Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

1995 LT1 OBDI Engine Swap Q

For arguments sake,lets say I wanted to take a motor and computer from a 95 LT1 car and swap it over to another year F-body (93-94 OBDI or 96-97 OBDII) is it as simple as swapping just the computer and motor itsel or does it require a complete harness to go with it? Its been a while since I've dealt with this kind of stuff, so a memory refresher is in order.

Said computer is already tuned to the particular motor in question.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I know there are some body harness differences, but not sure if it would be easier to swap a few pinouts or swap the entire harness.

I'm sure some of the more experienced LT1ers will chime in with their expertise.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

It really depends on what year to what year. I would try to get a 95 with same options as what you have though. You definitely want to keep you engine harness and you might need the engine bay harness pending what you get and want to keep, like abs etc.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
V
Stalker

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The engine harness can come out still attached to motor if you drop it all out the bottom. and at that point, its very easy to pull the remaining engine compartment harness. Even doing a full swap of the interior/chassis harness is not difficult at all, well for a n00b maybe its a bit confusing. Id obviously help if need be and i've pulled dozens of harness intact.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Harness swap for a 93 for sure. Batch fire sticks out as the first big issue. Then opti harness, Need to do something with MAF? all diff. You most likely need to at the least cut the harness up. And the trans are different to.

The 95 into a 96-97 would probably be no issue being they used the same parts should work fine, I think all the connections are the same? maybe just the VATS?
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech