Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #26
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Lettuce be cereal guise, an LT1 will never be good at much except being slow, and needing optis
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #27
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
Lettuce be cereal guise, an LT1 will never be good at much except being slow, and needing optis
True that. Your LT1 goes through optis faster than both sides went through bullets at the invasion of Normandy.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #28
donnj

^^^^^^ LOL !!!!!!!
donnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #29
zraffz

Okay. Honestly, I do not want to keep 3-4 vehicles at my house (my mom is cool with it but I feel like it's more of a nuisance and makes me look like an ass). Between my brother and I (in cars, not trucks or work vehicles) we have 3 Camaros and a Trans Am.
I've decided the IROC is going to a new home and that leaves me with a lifted truck and 2 LT1 cars. One of the LT1s is going; rather it be the 6 speed Pontiac or the automatic Camaro.

Or do I not invest any more money in either of the cars and sell them both come spring time and buy a LS1 Z28 for a little bit out of pocket? If I buy a LS1 it's going to be a T56 and become a bolt on daily driver and not much more. I really want to build a drag car (thinking about it the supercharger, Trans Am, will net me about 4 grand and still leave me 2-3 grand more in pocket from not buying a LS1 after selling the LT1 Camaro; leaving me 6-7 grand to invest into the LT1 camaro) and figure the new car is perfect but I hear so much crap about the LT1s and I can't judge it from the other side since I've never owned an LSx f-body.

Last edited by zraffz; 11-15-2011 at 03:09 PM.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #30
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

First of all figure out if you want a drag car or a daily driver...then think about how much money you want to spend. Your 6 spd Pontiac could very well be a bolt on DD and you could be happy with that, and not needing an LS1. You change your plans all the time and that's how you ended up with mismatched cars you aren't happy with in their current state.

LT1s, while not offering the easy performance potential of the LSX's are still great motors and if maintained properly are very reliable.

There's a member on here who has 220+k miles on his LT1 when he sold it, still runs mid 13s, and has been to hell and back. It ran like a champ, but since it has a locker and 4.56s it was retired from DD duty.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #31
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy View Post
First of all figure out if you want a drag car or a daily driver...then think about how much money you want to spend. Your 6 spd Pontiac could very well be a bolt on DD and you could be happy with that, and not needing an LS1. You change your plans all the time and that's how you ended up with mismatched cars you aren't happy with in their current state.

LT1s, while not offering the easy performance potential of the LSX's are still great motors and if maintained properly are very reliable.

There's a member on here who has 220+k miles on his LT1 when he sold it, still runs mid 13s, and has been to hell and back. It ran like a champ, but since it has a locker and 4.56s it was retired from DD duty.
I can very well keep both and have a DD and a drag car but for the sake of cleaning up the property and not blowing all my money on two vehicles, I need to make a choice. The truck has to stay or be replaced with another 4WD vehicle so that rules out eliminating it from the property (need a way to get to work to plow the town roads).

I really shouldn't have bought the Z28 and just made the Formula into a street/strip car (and lived with horrible times until I got better at shifting) because now it made my plans confusing. I suppose I can have my pie and eat it by leaving the 6 speed supercharged with nothing else (and driving it) and investing money into the Z28 to make strictly a drag car. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #32
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
I can very well keep both and have a DD and a drag car but for the sake of cleaning up the property and not blowing all my money on two vehicles, I need to make a choice. The truck has to stay or be replaced with another 4WD vehicle so that rules out eliminating it from the property (need a way to get to work to plow the town roads).

I really shouldn't have bought the Z28 and just made the Formula into a street/strip car (and lived with horrible times until I got better at shifting) because now it made my plans confusing. I suppose I can have my pie and eat it by leaving the 6 speed supercharged with nothing else (and driving it) and investing money into the Z28 to make strictly a drag car. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Pick the f-body in better condition and build that. Ignore speed parts in the comparison.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #33
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

How fast you looking to go with the dedicated drag car? Or you just want one to race, blow up, and replace as needed?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #34
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Honestly, you should take WBT's advice and then do your best to clean up the other one, and stick a for sale sign on it in the spring and hopefully you'll make a few bucks on it.

Then concentrate all of your modding efforts on one car, and take the project where ever you decide.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #35
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
How fast you looking to go with the dedicated drag car? Or you just want one to race, blow up, and replace as needed?
Planned on pretty much just doing bolt ons for the spring. Running it to get a baseline. Suspension. Figure out what will help get me down the track the fastest. 100 shot and run it til it blows up. That should at least occupy most of next race season. If it blows before the end of the season; oh well. If not it will be taken apart over the winter anyway.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #36
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Do you have a number you are trying to hit or just as fast as possible with the given setup?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #37
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Do you have a number you are trying to hit or just as fast as possible with the given setup?
Just see what I can do with the car with bolt ons. Then with rear suspension. Then nitrous/slicks (and new rear end when it blows apart). At this point I'd like to see high 11's or low 12's.
After that I want to build a stroker motor over next winter... not sure if my goals are realistic as far as times but would love to see low 11's-high 10's using AI 200cc heads and whatever cam they suggest (with the intention of using a 150-200 shot in the future). Don't care if it takes a 5,000 stall torque converter and huge slicks to get there; like I said I don't have any intentions of driving it on the road.

Last edited by zraffz; 11-15-2011 at 09:34 PM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia