Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
r0nin89

Anyone recommend some reading for NHRA classes?

I'm very new to the idea of bringing a car to the strip. I've really only tinkered with go fast machines before I got my 442.

Is there a good read up that puts the NHRA class rules into stupid people talk? I'm mean I've read through them before and theyre pretty self explanatory but at the same time confuse me a little.

Or you guys could jsut tell me what class I should be in

I want to run a car as fast as I can in a bracket but no cage. I know 11.5 is the quickest time for no cage but is 11.5 also a bracket?

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
thehazguy

Living in Pt Pleasant you'll probably go to Englishtown. Check the link about the different classes

http://www.racewaypark.com/street_et.aspx
thehazguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
r0nin89

Yeah I checked that again. They do have an 11.5 ET class. So I guess thats their "fast as I go w/o needing a cage" bracket lol.

That being said I thought the classes/brackets were generally the same for all tracks no?

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
thehazguy

Not sure but if they are NHRA sanctioned then I would they are. The guys run for points for the bracket finals and they fall into the same ET guidelines for qualifying.
thehazguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehazguy View Post
Not sure but if they are NHRA sanctioned then I would they are. The guys run for points for the bracket finals and they fall into the same ET guidelines for qualifying.
Well I check some of the other tracks somewhat near here. Atco has no class information on their site. Island states that they run 12.00 and 10.00 index vs raceways 11.50 vs 10.00. I believe island is an NHRA track so I guess that idea is out the window lol.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
kazman

Simply there is the big guys, meduim, and local. the big guys are John Force, Warren Johnson, etc. There is Div1 racing which is meduim. Very restrictive on the car and class, teardown, weight checks, and fuel checks. A freind runs a 65 289 mustang which has stock heads, stock 4bbl, etc. Car runs high 10's and needs 50-70 more hp to be competetive in his class.

That leaves the local "Summitt Series" Each track can custom the rules and number of events. They have street, pro and super pro. Street and pro are foot break classes which forbid 2-steps, trans brakes, delay boxes and throttle stops (non electic class). Street is 19.99 to 11.50 needs dot tires and mufflers, factory glass. Pro is 15.00-9.0 and allow slicks, lexen windows, open exhaust etc. Requied safety equipment depends on how fast you go. No roll bar for hard top and t-top car down to 11.50. Verts with no roll bar are limited to 13.50. If you run a non factory power adder (juice, turbo, or super charger) you are required a fire jacket no matter what ET. Cars are teched in for each race to check that you have the required stuff for the ET your running.

Atco, Raceway, Cecil, Maple Grove, Island, and Numidia are the local tracks around the area and all run brackets over the season. They call the races points race, summit race, money race, etc. If you have any questions shoot me a pm.

The tracks also have index races. That is where you see 12.0, 11.50, 10.0 etc. In those races the dial in is set for you class such a 11.50. You have 11.50 on your window and run that all day. In the bracket events you can change your dial on each round.

'07 Ford Mustang GT Alloy Metallic
4.6 Auto, 3.73 gears, C&L CAI, Diablo 91 octane tune, drag radials, and a saftey loop. What else do I need for a 14 second bracket car?

Last edited by kazman; 11-13-2010 at 11:13 AM.
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
kazman

Which track do you plan to run and do you know exactly how fast your car is?

4.6 Auto, 3.73 gears, C&L CAI, Diablo 91 octane tune, drag radials, and a saftey loop. What else do I need for a 14 second bracket car?
Old 11-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
mc73nova

Reading up on what to expect is helpful so you're not clueless but I would say going to the track is your best bet, especially if you plan on bracket racing. Weekly bracket racers are extremely helpful and always willing to help a fellow racer.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazman View Post
Which track do you plan to run and do you know exactly how fast your car is?
Englishtown more than likely.

The car will more than likely be 12.00-mid 11s when I build the 383 for it.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
kazman

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
Englishtown more than likely.

The car will more than likely be 12.00-mid 11s when I build the 383 for it.
If you keep it 11.50 or slower. You need a valid drivers license, helmet, 4 dot tires, mufflers, and a driveshaft loop. Batter must have a hold down, no fluid leaks, radiator overflow, all tire wheel studs and lug nuts on. You must have long pants, at least a t-shirt, soxs and closed sneakers or shoes. If your spraying, super or turbo charging a fire jacket is required.

Raceway classes for you are Gamblers (anything is legal including dragsters) race on Fridays, Real Street on Saturdays, Street ET and or Pro ET on Sundays. Depending on how fast 12.0 index or 11.50 index (you need to be able to run on those indexes to be competitive). Since you have mufflers you can run on non noise days. Raceway has issues with noise due to it's neighbors. Also you should be able to run at the "special" event days like Imports vs Americian Muscle, Ford and Chevy vs the World, and Classic Muscle (cars with carbs).

Dot tires include all the drag radials (BF Goodrich, Hoosier, Mickey Thompson etc) as well as Hoosier QTP and ET Streets (bias ply tires).

Link for RP classes: http://www.etownraceway.com/drag_racing_classes.aspx

You don't have to sigh up for the points program to run at these events. Just look at the tracks schedule and show up at the gate. Street and Pro are the same deal at Atco, Maple Grove, Island, Numidia, and Cecil.

Last edited by kazman; 11-14-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazman View Post
If you keep it 11.50 or slower. You need a valid drivers license, helmet, 4 dot tires, mufflers, and a driveshaft loop. Batter must have a hold down, no fluid leaks, radiator overflow, all tire wheel studs and lug nuts on. You must have long pants, at least a t-shirt, soxs and closed sneakers or shoes. If your spraying, super or turbo charging a fire jacket is required.

Raceway classes for you are Gamblers (anything is legal including dragsters) race on Fridays, Real Street on Saturdays, Street ET and or Pro ET on Sundays. Depending on how fast 12.0 index or 11.50 index (you need to be able to run on those indexes to be competitive). Since you have mufflers you can run on non noise days. Raceway has issues with noise due to it's neighbors. Also you should be able to run at the "special" event days like Imports vs Americian Muscle, Ford and Chevy vs the World, and Classic Muscle (cars with carbs).

Dot tires include all the drag radials (BF Goodrich, Hoosier, Mickey Thompson etc) as well as Hoosier QTP and ET Streets (bias ply tires).

Link for RP classes: http://www.etownraceway.com/drag_racing_classes.aspx

You don't have to sigh up for the points program to run at these events. Just look at the tracks schedule and show up at the gate. Street and Pro are the same deal at Atco, Maple Grove, Island, Numidia, and Cecil.
Thanks man. Thats the general consensus I got when reading through the classes but wasnt sure if I was missing something that would make me only qualified for one night. Guess not.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing