp and a stick. Once we have that list we can delve back into how cool of a car the SS will end up being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #154
Mike
BadMod

Srt8 charger and Audi s6 are both auto, no offering at all from ford

Quote:
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.

Last edited by Mike; 02-21-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #155
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
So you want gm to go back to reskinning a chassis into every flavor possible? I think the regal had awd but not anymore and isn't offered with the turbo Confirm with your local bigpal. Anyways, how large of a market is there for a gas guzzling v8 4 door with mediocre styling and interior trim? We aren't talking luxury here like the germans, just a hopped up motor in a day to day car.
No, and that is my thought process here. people saying no stick in this car is a deal breaker, as if otherwise they’d buy this car. But how many comparable cars offer manuals? what I am seeing here is slim to none. I just don’t see a small car or a 2 door as the typical comparable. I don’t think the regal shopper is the same as the SS shopper, and I’d really be hard pressed to think the gear box is a primary decision point between the two. I’m sure there are a very few folks out there, I mean more in general.

So I don’t see no stick in the SS being a failure in the big picture. So I am probably siding with GayAl in all this.

aside: you mentioned the cruze, lol @ that. I have a cruze ltz. there is no way that car is comparable to a G8 in any driving sense.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #156
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post

EXACTLY. People have become complacent, the main thing anyone driving a vehicle should be concerned with is that, Driving, NOTHING else. Driving manual transmission forces the driver to think about what he/she is doing more than with an Auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
i gotta agree with one point at least... driving stick does make you pay attention to the road way more then in an auto, if u gotta shift u cant be distracted with other things in your hands... texting, eating....
These two statements are the opposite of the truth! While you are using a certain percent of your concentration bank on shifting, someone with an auto can use that percentage on figuring out an avoidance maneuver. You guys crash and the auto driver is home having dinner with their family!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #157
NastyEllEssWon

I don't see the lack of a manual transmission in this car as big of a problem as how bland and outwardly plain this car is when you think its supposed to be a 4 door flagship sedan. Since this car is so closely related in the same generation (as per Al's information) as the G8, those that want a manual should probably buy one of those, since there was a manual offered iirc.

i just wish this car looked just as beastly as whats under the hood. I just cant see spending 30-40 grand on a car that im going to want to spend another 5 grand just in parts to make the front end look like i want it to look, with another 5 grand minimal in paint. i am however digging the new charger though

Last edited by NastyEllEssWon; 02-21-2013 at 05:13 PM.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #158
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
I don't see the lack of a manual transmission in this car as big of a problem as how bland and outwardly plain this car is when you think its supposed to be a 4 door flagship sedan. Since this car is so closely related in the same generation (as per Al's information) as the G8, those that want a manual should probably buy one of those, since there was a manual offered iirc.

i just wish this car looked just as beastly as whats under the hood. I just cant see spending 30-40 grand on a car that im going to want to spend another 5 grand just in parts to make the front end look like i want it to look, with another 5 grand minimal in paint. i am however digging the new charger though
if i was currently in the market for a 4 door sport sedan, it would be a charger at THIS moment. there are already rumors however of a lsa powered m6 ss with "more agressive" body styling to follow this year.

even if the lsa part is false, i can easily see the m6 and body changes coming... didnt the gxp follow the rest of the g8s by a year?

Quote:
Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #159
donnj

"GayAl" now were getting somewhere on this thread....
donnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #160
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
No, and that is my thought process here. people saying no stick in this car is a deal breaker, as if otherwise they’d buy this car. But how many comparable cars offer manuals? what I am seeing here is slim to none. I just don’t see a small car or a 2 door as the typical comparable. I don’t think the regal shopper is the same as the SS shopper, and I’d really be hard pressed to think the gear box is a primary decision point between the two. I’m sure there are a very few folks out there, I mean more in general.

So I don’t see no stick in the SS being a failure in the big picture. So I am probably siding with GayAl in all this.

aside: you mentioned the cruze, lol @ that. I have a cruze ltz. there is no way that car is comparable to a G8 in any driving sense.
You know your cruze is a beast!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #161
BonzoHansen
Admin.

it's very nice and yet underwhelming. lol

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #162
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
if i was currently in the market for a 4 door sport sedan, it would be a charger at THIS moment. there are already rumors however of a lsa powered m6 ss with "more agressive" body styling to follow this year.

even if the lsa part is false, i can easily see the m6 and body changes coming... didnt the gxp follow the rest of the g8s by a year?

an lsa version with some body panels would put it up there pretty high in price but certainly sounds like something i wouldnt mind taking a loot at
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #163
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
an lsa version with some body panels would put it up there pretty high in price but certainly sounds like something i wouldnt mind taking a loot at
It would put it in the 50s. Any higher and they will encroach the ctsv

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #164
Slow-V6

Didnt the GTO when it came out in 04 look plain and bland? They waited a year to change it up to a more aggressive look and the car still tanked. Hope this isnt the case with this one. A could more aggressive looking changes and this thing would sell. The G8's sold very well as they had an aggressive look to them. I believe the GXP's were in both 08/09 as well for the G8's..
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/

Last edited by Slow-V6; 02-22-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #165
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-V6 View Post
Didnt the GTO when it came out in 04 look plain and bland? They waited a year to change it up to a more aggressive look and the car still tanked. Hope this isnt the case with this one. A could more aggressive looking changes and this thing would sell. The G8's sold very well as they had an aggressive look to them. I believe the GXP's were in both 08/09 as well for the G8's..
Yep.

'04 GTO came out and everybody bitched about the stying. They threw on the hood scoops and dual exhaust (and LS2) but it still did not do well.

In GM's defense thought (and Al will correct me I'm sure) I seem to remember them only having 9 mos - 1 year to convert the car over from Aussie to USA spec. That's not a lot of time to do everything right.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #166
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
The gto sales were picking up when the car died. It died because that generation of Holden ended.

Do you have documentation that g8 sold better specifically because of the aggressive look?

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #167
townsend

ford should now bring the falcon to the us too, then we could really have some fun. nonetheless, i like the new ss, and if i had that thing called credit i would definately buy one

2021 Charger Scat

Wrench/driver 94 Camaro Ellwein 385/D1SC/CPT 4l60e/9" slow pile
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #168
Featherburner

Quote:
I believe the GXP's were in both 08/09 as well for the G8's..
Nope, late in the 09 run is when the GXP hit the market.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #169
Slow-V6

Quote:
The gto sales were picking up when the car died. It died because that generation of Holden ended.

Do you have documentation that g8 sold better specifically because of the aggressive look?

Sold better then what? The GTO? Then yeah I would say the reason it sold better then the GTO was because it looked more aggressive from the start. It caught your eye while driving. I dont have proof, but the car did sell well for the 2 years it was alive.

This new car doesnt catch my eye at all.

The G8's sold almost 40,000 cars in the 2 years of production. 1st year was from Mar-Dec and they sold 15,000 and in 09 they sold almost 24,000 cars. Not to bad.
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110

Last edited by Slow-V6; 02-22-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #170
Mike
BadMod

I was asking if you had evidence to back up your comment that the g8 sold well because of appearance

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #171
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Sold better then what? The GTO? Then yeah I would say the reason it sold better then the GTO was because it looked more aggressive from the start. It caught your eye while driving. I dont have proof, but the car did sell well for the 2 years it was alive.

This new car doesnt catch my eye at all.

The G8's sold almost 40,000 cars in the 2 years of production. 1st year was from Mar-Dec and they sold 15,000 and in 09 they sold almost 24,000 cars. Not to bad.
GTO's total run for the 3 years was 40,808 with only one engine available each year. Would the G8 sales numbers still be better if you were only counting GT / GXP sales?

I won't argue that buyers wanted something more aggressive looking (I read somewhere that the hood scoops on the '05 GTO were actually an option and only about 25 out of 11,000 were ordered without them).

::edit::

'08 GT - 6,143
'09 GT - 16,486
'09 GXP - 1,829

Total V8 G8s = 24,458 (12,229 per year average)
Total GTOs = 40,808 (13,602 per year average)

- Justin

Last edited by Tru2Chevy; 02-25-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Found G8 numbers....
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #172
Mike
BadMod

So the gto actually sold more. Cool.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #173
Slow-V6

Quote:
So the gto actually sold more. Cool.
The GTO had a 3 year run and the G8's had a 2 year run. The G8's sold 38,XXX cars in those 2 years and the GTO's sold 40,XXX cars in its 3 years.

Its GM's own fault they didnt offer engine options for the GTO's. Cars like the GTO were part of the reason why Pontiac doesnt exist anymore. They had a shot at making a bad ass car that looked bad ass and they blew it. Think they thought that a GTO should be a V8 and thats it. Dont know how many people would have bought a V6 GTO? Even in the 60's-70's were there V6 GTO's?

Last edited by Slow-V6; 02-25-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #174
Mike
BadMod

Compare apples to apples and take the v6 cars out.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #175
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
The GTO had a 3 year run and the G8's had a 2 year run. The G8's sold 38,XXX cars in those 2 years and the GTO's sold 40,XXX cars in its 3 years.

Its GM's own fault they didnt offer engine options for the GTO's. Cars like the GTO were part of the reason why Pontiac doesnt exist anymore. They had a shot at making a bad ass car that looked bad ass and they blew it. Think they thought that a GTO should be a V8 and thats it. Dont know how many people would have bought a V6 GTO? Even in the 60's-70's were there V6 GTO's?

No. There were no V6 GTOs. They started as a performance trim for the Tempest, then became its own car. It was V8 only and never had a V6.

GTO, G8, and now SS all look "tame" because they aren't designed to appeal to 15 year old kids. Hell, the 04-06 GTO was a gift to car guys so that GM had something affordable in the performance segment, something that could help alter Pontiac's image away from the body-cladding and nostril company.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge