Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Flippindabird

help with my combo

im going dirt cheap bang for the buck but i want the car to be as fast as possible this year and next year im gonna spend some real money on a 383 with 23degree heads...

350 4 bolt vortec long block
LT1 cam/ lt4 hot cam now
howards matching valve springs
cc Qjetand matching distributor(LG4 car)
hooker 2055Rs w/ hollow 3" cat and slp LM2 for 4th gens

700r4 w/ transgo shift kit and 2600stall converter

3.23 posi from a 98 formula
245/55/16 nittos all around
totally stock suspension

my goal is to be solidly in the 13s with the stock suspension(13.9/13.8 or better just no 14.2s could have done that with the 305)

my question is about intake choice
should i use an edelbrock performer rpm
or a GMPP daul plane Qjet egr

the gmpp will run me about 125 and i can probably get the rpm for 85
-the gmpp will allow the vehicle to look stock easily passing the pa "visual inspection"
-the rpm is less money and but its not going to get me through inspection easily ill have to bribe someone
-the gmpp is based on the performer intake so i will make power up to 5000rpm
-the rpm obviously makes it 1500 to 6500

which intake will make the car faster in the 1/4?
keep in mind the lt1 cam has like 202/208 dur and 447/459 lift
will the amount of low end lost by the rpm make the car slower?
will the amount of top end lost by the gmpp make it slower?
i HAVE to answer these questions or im dead in the water, i dont want to waste money because like i said next year i will have a completely different combo and im gonna be selling all this or i would buy them both and test them to see, thanks for your help

Last edited by Flippindabird; 09-01-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Flippindabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

just an observation, why spend the money twice? why not add things that can be used in the next build? drivetrain, rear, and suspension work never hurts and if the right parts are bought; they can be used in the next build.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
btownws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
just an observation, why spend the money twice? why not add things that can be used in the next build? drivetrain, rear, and suspension work never hurts and if the right parts are bought; they can be used in the next build.
agreed
btownws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

And why an LT1 cam? There are so many better cams out there for SBC's....
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Are you running Vortec heads or L98s? This post and your other one asking for a machine shop are not consistent.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

If you are dead set on an LT1 cam, I have one with ~75k on it in my closet if you want it.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
And why an LT1 cam? There are so many better cams out there for SBC's....
My first thought was that cam is going to be too small for a carb'd 383. Not enough duration to feed it in the upper RPMs. It's going to "nose over" 5,000 RPMs.

Also we need to know what you are tageting for CR, and what RPM you're looking to turn.

Also intake is less of an issue with a loose convertor and 3:23 gears. The car will most likely be soft in the lower RPMs.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Flippindabird

wow thats alot... i have a set of l98 heads and i have a vortec longblock i want to use the l98 heads but im thinking about selling both heads and getting aftermarketones. supension etc is done for now. only doing the engine im a family man and most of my money gets spent on toys the whole family can enjoy(boats, jetskis,4wheelers other cars etc) i havent driven the firebird for 3 years and i want to drive it at the track this summer, it needs suspension and new tires/brakes but they are fine to run 13s at a dragstrip for now, the lt1 cam is the cheapest cam with the most lift and you can use it with stock heads with no guide mods ive got like 400$ in everything im trying to go bang for buck not buck for bang. next year i will have a forged 383 built with a custom cam taller gears and possibly a manual tranny as well as supension tires and LS1 brakes all around then N2O hope this answers everything if not ill go look... basically im thinking that most ppl would say the rpm is the better choice correct?

Last edited by Flippindabird; 07-28-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
WildBillyT

Well, I am very satisfied with my Vortec combo. Runs very strong and was pretty cheap to build. You may want to consider running yours.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
Flippindabird

i am going to run the vortecs this year but next year im gonna have aluminum heads on a 383 the vortec heads are very good, everyone uses them, thats one of the reasons i dont want to, but i also want to drop weight, the car is a heavy sob and i want to put as much aluminum on her as poss i want it to be fast and handle good and heavy isnt really in the requirements for either of those things
Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippindabird View Post
i am going to run the vortecs this year but next year im gonna have aluminum heads on a 383 the vortec heads are very good, everyone uses them, thats one of the reasons i dont want to, but i also want to drop weight, the car is a heavy sob and i want to put as much aluminum on her as poss i want it to be fast and handle good and heavy isnt really in the requirements for either of those things
So which heads are you having the machine work done to? Are they not for this current engine?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
Flippindabird

does it matter??? im going to run vortecs this year and if the machine work was cheaer id probably have them done but since its so expensive i think im just gonna get a set of aftermarket heads
Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #13
Flippindabird

and no the when i created the machine shop thread i was actually thinking next year, but then this vortec long block came up and now ive got something that should be able to run 13s this year with very little cash outlay... like i said though if it was cheap id get it done to the vortecs and then find a GOOD used cam cheap
Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
Flippindabird

i know this is gonna kill most of you guys, thats why im posting it lol
im gonna use the STOCK vortec springs with the LT1 cam, after talking to the po he told me the heads were rebuilt with new springs and seals about 30k ago(also a "better cam" was used), when i inspected them, they look brand new, the seals too, and since this was in a suburban, i highly doubt it saw alot of the upper rpms for an extended periodthe timing chain looked new too. so last night i saw in the scoggin dickey catalog that the stock L31 heads are good to .450" lift, i called scoggin dickey and said "can i use an LT1 cam with the stock l31 springs, he said "youll be fine. the LT1 cam is only .459 lift and the springs are good to .460, itll probably see a few more rpm with better springs and be safer in the long run but if your only gonna use them for a little while you should be fine"
so lets see how cheap i can go 13s on a basically junk motor !
Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
Flippindabird

new question, what should the redline be on this engine? im thinking 5600rpm??
sound right?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #16
JerzLT1

just spin it to 6500, thats what i did with my stock bottom end LT1
Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #17
Flippindabird

lol yeah i have a stock bottom end with unknown mileage, GM says 5700 for a stock LT1 thats funny though, drive it like you stole it huh? if mine breaks i have to buy another one

Last edited by Flippindabird; 08-03-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #18
Flippindabird

NAh F it! 7k all the way!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
Featherburner

6 grand should be fine.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #20
HeadlessNorseman

from this thread it doesnt seem like you really understand what your in for. First off... a vortec 350 is not a "junk" motor. You could easily pull 400+ crank hp out of that thing with a little machine work on the heads for the cam lift, a bigger cam, and the right intake and carb. As for your intake, any dual plane will be fine. Holley carbs in my experience tend to be awesome. And next, if your going to build a 383, it shouldnt be on a "budget". You basically have to get the stock block bored and rebuilt, a new crank, all new pistons and rods, etc. also you mentioned not wanting to use vortec heads cause "everyone else does that", well who doesnt put a 350 in a camaro or other gm car? who cares what everyone else is doing?

JSFBOA

Draino?
HeadlessNorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #21
HeadlessNorseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
also... + 1 to this. You should be doing this stuff before the stock motor ever leaves the car. No matter what you do, the 10 bolt is going to be the weak link followed by the stock trans

JSFBOA

Draino?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #22
Flippindabird

Wink

i put a transgo kit in a 110k transmission that was used by my dad(who changes fluids eccentrically sometimes when its not even needed) for transportation for 9 years then garaged and used occasionally for leisure, the 10 bolt is from a 98 formula with 65k im sure they will run 13s just fine, im thinking if theres a weak link, its the ujoints and the driveshaft cause they are 1987 vintage base V8 Firebird i have a 600$ budget for this car this year, and the vortec long block w/ rpm manifold set me back 275(junk motor) the cam was 50, luckily i have a new cloyes timing, set a gmpp gasket set and a melling hv oil pump, im reusing just about everything i can, as for the suspension, how much hook do you think theres gonna be with 245/55/16 nittos?? i got about 275 to button it up, and then, after i have the car running smooth and any issues that MIGHT come along are taken care of, i can get some upgrades, until then if anyone has something to donate (ie suspension or drivetrain items) it would be greatly appreciated like i said earlier im a family man im the lone income in my family and i have more to worry about then just making my car better, i save little by little for my car, and im tired of not being able to enjoy it once in a while, gets boring driving the Z71, explorer, and subaru and i havent driven the bird for 3 years, the 305 was slow so i vowed to make it faster, so i parked the car, now im gonna enjoy it a little this year, then park it again, and have a 383 built ls1 brakes up front, t56 swap complete suspension upgrade w/ sfc and roll bars then ill get a carpet and a headliner lol and 4th gen console and seats, then she'll be done until im ready to get a cowl hood and have it painted...
so now you know the plan, your warnings are duly noted but if she cant withstand being driven nicely for 45mins to the dragstrip, ran for a few times and driven back... then its a good thing i have triple A

and reed, how much would your "little machine work" cost? becuase i have it priced out to 325, the block work 350, and we all know what a balanced forged rotating assembly, w/matching flexplate, and balancer cost, bottom line is im not ready to spend that much this year i do believe that the heads im gonna get will be edlebrock Etec heads, they are aluminum, a good price, flow well out of the box and ill be able to reuse the rpm intake anyway try to remember we dont all have the same budget and when someone clearly states that they are not going to do it this year, telling them over and over agian to do it isnt going to change the fact that they dont wanna spend the money

Last edited by Flippindabird; 08-04-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #23
HeadlessNorseman

Well it sounds like your going to do what you want no matter what... so why ask questions?

JSFBOA

Draino?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #24
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REED! View Post
Well it sounds like your going to do what you want no matter what... so why ask questions?
All he asked is which intake to run......

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #25
Flippindabird

duly noted bill and i agree thanks

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning