Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 12-22-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
IROCZBeast
13 Second Club

Social Networks:

Headers...

So I've pretty much decided on getting none emission legal coated pacesetter LT's.

I've heard removing EGR and AIR does nothing for you other than hurt your gas mileage but I'd rather not deal with putting that stuff back on and it'll be nice to get some stuff out of the way.

So here's the question I know the gaskets and bolts they give you are **** so whats gaskets and bolts do you guys think I should go with.

I was thinking ARP bolts but I have no idea for gaskets.

Any advice/help would be apreciated.

P.S. - This is a driveway project, should be fun. Definately waiting till Spring though once the weather warms up.
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 -SOLD-
IROCZBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I'm going with the Fel-pro gaskets and Stage8 stainless locking bolts. I put those bolts on my old 68 with the LT1 in it and they worked great, no leaks. As for the non emissions headers, I hope you have a place to get the car inspected since they obviously won't pass at dmv. You'll need the O2 extensions and the O2 sims for the rear O2's.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
IROCZBeast
13 Second Club

Social Networks:

I'm going for inspection in April so after I pass I'm going to put the headers in.

I'm sending my computer out for a tune so I'm going to get the rear o2 deleted. I geuss I still need the extensions though for the one o2 to reach the bonge on the header.

Still debating on whether or not I want to run an ORY, a y with a cat, or a y with a cut-out.

I don't think they make a y-pipe capatable with pacesetter lt's to accommodate a cat? Please correct me if I'm wrong. So I geuss I'd have to go to mufflex or someone to get a custom y-pipe.

Thanks for the help though I'm going to check out Fel-Pro and Stage 8. Where can I get them?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:01 PM   #4
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Defenitly get Fel-Pro gaskets with Stage 8's. I ran those with my T/A & I never had a problem after I switched to the fel-pro gaskets with alittle red permatex strategically placed. Only thing Im not keen on about the Stage 8's is getting those locking clips on. I thought it was hard in a 3rd gen w/ A/C I cant imagine for a LT1.

If your good for 2 years, just go with a 3" ORY and have a old catshield welded somewhere over the pipes, just incase you do get looked at underneath they will see a stock 1996 cat.

Im probably going to run emmission compatible coated Arizona Speed & Marina headers with their 3" ORY. The price is really good and I hear they have a good reputation. That is if I decided to keep it real 8)
Old 12-24-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
JL8Jeff

You can have dual cats put into the Pacesetter y-pipe when you're ready. Don't bother with a single cat since it's not legal on the dual cat cars.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
IROCZBeast
13 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
You can have dual cats put into the Pacesetter y-pipe when you're ready. Don't bother with a single cat since it's not legal on the dual cat cars.
what do you mean have dual cats put into the y-pipe?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
JL8Jeff

You can go out and buy 2 new cats and have them added into the y-pipe by any muffler shop. You'll need to get some compact 3" cats but they're only like $38 each or something so it's not too expensive.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning