Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 11-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
karr95

Car running rough...

Over the last week or so my car has been running rough. Its a 95TA with an automatic trans. When its in park, it idles and sounds just fine. However, when I go into drive and press on the gas, the car bogs and shakes a bit and generally won't run well. In the higher RPMs it runs fine and when it up to highway speeds it is ok. Basically the bogging / shaking happens when I go to stop and take off.

My opti took a crap on me about a year ago and it doesn't feel like the misfire the busted opti was causing. So I don't think its that.

After driving the car for about an hour, when I get out I do smell a faint burning smell. The car is also NOT throwing a code.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Old 11-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

My first guess would be a vacuum leak?

Check the PCV valve.

Check the condition of the vacuum hoses, because it's getting cold out you could have one that leaks. I had a simular problem with a car that ran fine when it was above 40-45 degrees, below that it ran like crap.

Recent tank of gas? Maybe fill up the tank froma different station, throw in a can of drygas / fuel cleaner.

Probably not, but check for sticking EGR valve. There is a connection on the very back of the intake drivers side. Pull off the vac. line and plug both hose from the EGR and the port into the servo.

How old are the plugs and wires?

Next guess might be a MAS sensor issue, but don't put money out becuase of my guess on this one, I'm no expert on those things.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
karr95

Thanks for the reply, I will definatly take a look to see if any of this will help.

The plugs and wires are only a year old and I only put on about 5,000 miles on them. However, I couldn't tell if one of the wires on the passenger side was rubbing against the manifold.

Last edited by karr95; 11-28-2005 at 04:33 PM.
karr95 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning