Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 01-06-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
band77one
15 Second Club

thrown rod

the lt1 i was going to buy has a thrown rod, does that necessarily mean the engine is worthless? and is it possible to put a whole in the block? someone told me the engine has a hole in the block
band77one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

It is very possible to punch a hole in the side of the block, if that's the case, then dont' even think about that engine.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

once a motor throws a rod i woudl have to get it for free or very close to it to consider it.
when rods go it usually means some kind of damage to the block, crank, mains arond where the rod let go. not always, but usually there is other damage there.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
Slow Z
11 Second Club

Way too many possibilities without inspecting everything. Theoretically you could snap the rod right in half and cause no damage to ANYTHING else... though more likely it'll take the crank, block, and maybe the cylinder head with it.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

when i broke the rod in my old motor i took out the block, oil pan, 1 main cap, the crank, bent 3 other rods, and knocked pieces off of 2 other pistons.
and that let go at less than 2000rpm

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
V
Stalker

yeah if a motor threw a rod, 99% of the time its junk.
when my 350 threw a rod put the piston through the side of the cylinder, snapped 2 other rods, ripped open the oil pan, and also the cammed snapped in half and blew apart several lifters, oh and when the rod lets go, the piston went up and bent a few valves, so even the heads get damaged. that was all at about 2-3k rpms

When my LS1 went, it shattered the oil pan, front engine cover, and cracked the front of the block. and that blew up right upon startup at like 1k rpms. so all in all, if a motor threw a rod, its worthless.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

I would say that 90% of the time there is more damage. If the rod punched the block then it's fairly safe to assume the rod end also hit the crank.

You really need to tear the engine down, if the rod broke up the up stroke the piston could have also done damage to the valve train and head.

If the top end is still good, then getting another short broke shouldn't be a big deal.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Brando56894
15 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
yeah if a motor threw a rod, 99% of the time its junk.
when my 350 threw a rod put the piston through the side of the cylinder, snapped 2 other rods, ripped open the oil pan, and also the cammed snapped in half and blew apart several lifters, oh and when the rod lets go, the piston went up and bent a few valves, so even the heads get damaged. that was all at about 2-3k rpms

When my LS1 went, it shattered the oil pan, front engine cover, and cracked the front of the block. and that blew up right upon startup at like 1k rpms. so all in all, if a motor threw a rod, its worthless.
damn!!
- Pancake Bunny Club Member #3

OG!
Brando56894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
Ahh yes, I got to see some of these broken parts the other night. He did good work

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #10
band77one
15 Second Club

the kid who actually snapped the rod said that nothing else is wrong with this engine...such a bull****ter, he also thinks he's dropping in an ls1 into a 94 fleetwood and he wont need any conversion parts =)
band77one is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning