Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #26
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Well I would keep the ORY/catback, so worst case swap exhausts. Just want some thing more agressive.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #27
JerzLT1

Mine will be off in the next few weeks if your interested. It's a custom ttp setup
Old 06-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #28
LTb1ow

Yea I still gotta listen to it, been stuck in class all day.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #29
LTb1ow

Just listened to your youtube clip, sounds very nice man!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #30
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

In NJ the exhaust has to exit at the side or rear of the vehicle at least 4" after any window that you can roll down. So on a 4th gen, the exhaust has to come to (near?) the edge of the body anywhere behind the rear wheels.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #31
LTb1ow

So I could theoretically have 90 degrees after the mufflers and shoot em out the side in front of the wheels?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #32
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shownomercy View Post
So I could theoretically have 90 degrees after the mufflers and shoot em out the side in front of the wheels?
I don't think there is enough space there. Go measure from the rearmost point of your side window to the leading edge of the wheelwell. You'll need at least 7" there to run a 3" tip out the side.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #33
LTb1ow

Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #34
NastyEllEssWon

deff not legal
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #35
LTb1ow

Deff loud as hell too, lol.

Nah still thinking it over, so no rush.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #36
Frosty

I don't mean any disrespect but why are you hacking up this poor car? Between wanting to move fuel lines and some small solenoid that's not bothering anything and now wanting run dumps on a car that traps at a 105mph...I don't know...it seems like you're trying to do all of this stuff when you have other issues to handle. Even if your car was faster it's still a waste.

You're taking an average street car and ruining the drivability and practicality. To each their own but it's not like you own some 10 second car that sees the track all of the time.

With that said, if you're hell-bent on running duals definitely listen to Bonzo.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #37
NastyEllEssWon

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...3/HPIM0676.jpg

if you have it done like that and have the piping routed a bit more to the passenger side you can prolly still run a chassis mount t/a too
Old 06-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #38
LTb1ow

IDK, a chassis mount torque arm would replace the stock and that may come off as hacking my poor ole car....

IDK still thinking of a few different options...
Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #39
Frosty

Quote:
IDK, a chassis mount torque arm would replace the stock and that may come off as hacking my poor ole car....

Do you have to whine every time someone shows a little bit of criticism? Seriously dude...every time someone doesn't agree with your idea you whine like a ****ing 5yr that just had a piece of candy stolen.

I'll take your word for it about your car being more than an average street car..I saw your trap speed and I guess it's all in the driver.

I was just trying to show some respectable criticism...like I said, to each their own...it just seems like you're making more work for yourself. Sorry for trying to help and provide a different point of view.

BTW, adding a supercharger isn't hacking up a car like your IM said...nice try though. You might want to try the driver mod before adding any more power mods to your car.

...and WTF....your original response to my post isn't showing up...I think the board ate it, lol.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)

Last edited by Frosty; 06-08-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #40
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:

IDK still thinking of a few different options...

how about one of these?????

Old 06-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #41
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
how about one of these?????

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 06-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #42
LTb1ow

nah I deleted it, dunno why your getting all hissy. I tried to IM you instead of arguing on this thread...

Ah well. I am open to ideas, but I just don't understand your point.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #43
Frosty

Fair enough.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #44
LTb1ow

But you still need to explain to me how an X pipe would be hacking up my car any more than a regular catback...lol
Old 06-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #45
NastyEllEssWon

dumps on the street are gonna be rough. is your car lowered?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #46
LTb1ow

Nope.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:24 AM   #47
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

its an lt1, we gotta at least try to make them look cool
Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #48
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
But you still need to explain to me how an X pipe would be hacking up my car any more than a regular catback...lol
I know you aren't looking for a lecture, so just skip this is you want. But I'm having Wayfast flashbacks over here.

What you should do is stick to a critical path with your car. Fix what's messed up and needs to be addressed FIRST before you go solving problems you don't have, or modding something (that gives no real "gain") that creates more problems you don't need.

If you NEED an exhaust system and don't mind getting hassled by the 'man (keep in mind, this is going to be pretty loud) go ahead and do it. I've heard the summit x-pipes are pretty decent. Keep in mind that this exhaust will not be legal for reasons Justin mentioned.

If you don't NEED an exhaust system, save the cash or put it towards some other flaw with the car that keeps it from knocking down the times it should.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 06-09-2009 at 08:34 AM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #49
Slow Z
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I know you aren't looking for a lecture, so just skip this is you want. But I'm having Wayfast flashbacks over here.

What you should do is stick to a critical path with your car. Fix what's messed up and needs to be addressed FIRST before you go solving problems you don't have, or modding something (that gives no real "gain") that creates more problems you don't need.

If you NEED an exhaust system and don't mind getting hassled by the 'man (keep in mind, this is going to be pretty loud) go ahead and do it. I've heard the summit x-pipes are pretty decent. Keep in mind that this exhaust will not be legal for reasons Justin mentioned.

If you don't NEED an exhaust system, save the cash or put it towards some other flaw with the car that keeps it from knocking down the times it should.
Precisely. It's your car and money so do what you want but if you want to be louder then add horsepower not bigger exhaust. Big pipes on a mildly modified motor will do nothing but make noise - If that's what you want then go ahead but in reality you just come off as obnoxious. Any quality single 3" catback will flow enough to make serious HP... Once again, look at my car for proof of this.

Loud but slow =
Quiet but fast =
Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #50
Frosty

Quote:
I shouldn't have used the word hack since I don't mean "OMG look at the crap work that shop did, what hack work".

What I mean is you're making the car less and less streetable. Now if that's your thing, cool. I'm telling you now a LT1 with true duals and dumps is going to be insanely loud....are you sure you're going to be able to deal with it? It might be "cool" for the first few months but what if you grow tired of it? What will you neighbors think? Will the cops harass you in your town? What if you lose some ground clearance, now suddenly your grimacing every time you come up to a big speed bump or a steep driveway? These are all things to think about...I'm by no means an expert on your car since most of your mods are top secret CIA classified info but regardless....is everything else on the car 100%? Is it running the best it possibly can?

Like I've said, along with others, it's your car and your $$ so by all means spend it how you see fit but I'd hate to see you go through all of the trouble of doing an exhaust like that then hating it a few months later because it's causing more aggravation than it's worth.

I don't remember every post in this thread so I'm not sure if it's been recommended or ruled out but have you considered a cutout?

Last edited by Frosty; 06-09-2009 at 09:44 AM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning