Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
KevinW

69 Convertible handling (split from another topic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharp2 View Post
Hoping mine winds up somewhat non-twitchy... I've got all the stiffeners and cross-braces in place, all four cocktail shakers to go back in and reconditionining the entire suspension all the way around
It may not be the body, but the alignment. I am working on solid sub bushing, poly rears, rubber fronts. The front suspension is totaly rebuilt, including the steering box. But the car is still doing this weird entry into corners. I can go into them fine, but at a certain point in turn, she starts understeering and I have to correct. Almost as if there is compression point that flips. Still thinking about fixes. The alignment is dead on the performance specs, but it may have something to do with no enough toe. I increased the toe from 1/16 last year. I think I need to put more toe in this year.

Last edited by KevinW; 04-17-2012 at 12:48 PM.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
It may not be the body, but the alignment. I am working on solid sub bushing, poly rears, rubber fronts. The front suspension is totaly rebuilt, including the steering box. But the car is still doing this weird entry into corners. I can go into them fine, but at a certain point in turn, she starts understeering and I have to correct. Almost as if there is compression point that flips. Still thinking about fixes. The alignment is dead on the performance specs, but it may have something to do with no enough toe. I increased the toe from 1/16 last year. I think I need to put more toe in this year.
Kev, what alignment settings are you using? Did you use stock replacement ball joints and control arms? 1st gens have such lousy geometry in stock form. Are you running a rear sway? What tire psi are you running?

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthr...ght=understeer

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
KevinW

oops, I have my terminology wrong, I have oversteer when car goes into the corner, it tries to turn more deeply into corner, so I have to steer to the outside of the turn to keep it in the corner.

Bill sorry about the hijack

Stock front suspension, fresh rubber bushings, (but now I remember seeing the uppers may need tightening )
mono leafs in rear (re-arched with poly bushings), no rear sway
Front sway is 1" aadco bar

alignment (from memory) around 4 pos caster, cant remember camber, 1/16 toe in, (but I added more)

tire pressures are around 35-37 on all 4 tires (21570R14)

Last edited by KevinW; 04-17-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

So the back of the car is getting loose and trying to come around? Ok. No rear sway. nuts, I was gonna say pull the links out and try again lol.

no g-mod, etc.? radials, right?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Right. Getting ready to put some TA radials on and get rid of those 18 year old tires. Things might work better

Thanks for the split. I am going to go look at the front end again and check the torque. Then try some of the suggestions you posted. thx

Last edited by KevinW; 04-17-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
So the back of the car is getting loose and trying to come around? Ok. No rear sway. nuts, I was gonna say pull the links out and try again lol.

Yeah, I was going to ask the tire type as well.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
KevinW

The tires that are on there now are 21570r14 Goodyear eagle GTIIs, but are 18 years old (1995)

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech