Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey

Notices

Old 10-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
heavy_chevy29

question about island

i want to bring my car to island before the end of the season(i know that i dont have a long time). im trying to get a trailer so i can go. i saw on their site they said that they hold test and tunes on sundays 10am to 4pm. does it get real crowded there this late in the season on a sunday. im looking to get some shake down runs with the new rear and this motor. also are they going to tech the **** out of my car. i have no idea what it will run. but i dont plan of beating the **** out of it do to some clutch issues i have the other.

also if anyone knows were i can get a trailer please let me know. its alot harder than i thought it would be to get a trailer.
heavy_chevy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Sundays always seem to be hit or miss late in the season. I have gone on Sunday and gotten there shortly after the gates opened and gotten in 11 runs while allowing some time for the car to cool.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Sunday's aren't that crowded, but they tend to tech a lot.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

what exactly do you mean by "tech the **** out of your car"? is it a streetable car or is it a race car? you must have some semblance of an idea where its gonna run... 12-13 sec range? 10-11.. etc... if you have slicks, have a ds loop, but its not hard to get through tech if your car is honestly a safe car. if you have belts, make sure they're not out of date, etc etc etc...

as for crowds, late in the season it doesnt tend to be too crazy, but from what i heard last weekend was a zoo, so like justin said.. its hit or miss. just make sure you get there when or before gates open, you should get plenty of runs.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
what exactly do you mean by "tech the **** out of your car"?
Rules are for suckers!

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:42 AM   #6
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

whts the last weekend?

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

lol melissa he said "tend to tech a lot" not "tech the **** out of your car"

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_chevy29 View Post
i want to bring my car to island before the end of the season(i know that i dont have a long time). im trying to get a trailer so i can go. i saw on their site they said that they hold test and tunes on sundays 10am to 4pm. does it get real crowded there this late in the season on a sunday. im looking to get some shake down runs with the new rear and this motor. also are they going to tech the **** out of my car. i have no idea what it will run. but i dont plan of beating the **** out of it do to some clutch issues i have the other.

also if anyone knows were i can get a trailer please let me know. its alot harder than i thought it would be to get a trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP99GT View Post
lol melissa he said "tend to tech a lot" not "tech the **** out of your car"

Old 10-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post

Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post

x2, no flower

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
heavy_chevy29

Unhappy

its a street car. i tryied to make it as safe as possible. i have a driveshaft loop, scattershield, and things like that. i honestly really dont what the car is going to run. i plan on babying it for the first run or two.

the only reason i asked about tech is because i went there with a friend to watch him run in his 240 and they were really breaking his balls.

im not sure if im going to make it to the track before the end of the season. it is alot harder than i thought it would be to find a trailer.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:57 AM   #12
johnjzjz

Quote:
its a street car. i tryied to make it as safe as possible. i have a driveshaft loop, scattershield, and things like that. i honestly really dont what the car is going to run. i plan on babying it for the first run or two.

the only reason i asked about tech is because i went there with a friend to watch him run in his 240 and they were really breaking his balls.

im not sure if im going to make it to the track before the end of the season. it is alot harder than i thought it would be to find a trailer.
The difference between having your balls broken and having them let you drive a car at or over a hundred MPH in an unsafe or incorrect assembled way is -- they really don't care that YOU might be an ass -- but the other guy next to you that has lots of money in his sweet ride and is playing buy ALL the rules you might end up hurting him --- SO for the people who do want to come home with their life and their ride you will be looked at -- ITS THE WAY IT IS DUDE -- jz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9ha5p1161740708.jpg (16.9 KB, 12 views)
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:45 AM   #13
WayFast84

Nice avatar jz
Old 10-29-2006, 07:54 AM   #14
heavy_chevy29

i completely understand about rules. im not asking anyone to break the rules. they busted my friends balls when his car was completely safe. besides the fact that it only ran somewhere in the 15s in the low 90s. i also understand about people having alot of money in there car, because i am one of those people.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:06 AM   #15
johnjzjz

Quote:
i completely understand about rules. im not asking anyone to break the rules. they busted my friends balls when his car was completely safe. besides the fact that it only ran somewhere in the 15s in the low 90s. i also understand about people having alot of money in there car, because i am one of those people.
I can help with what you need too know is it a full race car -- or a street car and how fast do you think it will be -- it will have to be in the 11s before any real stuff becomes an issue ??? and when your in tech if even for just looks some guys have a NOS bottle in the trunk -- thas a no no -- i seen a kid show up w a 4 door ricearonny and it went 11:00 of course he was thrown right out --- ???? -- jz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01_12.jpg (22.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 6b_1.jpg (6.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-29-2006, 08:39 AM   #16
j0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
it will have to be in the 11s before any real stuff becomes an issue
unless you've got a slow vert like me
Old 10-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #17
heavy_chevy29

never mind. im going to wait until next year to run the car
Old 10-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #18
johnjzjz

Quote:
never mind. I'm going to wait until next year to run the car
why are you doing that -- bring it up to the track and have the guys tech the car -- than you will know what if anything you will need to do over the winter --- you deff will need your own helmet, full length pants, if you have moved the battery it must be re located to the trunk and bolted through the frame, no more the 12 inches of rubber fuel line, and a set of stock belts -- after rereading your post its a at best a 15 / 13 second car so it will be a snap ??????? rent a tow Dolly from U Haul for the day 40 / 50 bucks ???? i don't know and pay your entrance on Sunday 30 bucks and go and see what you have been wanting to do with it -- leaving it in the garage and looking at it gets old -- GO take it out -- you will than have a starting point -- next saterday or sunday we will be testing my back up car see pix if you see us their say high -- jz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0163.JPG (17.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 30-1130677414976.jpg (17.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 559-1132794931389.jpg (35.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-30-2006, 06:18 AM   #19
heavy_chevy29

i would definatley expect better than a 13 sec run. the car is pretty worked over. its got a scott shafiroff 434sb with a ford nine inch rear, and alot of suspension work. the biggest problem is that i have the stock clutch and stock t5 manual trans. right now im having a few problems with the rear leaking at the axle tubes. and im also having clutch slipping issues. i do have a scattersheild so if it blows it would be ok. my battery is in the trunk but i welded the bolt downs to the floor with some braces. i also will be running with mickey thompson drag radial. i have a driveshaft loop so thats not a problem. just dont want the tech guys to look at the car and automaticaly think that its a race car and have them start teching the car as a race car. i really just want to do some shake down runs. i just want to get a feel for it. if i start getting to time that would cause me to breake the rules i would just stop and leave.

thanks for all the info
Old 10-30-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
johnjzjz

Quote:
the biggest problem is that i have the stock clutch and stock t5 manual trans. right now I'm having a few problems with the rear leaking at the axle tubes. and I'm also having clutch slipping issues. i do have a scattersheild so if it blows it would be OK. my battery is in the trunk but i welded the bolt downs to the floor with some braces. i also will be running with mickey thompson drag radial. i have a driveshaft loop so thats not a problem.
If the little bit you have driven it you already know the clutch does not hold the motor back than the trans cant get hurt --- and what kind of flywheel did you use ( alloy ) or stock steel ????? -- the axle tubes on a 9 inch it depends small bearing early or late large bearing ( BUT ) take the wheel off pull the axle out clean and silicone the out side of the bearing NOTE some 9 inch rears have a seal behind the bearing on the inside of the tube if the oil is leaking right through the bearing it self -- than it will need a seal installed into the tube or it will never stop leaking --- the battery --- if the bolts do not go directly into a frame rail you will fail -- i have a 2006 rule book it has diagrams for that sort of thing if you need it -- drag radial tires i got a lesson in what they can do in a money race Last year a pal had a 80 malaboo with a small block 355 2 speed 456 gears 9 inch mickeys car went 10:19 131 MPH -- never thought it would hook and he had 16 pounds of air in them so don't discount them --- bigger tires take more power to drive those big boots down the track -- but being you have a stick you will need a real tire my guess anyway -- jz
Old 10-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #21
heavy_chevy29

i have a stock steel flywheel. i had one incident were the clutch slipped doing a burn out. but that burn out was alittle over kill. after i got done doing that burnout, i could not put the car in any gears. the next day i went back(left it at my friends) and i drove it home(no problems). i think it was a combo of a bunch ot things. clutch slippage, overheating the clutch, and not enough fluid in the hydraulic clutch. the rear does have the larger non-sealed bearing. i took the axles out, cleaned and siliconed the seals when i got home from work today. so ill have to drive it and keep an eye on it. i guess im screwed as far as the battery goes. there really is no frame to bolt it to on my car.

thanks alot for all this help you are giving me. i really appreciate it
Old 10-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #22
johnjzjz

Quote:
im screwed as far as the battery goes. there really is no frame to bolt it to on my car.
Ok the guys at island are real and if you made a real attempt at an attachment to hold it still and it passes a head shake if their is some other way they will tell you and let you run i am sure --- just because someone else has something go on does not --- you are not them -- question # 1 the clutch size ---- ques # 2 is it a diam or is it a 3 finger ( 3 finger is way more in what you want to run a stick car ) and a must re serface the fly7wheel if and when you change it out - jz
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 AM   #23
heavy_chevy29

the clutch is stock. i thinks its 10.5 inches(im not 100% sure). it is a diapham style clutch. the reason im thinking about waiting to go to the track is because, by the spring time i would have enough money saved up to get a built th350 automatic. then i could sell the 5 speed. then i wont have to worry about missing shifts or launching hard.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:20 AM   #24
johnjzjz

Quote:
the clutch is stock. i thinks its 10.5 inches(im not 100% sure). it is a diapham style clutch. the reason im thinking about waiting to go to the track is because, by the spring time i would have enough money saved up to get a built th350 automatic. then i could sell the 5 speed. then i wont have to worry about missing shifts or launching hard.
FOR RACING AN AUTOMATIC IS A WAY - BETTER AND CHEEPER -- IS THIS GOING TO BE A FULL TIME RACE CAR ?? BECAUSE A 3 SPEED WILL LEAVE A LOT HARDER THAN SAY A POWERGLIDE SAME 1-TO -1 HIGH SPEED -- AND 350s ARE NOT VERY STRONG A 400 IS BETTER UNIT - BUT WILL TAKE AWAY SOME ET FROM THE CAR -- 2 REASONS ITS HEAVY -- #2 - THE INTERNALS ARE BIG AND STRONG AND TAKE MORE TORQUE TO DRIVE THE DOWN THE TRACK BUT ITS NOT EASY TO BLOW IT UP -- JZ
Old 11-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #25
heavy_chevy29

its not a track car. its more of a street car. i plan on buying a trailer soon so that i can go to the track more often. i was also thinking about the th400. im leaning more towards the th350 because of the weight but you brought up some very good points. what do you think a real good street strip 350 or 400 would cost me.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey