Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
WayFast84

value autopaint?

I've been really interested in painting and autobody lately and want to start practicing on spare panels so I can be ready to do some serious parts in a few months. I need a value paint that is going to hold up, one project will be driven daily and one will sit in the garage for its whole life.

I've been reading about ppg shopline and it seems like this is the best when it comes to value/quality. I've also looked at kirker/summit/eastwood and that seems like its okay(less money) but it doesn't come in artic white(maybe it can be mixed if a local place has it) but I really want to stick with one company so I can get the reducers/clear and everything else in bulk but just enough base for each project.

I know what I'm getting into with buying cheaper products but these aren't going to be award winning cars. So do I have it right with ppg shopline? Any other options? What paint places wouldnt rip me off? All I know of is house of blaise in south plainfield. Do any sponsors here have color books and I can order from them? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
S.J.SLEEPER

Ive used Summits 2 stage. Came out great and FYI: its made by DuPont..
Ive also used Nason Ful-Cryl...also very nice paint to work with. (their primer is super thick so will need a large needled gun (1.6-1.8 on a hvlp gun) (1.4-1.5 bc/cc)
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
WayFast84

I'm gonna look into the summit again then. I have a crappy harbor freight gun, gonna upgrade that later.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

when i worked in a body shop they got all their paint from kemperle inc in cranbury off rt 130. we got good result doing standard colors (non metallic/ non pearles etc) with lower quality paint i cant remember the name. it comes down to how well the clear is put down. alot of orange peel can make quality paint look like crap. wet sanding and buffing goes a looooooong way
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance