Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
EODMonkey

s&w roll bar question

i just got my s&w 8point roll bar delivered for my 02 camaro and i'm looking at the pieces and i'm not entirely sure this is gonna go together right. my big question is about the door bars. all the kits i've seen pictures of and even the guy whose gonna do the install say that my door bars should be bent inward to clear my door panels, the bars i have are completely straight. naturally i called s&w about it and they say those are the right bars for it and they mentioned that the 92 & older door bars come bent inward. can anyone with roll bars tell me if this is gonna be a problem. i can order just the door bars for the 92 but i'd imagine the lengths and bends would be off. anyone else come across this?
EODMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

My wolfe 6 point has swingouts with low slung door bars, they don't have any horizontal bend in them. The arm rest hits the door bar but my seat back is also shifted outward into the bar. Its better if I have my kirkey in.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
S.J.SLEEPER

If the bars don't have a inward bend to them, I highly doubt that they are gonna work with the door panel/armrests in place.
FYI mine are inward bent.
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
BarneyMobile
9 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
If the bars don't have a inward bend to them, I highly doubt that they are gonna work with the door panel/armrests in place.
FYI mine are inward bent.
Agreed, mine are also bent inwards to clear the door panel and its a tight fit!!

2000 SS M6
9.71 @ 142
BarneyMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

I have a wolfe it kit and the bars were supposed to be bent inward. I swapped the stock door panels for aluminum panels to gain more clearance. Then switched the driver and passenger doorbars so they actually bend out then back in to the floor to gain some moving room. You could prob do the same if the straight bars really impede your sitting space, and you can deal with some racecar.
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Mine are bent in-ward on my Wolfe 6-point weld-in with low slung swing out bars. Might want to try and talk to someone else over there unless there is some design feature that makes them fit. Sounds like it will be tight regardless.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Something is up with the kit...

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Guess I haven't been in my car in awhile
Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

The base S+W is with straight bars, they fit, will be right up against the door panel. So you need to watch this when you tack in the bars.

It is an odd angle, the bar will be right where your elbow would rest on the panel, If I knew this when I did mine I would have bent the side bar with a Z type bend so they parralled the arm rest slightly.

When we did my cage we make longer brackets in the foot well, and added a up~tube about 4" back from where the tube welded to the plate, This made the install much stronger and the bar was far more stable. The standard plate seemed to flex the floor pan a bit and we were worried about it lasting over time. For thr rear, we ran the back tubes down into the "trunk" and then built a cross bar in there to help reduce flex in the back of chassis. I'll try to get some pics.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech