Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Quick Ticket/Court Plea Question

Got a 87 in a 65 on 287-N, Morris Township, Saturday the 25th. Officer was using Laser (I know b/c my Passport screamed Laser, and he started rolling out before I even passed him )
So, according to what I gathered, the penalties are $200 & 4 points. I have a clean record with no points on it right now. I'd like to keep the points off my record, as much as possible.

Will they plea it down? If so, likely down to what (and what are the penalties associated with it)
and what classes can I take to knock the points off. I've heard AAA has a "free" class for certain members; I have AAA+ so I'll call tomorrow & see if I'm eligible for the Saturday Class to have 2 points knocked off.

What would you suggest to do from here, as far as the ticket/insurance/penalties/etc go?

*edit*
Possibly relevant to potential plea offer: I plead a "Careless Driving" ticket down to "Unsafe Driving" to avoid the points back in March 2008.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 09-26-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
thunder
12 Second Club

u can plea it down to an unsafe operation ticket twice. if the prosecutor doesnt wanna give that to you he might drop it to careless driving which is 2 points

Also call ur insurance company and see if they would let the 2 points slide without jacking up ur rates. They did that for me
Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i thought they changed it to just once? pending a very clean record, they may plea bargain to a lesser speeding ticket, say 11-15mph over. every bit helps and it depends on the particular court.

i think there are two different classes you can take. one knocks off 2 points and is mandatory when you reach a certain point level and the other is extremely long and costs a good bit of change. its been awhile and the memory is a little fuzzy. mvc should be able to point you in the right direction, i'd call em tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

The option to plead down to unsafe operation is available twice within a 5 year period unless they changed that recently, so if the prosecutor is feeling lenient, he or she can offer that to you. As you know it's no points, but expect to pay between $400-$500 for it.

It's more likely that they'll be willing to drop to a careless or similar. It'll prolly cost you a few hundred bucks and you'll still have 2 points, but you lose 2 a year if you have no offenses, and you can take the safe / defensive driving courses to take off 1 or 2 points.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
The option to plead down to unsafe operation is available twice within a 5 year period unless they changed that recently, so if the prosecutor is feeling lenient, he or she can offer that to you. As you know it's no points, but expect to pay between $400-$500 for it.

It's more likely that they'll be willing to drop to a careless or similar. It'll prolly cost you a few hundred bucks and you'll still have 2 points, but you lose 2 a year if you have no offenses, and you can take the safe / defensive driving courses to take off 1 or 2 points.

- Justin
Was it careless or unsafe driving that used to be 2 times every 5 years and is now 2 times over your life?
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i think unsafe was changed. careless definitely was not changed.

also, its up to 3 points every year you go without a moving violation or suspension. total points can not be less than 0
Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Unsafe used to be twice within a rolling 5 year period. Not sure if it was changed or not. I've managed to only land in traffic court once in 11 years behind the wheel (used my first unsafe at that time too!). Actually had the judge congratulate me on having a clean record up to that point.

- Justin

Old 09-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah it was originally once every 3 or twice every 5 but i think they changed it cause the courts were abusing it
Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
btownws6

you can use the unsafe twice every 5 years but it includes a $250 surcharge and is usually 400 to 500 for the ticket and most courts will only drop a 4 point ticket to a 2 point, it really depends on the town, i know freehold will never drop anything over a 2 point to 0. and if you use the 2 unsafe the surcharges go up to almost 1000 and the ticket is like 750 so speak to the prosecutor bc they can tell you exactly what they'll do.. i used both unsafe operations and i regret it now b/c im screwed if i get another ticket lol also your insurance company offers a course to drop points if not the dmv one drops 2 points
btownws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Morris is rough. All depending on what the prosecutor/judge will do for you.

Probably changed to a lesser speeding fine.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
Jersey Mike

Social Networks:

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm going back & forth between:

1) sending them a check for the $200 fine, bypassing court, & taking the 4-points. Then taking a class to drop 2 points, and letting the remaining 2 points disappear by themselves in a year.
or
2) Going in to court to plea it down to a 2-point violation of some kind, then taking a point-reduction class.

Other notables:
*As of right now, I pay $7xx every year for insurance (liability only).
*The car that pulled me over was a blacked out Charger.

Quote:
Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

you will look better going to court now somewhat clean then later on if you are ticketed in the future. its a toss up but i would go to court for a 4 point ticket especially with a good record.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm going back & forth between:

1) sending them a check for the $200 fine, bypassing court, & taking the 4-points. Then taking a class to drop 2 points, and letting the remaining 2 points disappear by themselves in a year.
or
2) Going in to court to plea it down to a 2-point violation of some kind, then taking a point-reduction class.

Other notables:
*As of right now, I pay $7xx every year for insurance (liability only).
*The car that pulled me over was a blacked out Charger.
#2 in my opinion. That's what I did pretty much, but I didn't go to the class.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
thunder
12 Second Club

#2 no doubt
Old 09-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

They will most likely knock it down to a lesser speeding ticket with 2 points and a hefty fine $400+.

In my experience with insurance companies, my rates never went up for speeding tickets but sky rocketed from a careless driving. I would not opt to have a speeding knocked down to a careless. You end up paying more for insurance the next 3 years than it would have been to pay the fine and deal with the points.
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
maroman88
12 Second Club

wat does it being a bad ass cop car have to do with anything??
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
BonzoHansen
Admin.

If you don't choose #2 you are a knucklehead. And not to carless, to the unsafe no point deal. or at least a lesser speed.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #18
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post

wat does it being a bad ass cop car have to do with anything??

X2.

There is no law stating the car must be marked.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #19
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I think he was 'just saying', not that it mattered at all.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #20
Whiplash Performance

I got a tailgating ticket up in Parsipany last April my driving record has been clean prior to it.The prosecutor dropped it to a careless driving 2 point ticket.
Each court is different, try calling the court see if they'll set you up a date with the prosecutor. Some towns require to make an appearance in court before getting an appointment with the prosecutor.
www.intensewhiplash.com

Last edited by Whiplash Performance; 09-27-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Whiplash Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #21
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
If you don't choose #2 you are a knucklehead. And not to carless, to the unsafe no point deal. or at least a lesser speed.
Well it's safe to say if he was carless he wouldn't have received the ticket.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #22
r0nin89

Man I got lucky when I was in highschool.... Point Pleasant prosecutor dropped a 5 point Reckless to 0 point unsafe. Cost me like $475.

He told me "I really appreciate the fact that you took this serious and are respectful. Your dressed up nice (slacks and shirt & tie), you brought your mother being that your a minor, and I wont lie I had a Camaro in my day and burnt rubber more than a few times..."

I could have sworn that when I was there it was mandatory that he inform me that I was only eligible to have points dropped like this twice every 3 years.Then said being that this was my first ticket he said he better not see me back here and that he hoped I was appreciative of his kindness and learned from my mistakes.

Also remember that depending on your insurance company receiving the points and then taking classes to remove them does not cancel out the offense in their eyes. IF your rates go up I'm sure removing the points with a class will help but it definitely wont cancel it out.

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #23
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
Also remember that depending on your insurance company receiving the points and then taking classes to remove them does not cancel out the offense in their eyes. IF your rates go up I'm sure removing the points with a class will help but it definitely wont cancel it out.
Yes, insurance points and DMV points are not the same. AFAIK, the insurance company will only see what ends up on your DMV record, not what you were actually ticketed for in the first place. So if you get this down to a lesser speeding offense, they'll never know how fast you were actually going. Also, when you take classes to get rid of DMV points, that doesn't affect your insurance points. Any offense that your insurance sees typically lasts 3 years no matter what.

- Justin

Old 09-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #24
Jersey Mike

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
Yes, insurance points and DMV points are not the same. AFAIK, the insurance company will only see what ends up on your DMV record, not what you were actually ticketed for in the first place. So if you get this down to a lesser speeding offense, they'll never know how fast you were actually going. Also, when you take classes to get rid of DMV points, that doesn't affect your insurance points. Any offense that your insurance sees typically lasts 3 years no matter what.

- Justin
Didn't know that. Thanks, Justin.
I guess we're goin' to court. Here's to hoping Morris isn't as bad as they say.

Quote:

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge