Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Lets talk DRs

Seems there are two new players in the Drag Radial tire wars to do battle with the MTs.

Goodyear and Nitto both came out with new models.

The New Nitto is a 0 wear rating (the 555Rs have a 100 wear rating)

Haven't read anything about the goodyear, just say the pic in one of the mags.

So anyone heard anythink good or bad?

I'm about to order tires for my 17x11s. Ws wondering how long the new Nittos might last on the street?
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
NastyEllEssWon

im also in the market for some good tires as well. id like to toss the hoosier qtp's in as well. anyone got any info on them compared to the mickey or other choices. sorry for the thread hijack
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
S.J.SLEEPER

I have always had great results w/ Nittos.
best 60' on 275/40/17 nt555r's 1.47 w/m6 & 4:10's leaving @ 5800rpms
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
JerzLT1

your best bet with a 6spd is a bias ply tire. i would go with a QTP but ive never ran a Nitto so i cant comment on that
Old 03-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
S.J.SLEEPER

My brother runs hoosier QTP's. Hooks like a mothr on his car.
South Jersey Racecraft
Old 03-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
I have always had great results w/ Nittos.
best 60' on 275/40/17 nt555r's 1.47 w/m6 & 4:10's leaving @ 5800rpms
WOW! I'm impressed, I never got close to that!

I currently run the 555Rs on my 9.5 rims and think they are a "step up" from street tires, slightly better hook of the line, but good for 15-20K miles. I air down to 24Lbs and best was a 1.9 60'. With the 3:73s they just spin on a hard launch, I leave softer and roll into it. I like the Nittos as a street/strip tire, but they are far from equal to QTPs or MTs for pure strip use. I've still managed to break drive shafts, axles and posi units These 17x11s and whatever tire are just for show until I get an better rear.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 03-29-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
mc73nova

I have had QTP's and M/T's and have no complaints on either one. I have M/T's on the Nova now, its been as good as 1.40 60'.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Squirrel
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post

I currently run the 555Rs on my 9.5 rims and think they are a "step up" from street tires, slightly better hook of the line, but good for 15-20K miles. I air down to 24Lbs and best was a 1.9 60'. With the 3:73s they just spin on a hard launch, I leave softer and roll into it. I like the Nittos as a street/strip tire, but they are far from equal to QTPs or MTs for pure strip use. I've still managed to break drive shafts, axles and posi units These 17x11s and whatever tire are just for show until I get an better rear.
you must be losing your touch old man, i've hit 1.9's on a 245 400 wear tire in my TA
93 TA, Bone stock, 13.8 @ 100 "Beating ****** drivers in ****** LS1's"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285090241699967/
R.I.P. Tia
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
S.J.SLEEPER

Quote:

I ran 17-19lbs
would do a burnout w/them till they would push & shake the car.
That was my all time best, usually ran low 1.5x's
South Jersey Racecraft
Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
you must be losing your touch old man, i've hit 1.9's on a 245 400 wear tire in my TA
hehehe. so you think there WAS I TIME I HAD IT?

No. I never did really find the balance between clutch and RPMs to get the 60's down, so I settled on 2.0s and being consistent. I played with the pinion angle, tire pressure, air bag pressure, swap bar settings, just couldn't get it to hook nicely. Now with the blower motor and street twin clutch it's even worst! Once I get a rear that will handle some sticky tires things will change - I hope - cause it can't be the drivers fault!

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 03-30-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Was the car ever scaled?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
Squirrel
13 Second Club

Quote:
hehehe. so you think there WAS I TIME I HAD IT?

No. I never did really find the balance between clutch and RPMs to get the 60's down, so I settled on 2.0s and being consistent. I played with the pinion angle, tire pressure, air bag pressure, swap bar settings, just couldn't get it to hook nicely. Now with the blower motor and street twin clutch it's even worst! Once I get a rear that will handle some sticky tires things will change - I hope - cause it can't be the drivers fault!
isnt the mcleod a 'dump at redline and hold on' kind of clutch?
93 TA, Bone stock, 13.8 @ 100 "Beating ****** drivers in ****** LS1's"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285090241699967/
R.I.P. Tia
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

What does the car weigh? I would def go lower on the air pressure regardless of what you go with next time out. How much power is the car laying down? What rear? My pig ran a 1.78 short time dumping the spec 3 at 5600rpm on 255/60-16's MT DRs.

I don't know much more about your setup than the signature lol.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

yes, street twin doesn't slip well

Should be in the 500HP range, On the initial pulls saw 460RWHP with near 9:1 AF. So rich it looked like a deisel!)

I haven't had it on the scale lately, I know I need to get weight off the front. Car is heavy,
only things removed are front sway bar and cruise control module and cable to TB. Add blower, all the piping for the front mounted 3 core, cage (steel, not CM), and my Big fat ^(*# and I would say the cars has to be in the 3900 LB range or maybe more. Rear suspension is all Spohn adjustable: TA, LCAs and PHR, air bags in springs and polly bushings in the stock sway bar. SLP SFC and level 2 shocks and springs = 1/2 drop in ride height (I know they hurt the launch). Rear is a stocker: 3:73s, Welded tubes, Mac TA cover, spohn LCA relocators. I run -2 pinion angle with the LCAs in the middle holes of the relocation brackets.

Want list 1st is a rear, then QA1s and Tubular KM. I have most of the parts to relocate the batt. to the back.

Full throttle under boost in 1st or 2nd will just spin the tires. I normally walk it off the line, 1-2 shift @ 4000 RPMs to minimize wheel spin, then let run it up the RPMs. Last time at the track tune was still slightly rich and timing was pulled back a bit. Make two passes both in the 12.4x @ 125MPH when it spun the bearings.

Have the wideband installed and in the process of breaking in the new engine and tightening up the tune now. Need to get it on the track so I can go into the upper RPMS and log data. Not easy to do on the street with this thing - Ask Josh!

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 04-01-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

If you want a great drag radial for the street because street tires wont cut it anymore, go with the nitto 555r all the way. In my experiences, they are by far the best drag radial when it comes to street driving, wet or dry. They will also last the longest

If you want a great drag radial for the track, go with a Mickey Thompson. Ive dead hooked and cut 1.5 60's with a 275 40 17 m/t out back, but im also an auto car. they are absolutely horrible in the rain after you wear them down a lil

Dumping the clutch usually results in bog/spin or broken parts. a quick slip will get you a faster 60'

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day

Last edited by 98tadriver; 04-01-2011 at 11:08 AM.
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #16
chknhwk01
What?

Thumbs up nitto,ssssss suckkkkkkkkkk....

m/t all so has a new d-radals out,,
looks like the new ''nittos 555r....
new mickey are ''greatttttttttt'' hook on track or street...
THE FAMOUS ONE215-675-8515 ,AND STEVE SPOHN,and j&g-transmisstions,willow grove,pa,215-659-3022,, R.I.P.JOE PRINCE..
chknhwk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #17
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

Quote:
Need to get it on the track so I can go into the upper RPMS and log data. Not easy to do on the street with this thing - Ask Josh!
An understatement! If you wanna do a 2am blast again let me know!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #18
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknhwk01 View Post
m/t all so has a new d-radals out,,
looks like the new ''nittos 555r....
new mickey are ''greatttttttttt'' hook on track or street...
How do you know how they are on the track? You talk all kinds of **** but have yet to run that thing.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
kazman

Most of the bracket racers are scared to switch when something they have been using works. IMO the best track dr is MT and I have Hoosier QTP's on the bird. I think at your power level and a stick you will have to change tires for the track. Sorry I don't think anything really works on the street and track. I really don't like driving any drag radial in the rain. Dumping that thing of yours at 5k needs a lot of sidewall and a 12 bolt or 9 inch. Tire diameter is another thing for you to consider. I have 4.11 gears and a 27" diameter rear tire in the formula which puts me at 6k at the finish line.

See ya if your working Friday nights.

'07 Ford Mustang GT Alloy Metallic
4.6 Auto, 3.73 gears, C&L CAI, Diablo 91 octane tune, drag radials, and a saftey loop. What else do I need for a 14 second bracket car?
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazman View Post
See ya if your working Friday nights.
You know I'll be there! Been busting my butt getting it ready. We started this past weekend and if things continue Pro is going to be one tuff class this year! Guy where throwing .00x lights on Sunday like it was easy! Kosier had two .001s and lost both rounds! Against Reklaitis he left too much room and John got around him easily, then bought back, made it to the final but Swank wasn't far behind on the tree but was dialed hard and had the better package.

Actually I was all set to go with the MTs, then I saw the new Nittos and was wondering if/how good they might be in comparison. Now I find out Numidia is going to be a Goodyear dealer, So I guess it's the GYs I'll be getting.

So I guess I'll just keep the current 9.5s ZR1s with the Nitto DRs for real street driving, and the 11s with 315s for shows/racing. Not like they are going to get worn out driving to the track every weekend!

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #21
kazman

Quote:
Not like they are going to get worn out driving to the track every weekend!

Home to the track is closer than the finish line is to the staging lanes. That is a long long drive for ya. lol.

I may have to scrap my entire racing schedule. I got too much on my plate right now and this weekend is out for me. I got a job interview next week in Cape Coral. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I did install my t-top inserts just in case I have to fight off the hot floridian sun.

Brackets keep getting tuffer each year. The RT windows keep shrinking and its getting to a point where dead on with an 8 or 9 isn't going to cut it. Add 2 gallons of gas in the staging lanes to add weight and dial up 1 ...and this is in street. lol.

4.6 Auto, 3.73 gears, C&L CAI, Diablo 91 octane tune, drag radials, and a saftey loop. What else do I need for a 14 second bracket car?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #22
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazman View Post
I got a job interview next week in Cape Coral. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I did install my t-top inserts just in case I have to fight off the hot floridian sun.
Wish you luck with the job! I've been looking hard for something closer to home, but there aint much our there!

Well we need to get to hOoters one night, I still owe you for the perfect light at the NATS!

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #23
kazman

Quote:
Wish you luck with the job! I've been looking hard for something closer to home, but there aint much our there!

Well we need to get to hOoters one night, I still owe you for the perfect light at the NATS!
Thanks. A few beers and some lies about racing sound great. I'll shoot ya a pm next week when I get back to PA.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing