Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 11-13-2005, 06:18 PM   #1
V
Stalker

changing LT1 oil pump...

ok, i havent opened up the bottom end of an LT1 yet but I assume the oil pump is the same as the earlier small blocks. The oil pressure just seems to stay a little low in my z28 but no noises so just to rule out the oil pump, i wanna change it when i have the k member out of the car. that way the oil pan will be able to be removed easily. Is there any special tricks/advice for changing an LT1 oil pump? i think it should be pretty easy to do since ive doen tpi ones before.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
supercharged Lt4

Put a high volume pump, not high pressure. high volume, and i like to tac weld the pick up to the pump, just so there is no accodents.

supercharged Lt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

How low is the pressure? LT1 do idle at about 15PSI then fo to about 40 PSI in the upper RPMs.

If you still plan to replace the pump, look at the Melling. I have thier pump, drive shaft and screen / with the canton oil pan. I see almost 30 PSI at idle and 55+ PSI at high rpms.

JB
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
V
Stalker

its around 15 at idle, i didnt know they were that low. it goes to areound 30 at near 2500, i didnt look to see how high it goes at higher rpms since i never drove the car. All my other vehicles have idle psi of around 30 si i thoguht this LT1 was abnormally low but it thats normal, oh well. but just for my own sake, i may still change it, since the k member will be out, its only a matter of the oil pan bolts and the pump bolt. I used a melling high volume in my 383 iroc and worked fine, so ill probably use them again. and yes i do tac weld the pickups on the pumps, ive heard too many horror stories about them falling off.
oh and beside,s by opening up the oil pan, itll give me a chance to peek inside the bottom end just to inspect it a bit. maybe i'll notice soemthign that will give me more info on the Lingenfelter throttle body plate.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

I heard that a good rule of thumb for protecting your engine against failure due to lack of lubrication is to have 10 PSI of oil pressure for every thousand RPM. I'd also say tack weld the pickup tube to the pump, just like supercharged Lt4 said. the last thing you wnat is the tub to fall off and toast your motor.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning