Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

4WD not working

2005 Silverado. Have the "service 4WD" in the driver info center. On lights on the selector. They light up when you first turn the key to the on position, but when you start the engine all the lights go out.

In the past had issues with the service light coming on but the selector still lite but the red light for the N ) , but restarting the truck would reset it, and it was just a corroded ground wire.

Are there any fuses or relays? I didn't see anything within the under the hood fuse box for the transfer case or such?
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
BarneyMobile
9 Second Club

Its probably an encoder motor problem or the switch it self. Take it to the dealer.

2000 SS M6
9.71 @ 142
BarneyMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Read the code to see which one it is... The encoder is the most common other then the switch itself.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
79T/A

Quote:
Its probably an encoder motor problem or the switch it self. Take it to the dealer.
Yup. If you're under warranty, I'd take it to the dealer. I've had the "Service 4WD" message pop up on mine for as long as I've had the truck (2000 Yukon, had it since 2008). Finally hooked it up to a code reader recently and was told the same thing. I'm going to replace the switch first, as it's cheaper and (According to my buddy) a common problem. The encoder is in the hundreds.
79T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Is there a special reader for this or is it something autozone can do? It didn't work for 2 days, now it's working fine again. So maybe the ground needs cleaning again!

No warranty, over 100K.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Most up to speed shops should have a scan tool capable of reading it. I doubt autozone will though. Might be worth looking at the connections for corrosion etc. but the issue is most likely internal as mentioned.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech