Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 04-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
97slpss

chrome pitting

hey guys just bought some z06 rims and theres some pitting in the back ....does that spread? and if it does is there anyway to stop it or get rid of it? thanks. santino
Old 04-22-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
omarcamaro
12 Second Club

no once it start pitting it will continue watter gets under the crome and makes it start to peal
omarcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
johnjzjz

clean it real good -- brush paint with clear POR 15 on the back side care to not get any onto front side will only buy you another year before it peals better that soon jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
NightRydaSS

Angry

U have "rim cancer" I have it also. When i bought my car it had the chrome 10-spoke SS rims on it. but it does have pitting and flaking. I polish it with special chrome wax EVERY time i was it. but that is only slowing the process down. I'm losing air b/c of this as well and my tires can seal all the way. So i have a constant slow leak on 3 wheels. U should see what the rim looks like with the tires off. Also, it started to eat away at the valve hole. Despite new valve stems, it wont seal. Im goin to get new rims this yr. No point of tryin to re-chrome when the metal it being "eaten" away.

trust me, it will only get worse.
NightRydaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRydaSS
U have "rim cancer" I have it also. When i bought my car it had the chrome 10-spoke SS rims on it. but it does have pitting and flaking. I polish it with special chrome wax EVERY time i was it. but that is only slowing the process down. I'm losing air b/c of this as well and my tires can seal all the way. So i have a constant slow leak on 3 wheels. U should see what the rim looks like with the tires off. Also, it started to eat away at the valve hole. Despite new valve stems, it wont seal. Im goin to get new rims this yr. No point of tryin to re-chrome when the metal it being "eaten" away.

the valve stem can be sealed with silicone and green slime can be added to the tires that loose air its what we do jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Chrome plated aluminum always peels off wheels. I woldn't even buy them on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRydaSS

They make bead sealer to help with pitted/rusted wheels. Adding fix-a-flat type stuff hurts the balance of a tire and generally renders it unrepairable.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz
clean it real good -- brush paint with clear POR 15 on the back side care to not get any onto front side will only buy you another year before it peals better that soon jz
Just make sure it has tooth for the POR to attach to. If it's relatively clean metal POR will peel off in sheets.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance