Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
The_Bishop
Power Member

The real issue is how many of them survived the intervening years.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
Dudbird113

From what some of my parents friends say 60s muscle cars werent worth anything in the 70s and early 80s. My coworker said he owned like 6 muscle cars when he in his 20s, which he said he paid like 400 for. Like 8 years ago a 3rd gen was worth dirt, but there slowly climbing up in price as the years pass. Id give it time and 4th gens will be worth some money. Just not as much as a lets say a real 69 chevelle ss.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #28
jam01

while none of you guys know me personally, i figured i would give you my opinion. i am 47 and i have owned a lot of chevelles camaros trucks and some other gm cars and 1 ford bronco roughly 80 something vehicles, all registered insured and driven. anyway when i first got my license early 80's, 60's cars where plentiful and cheap and i was lucky to have a few. my first car was a 69 chevelle i paid $400. for it, unfortunately it did not last long enough for me to really enjoy. while i would pay almost anything to have that car back or one like it. moral of the story is if you love a certain car and have the funds to buy, i think most would. so yes our 4th gens will appreciate in coming years.
jam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #29
1320B4U

I remember '69 conv camaros going for 12k all day long. My parents almost bought a '68 rs for 7k back in the late 80's that was real nice. Car would've been a 20k now.
1320B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #30
Mezzy

When the 4th gens are all gone, the few that are left will be worth more than 80s cars because the 80s weren't performance years. Noone knew how to make performance while meeting the new emission standards of the day. 4th gens began to do both. Who wants to collect a v8 rs or formula with a mere 170 hp, Lmao
1994. Z28 A4 Full exhaust including SLP Long tubes, 3" ORY pipe, 3 in cat back, CAI, chip, maf,BMR A Arms, Panhard rod, torque arm,. Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, transmission more, including street shift kit.

Last edited by Mezzy; 01-14-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Mezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #31
Mezzy

I personally think 4th gens will wind up collecting more money than the older ones some day. But I also love to dream. I'm holding on to mine. That much I know today.
1994. Z28 A4 Full exhaust including SLP Long tubes, 3" ORY pipe, 3 in cat back, CAI, chip, maf,BMR A Arms, Panhard rod, torque arm,. Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, transmission more, including street shift kit.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #32
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzy View Post
I personally think 4th gens will wind up collecting more money than the older ones some day. But I also love to dream. I'm holding on to mine. That much I know today.
You can wish all day, ain't gonna happen

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #33
Mezzy

That's what we thought about most the high dollar cars today that weren't worth a hill of beans 10 years after they were made. I say history eventually repeats itself. My money is on they will be worth what todays collectables are worth.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #34
Mezzy

They do everything better than any stock 1 st gen so why wouldn't they go up in value once they become "rare"?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #35
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
That's what we thought about most the high dollar cars today that weren't worth a hill of beans 10 years after they were made. I say history eventually repeats itself. My money is on they will be worth what todays collectables are worth.
Ha ha ha. Let me know when a stock 4th gen Z28 matches the prices of a 1st gen Z28 in comparable shape. I'll give you $100.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #36
Mezzy

If we learn anything from history, its that it always repeats itself no?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #37
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

You're pretty adamant about this, so I'll bite:

1) How much do you consider "Big Dollar" -- let's get a concrete price range.
2) By what year will they reach this "Big Dollar" price?

Quote:
When the 4th gens are all gone, the few that are left will be worth more than 80s cars because the 80s weren't performance years. Noone knew how to make performance while meeting the new emission standards of the day. 4th gens began to do both. Who wants to collect a v8 rs or formula with a mere 170 hp, Lmao
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They do everything better than any stock 1 st gen so why wouldn't they go up in value once they become "rare"?

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #38
Mezzy

I'm thinking once the car is 30 yrs old, we'll see the values rival the 1st gens all day. But remember, I'm an optimist.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #39
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
I'm thinking once the car is 30 yrs old, we'll see the values rival the 1st gens all day. But remember, I'm an optimist.
so are you assuming 1st and 2nd gens will not only stop appreciating in price, but will actually depreciate? Or is your hypothesis that the pricing of 4th gen Camaros defy all logic and quadruple in value in the next 10 years?

By your logic a good fox body mustang should be worth more than a 67 fastback. News flash, it’s not.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #40
Jersey Mike

Social Networks:

Quote:
Give me a dollar number, please.

So by 2023, for LT1s and by 2028 for LS1s, if I followed you correctly?

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #41
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

They will never gain in value the way the 1st and early 2nd gen cars did.

That would mean a 4th gen SS would be worth over half a million dollars in 25 years.

Oh, and another thing to the "reclaim your youth" argument. A lot of kids today lust after 60's iron just like their dads did. Even on here. There are a lot of guys that would dump their 4th gen for a nice '69 Camaro. Therefore that will affect demand down the line.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #42
Mezzy

Well not that much, but I figured they be worth what they were new at least. What do u think ?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #43
WildBillyT

Gun to my head, a VERY nice unmolested original will be worth a bit more than new.

But the market will be flooded with all kinds of performance collector cars, and it wasn't near that way back in the 90's-early '00s. So regular stuff may stall in the teens.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #44
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Well not that much, but I figured they be worth what they were new at least. What do u think ?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #45
Mezzy

I didn't know these cars weren't really popular when new. Young guys like me, saw them new and thought they were just awesome. All my peers were sweating to have a fast modern muscle car. I don't get why on hear, some say they weren't desirable
Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #46
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I believe only the rarest and desirable combinations (read: special editions that added considerable modifications) will be worth something later on. Unmolested SS and WS6 cars will hold some value but I don't believe they will hit the level of the original muscle cars. If I have money for only a few cars, I am more likely to spend my cash on a well built vehicle that can do everything better than a stocker as opposed to an all original, low mile car. I like all original cars but owning one doesn't interest me.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #47
Mezzy

I've owned mid and late model 2nd and 3rd gens when that was all their was, and a 4th gen is much more enjoyable to me.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #48
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Gun to my head, a VERY nice unmolested original will be worth a bit more than new.

But the market will be flooded with all kinds of performance collector cars, and it wasn't near that way back in the 90's-early '00s. So regular stuff may stall in the teens.
Yup. Guys buy new ones today hoping they appreciate. My neighbor swore the 2003 Mach I he bought would jump in value. Nope. He sold it at a loss. Just look at all the low mileage 78 pace cars out there. Too many.

Quote:
I've owned mid and late model 2nd and 3rd gens when that was all their was, and a 4th gen is much more enjoyable to me.
that matters not. you obviously don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I believe only the rarest and desirable combinations (read: special editions that added considerable modifications) will be worth something later on. Unmolested SS and WS6 cars will hold some value but I don't believe they will hit the level of the original muscle cars. If I have money for only a few cars, I am more likely to spend my cash on a well built vehicle that can do everything better than a stocker as opposed to an all original, low mile car. I like all original cars but owning one doesn't interest me.
+1000000000

Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #49
Jersey Mike

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Give me a dollar number, please.

So by 2023, for LT1s and by 2028 for LS1s, if I followed you correctly?
Quote:

So $30,000 for a great condition WS6 will be the norm by 2028? ...Am I understanding this right?

Quote:

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 01-15-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #50
WildBillyT

Quote:
I didn't know these cars weren't really popular when new. Young guys like me, saw them new and thought they were just awesome. All my peers were sweating to have a fast modern muscle car. I don't get why on hear, some say they weren't desirable
For what it's worth, they sold more Camaros in just 1979 than they did the entire run of LS1 years. By 50,000 cars. Don't take that as "Well, 4th gens will be rare then". Take that as "nobody was really that excited."

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey