Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Writing a Letter

Laugh if you want, but I am writing a letter to GM with the $1000 repair bill for my Saturn attached. My sway bar broke on a hard right-hand turn for the second time. The first one was covered under warranty, this one took out my front axle as collateral damage. I had just replaced that axle last fall at the Saturn dealer. There is no reason for this to happen. It is a manufacturing error or at least a negligent design. I can't find one other person on the Saturn forums that this has happened to. The gentleman at the Saturn service also said that this was the first time he has seen this happen when I had brought it in the first time.

They obviously won't be cutting me a check, but I'd at least like some sort of acknowledgment of the issue and a promise to cover the repairs if it happens again. The letter will take me only 20 minutes to write, so it is worth a shot in my opinion. What are you guys' thoughts? Any advice on what to include?
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Did you make any calls? I'd call the district manager. get the number from the dealer.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Frosty

What Scott said, start making calls first. How was the dealer treating you? Include that(in a positive or negative light). Definitely try climbing the ladder via phone first.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
Laugh if you want, but I am writing a letter to GM with the $1000 repair bill for my Saturn attached. My sway bar broke on a hard right-hand turn for the second time. The first one was covered under warranty, this one took out my front axle as collateral damage. I had just replaced that axle last fall at the Saturn dealer. There is no reason for this to happen. It is a manufacturing error or at least a negligent design. I can't find one other person on the Saturn forums that this has happened to. The gentleman at the Saturn service also said that this was the first time he has seen this happen when I had brought it in the first time.

They obviously won't be cutting me a check, but I'd at least like some sort of acknowledgment of the issue and a promise to cover the repairs if it happens again. The letter will take me only 20 minutes to write, so it is worth a shot in my opinion. What are you guys' thoughts? Any advice on what to include?
FWIW, after I had an "experience" at Flemington GM I wrote an email and got a follow up phone call a week later. I was polite but firm and that's why I wasn't dismissed as a yahoo I guess.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
What Scott said, start making calls first. How was the dealer treating you? Include that(in a positive or negative light). Definitely try climbing the ladder via phone first.

this guy can probably get you numbers

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
maroman88
12 Second Club

wat year/model saturn
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
BigAls87Z28

Crazy man! How the hell do you snap a sway bar?!!?
Send a letter, they are very active with customer service right now, stretching into forums and social media sections.
Real crazy...
Old 09-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

bar or end-link?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

i would deff. contact someone higher in the dealership they will hlep you out, they cant afford to lose a customer.
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
NastyEllEssWon

ive had the endlinks on my saturn replace twice already per warranty. it gets done per this tsb. theyve done the endlinks because they were worn prematurely because of the clunking.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
SATURN / ION 2003-2007

Service Bulletin Number : 040308006
NHTSA Item Number : 10007892
Summary Description :
CLUCK, THUMP OR RATTLE NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION WHILE DRIVING OVER ROUGH ROAD CONDITIONS OR WHEN BRAKING (REPLACE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM REAR BUSHING). *MJ UPDATED 10/5/07. *NJ

Last edited by NastyEllEssWon; 09-22-2010 at 09:30 PM.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
bar or end-link?
the bar. Twice. The end-links I consider wear items, and replace them then they begin to clunk.

Dealer that did the work is now a used car lot. Called my local Chevy dealer and told them, and was told that the repair is no longer warrantied. Parts guy told me that sway bars on all cars break rather often. I'll make more phone calls this week.

Picked up the car today, and it is sputtering and the CEL is flashing and power is reduced. It shakes pretty violently on the highway too. I wish I had my scanner with me cause I am dying to know whats wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
wat year/model saturn
It's an 06 Vue by the way with 91k miles.

Last edited by qwikz28; 09-22-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
CHRIS67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Crazy man! How the hell do you snap a sway bar?!!?
I broke 3 bars in 3 years on my grand prix before the trans chit the bed and I traded it in.

Praise the Lowered

67' Camaro - Worked 327, Hotchkis TVS suspension, 4 wheel cross drilled discs, AM radio FTL
05' Silverado - Stock, stock, and stock.
CHRIS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #13
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS67 View Post
I broke 3 bars in 3 years on my grand prix before the trans chit the bed and I traded it in.
whoa. how did that happen?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #14
CHRIS67

Quote:
whoa. how did that happen?
Having too much fun on highway on ramps.

Praise the Lowered

67' Camaro - Worked 327, Hotchkis TVS suspension, 4 wheel cross drilled discs, AM radio FTL
Old 09-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #15
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
the bar. Twice. The end-links I consider wear items, and replace them then they begin to clunk.

Dealer that did the work is now a used car lot. Called my local Chevy dealer and told them, and was told that the repair is no longer warrantied. Parts guy told me that sway bars on all cars break rather often. I'll make more phone calls this week.

Picked up the car today, and it is sputtering and the CEL is flashing and power is reduced. It shakes pretty violently on the highway too. I wish I had my scanner with me cause I am dying to know whats wrong with it.

It's an 06 Vue by the way with 91k miles.
i've got to imagine its pretty rare to break the actual bar with normal use. i bet there could be an issue with an outside supplier. also, sounds like a misfire if you didn't already assume so.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #16
Frosty

I'd call the GM Customer Assistance number before writing a letter. They'll start a case for you and at least try to help. At the end of the day it's not up to the dealer. You could try getting the # to the district guy but your best bet is to start a case with GM. Let them make the calls, let them do the leg work...that's what they're there for.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)

Last edited by Frosty; 09-23-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
i've got to imagine its pretty rare to break the actual bar with normal use. i bet there could be an issue with an outside supplier. also, sounds like a misfire if you didn't already assume so.
I dunno man. I broke both ends of off the bar in my GTP.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #18
Blacdout96

Get solid bars, they're heavier, but less to worry about, and if your snapping solid bars, you need to tell GM to move their suspension facility from China to Taiwan so this don't happen again.

Quote:
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 09-23-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #19
BigAls87Z28

That's some hard driving! Shesh! I figure the link would snap first.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #20
CHRIS67

Quote:
That's some hard driving! Shesh! I figure the link would snap first.
Smaller bar on a wide car, or just some bad casting. Only car I had that had that issue.

Praise the Lowered

Old 09-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
Get solid bars, they're heavier, but less to worry about, and if your snapping solid bars, you need to tell GM to move their suspension facility from China to Taiwan so this don't happen again.
It is solid.

Tony- Thanks, I'm gonna start a case. I figure I'm going to start lofty and ask them to cover this repair too.

Al- It is hard driving, but its nothing that would constitute abuse or anything. It is NYC driving.

Sweetbmxrider- Yeah I had it scanned this morning. Multiple Misfire, Cyl 1 Misfire, and Cyl 3 misfire. Joy.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #22
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i'd guess plugs if they haven't been done or coil packs. could obviously be more but given the mileage....
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #23
Blacdout96

Do you have any pics of the sway bar, and also, could you get an undershot between the endlinks and the bushings on th frame? either the manufacturing is defective, or the placement between those tw oare causeing too much stress on the member over a period of time and it just breaks.

Quote:
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #24
alamantia

You can probably find out the contact information for the zone rep for the dealer that last preformed the work.
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #25
alamantia

Here is an e-mail address..

cac@saturn.com
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge