Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
transmaro93

first fire 383 lt1 issues.... idleing mostely

well tried to fire my car today for the first time since the rebuild.... had some trouble getting it going at first but giving it some gas while cranking got her going... but she wont idle very well... after it runs for a few it starts to idle but only at like 500 rpm (pcmforless tune is sopposed to be set around 900) we adjusted the TPS sensor and got it around .65 i think .67 is desired... i mean everything is new on this car as far as engine goes.... its running on ltcc also... but if i hold the idle with the throttle it holds... runs a little rough but its my first cammed car so this might be normal.... anybody have any imput on the subject... could it just be the pcm has to learn and run for a while... is there somthing else that im not doing... thanks for any help... ask questions is needed...
Old 11-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

First off, I want to say my car started on first crank.

Start on basics, you have fuel, air and spark? Did you adjust rockers or did the shop?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

double check you got the firing order with the LTCC right? I'm not sure how it works cause I never messed with it.

Just go over all the simple stuff very well, first

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
transmaro93

yea i mean its deff getting fuel because you can smell it.... its got spark... i didnt check spark to all wires but it doesnt seem like its missing (hard to tell with the cam)... i have ltcc hooked up good becuase it runs and i hooked the coils up inthe correct locations according to the numbers on the harness... and it was used, and the original owner claimed it worked fine (he went ls1 and sold alot of parts off his car)...its either missfiring... or its some kind of sensor or elec problem... adam and I think maybe the IAC has to be reset... oh and matt... your car doesnt have a 1/4 of the crap done that my car does and everything in this set up is brand new... getting it all to work together may take some time... and they adjust the rockers not I... you know that
Old 11-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
HeadlessNorseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmaro93 View Post
yea i mean its deff getting fuel because you can smell it.... its got spark... i didnt check spark to all wires but it doesnt seem like its missing (hard to tell with the cam)... i have ltcc hooked up good becuase it runs and i hooked the coils up inthe correct locations according to the numbers on the harness... and it was used, and the original owner claimed it worked fine (he went ls1 and sold alot of parts off his car)...its either missfiring... or its some kind of sensor or elec problem... adam and I think maybe the IAC has to be reset... oh and matt... your car doesnt have a 1/4 of the crap done that my car does and everything in this set up is brand new... getting it all to work together may take some time... and they adjust the rockers not I... you know that
Owned!!

Just kidding.

make a video, that always helps. I want to hear it too haha

Edit: keep your sing as "and some other bolt ons"

JSFBOA

Draino?

Last edited by HeadlessNorseman; 11-21-2009 at 07:46 PM.
HeadlessNorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Watch it run in the dark and maybe you'll see a spark jumping off a cylinder somewhere. It could be running on 7 cylinders if something like a spark plug was damaged or cracked during installation. Recheck all your wire connections, it sounds similar to the problem I was just having with my SS. If the coolant sensor is sending bad information the computer will really struggle to keep it running. Maybe a bad ground somehwhere as well. Did you reconnect all the ground straps?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Featherburner

Did you do the drill mod on the throttle body?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
transmaro93

yea only had one ground "strap" and 99% sure all others are connectected... well funny is first time it fired adam saw a huge arc back by cyl7... it never did it again after that... i said was a backfire or flame out of the open headers he said no deff arc... but im gonna check from good spark to every plug tomarrow and see what i come up with... it started getting cold out and to late to start it open headers anyway... i replaced both temp sensors... what drill mod?? people that drill into the blades of the body?? dont think i wanna try that just yet hahah... its gotta be a problem somehwere else....

Last edited by transmaro93; 11-21-2009 at 08:00 PM.
transmaro93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
LTb1ow

I know you prob don't wanna hear this... but any chance you could swap on a coil and regular wires just to verify its not the LTCC?
Old 11-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

What is your fuel pressure set at? Im sure you have a adjustable regulator but the car may be getting too much or little fuel. Pull a couple plugs to see how they look/smell. Check for good connections with your spark plug wires. Spark gap OK? Fuel filter also good?

Just a few ideas to start with.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
transmaro93

im still on stock FPR... i didnt see any reason to go with an adjustable... im gonna verify spark to all plugs first then maybe i will pull a few to see what they look like... gap should be set at 35... i didnt set them they wanted to put plugs in just to cover up the holes... and filter is what was in the car, but it didnt need to be replaced yet... but i planned on replacing that when i did the pump... i wonder if its becuase im on stock fuel pump? i thought it would be able to at least idle on that... ohh and matt technically i could put regular wires on it because the opti is still there but then id have to buy more wires and reconnect the icm and coil and stuff... worst case scenerio i do that before i pull the opti to see if it was installed correctly...
Old 11-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
transmaro93

anybody want to chime in on this... i have o2 sims in the rear o2 harness... but the pcm was tuned for no cats... maybe the tune plus the o2 sims are leaning the system out??
Old 11-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
LTb1ow

Rear 02s should only be for code throwing, AFAIK no PCM corrections are made off of them.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #14
transmaro93

^^ got ya... thanks... starts right up now... but doesnt idle well... and i smell an awful lot of fuel... and dont think the evap is purging... may hav ea dead cyl... going to check for spark now... maybe a coil is bad or somthing...checked all groudns including coil grounds...
Old 11-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

rear o2's are only to watch for the cat to be working. pulling plugs is a good idea.

couple things i noticed is that it runs pretty good in the upper rpms and reading the data stream, it said the desired idle was 3188?

also, with the 58mm throttle body, does the IAC valve have to be reset?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
transmaro93

i did the iac reset and it didnt do much... i just got it to idle outside around 750 for a while... but then dropped to 500 and eventually died... anybody think the gas can be bad... last fresh gas to be added was in july of this year... i put a bottle of dry gas in before i tried to start it... i dont know enough about gas to say if its bad or not... if so ill pull the line and hotwire the pump to drain it... i have spark to all cyl so ltcc is working... hey matt where is that fuel pump hot lead that you were using as a temp fix??

Last edited by transmaro93; 11-22-2009 at 11:21 AM.
transmaro93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
transmaro93

there is a little single wire connector poking out the harness only like and inch of wire showing... its a red 14 gauge (id say) wire... its comming out of the harness back by the pcm... is that the fuel pump hot lead... can i just connect that to a battery and let her rip into a bucket??
Old 11-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

on matts, it was a single small gray wire by the pcm tucked in the loom some. its just forcing the relay closed.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
transmaro93

yea i have a little connecter there... its saying in my haynes manual that off the relay there is a red wire for "fuel prime lead" im guessing thats it.. no? and i can just hook that strait up to 12v source right because the pump has a fuse in it already no? or you think i should just get 5 gallons of new stuff and dump it inthere... keep in mind i still have to drop my tank..
Old 11-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #20
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmaro93 View Post
what drill mod?? people that drill into the blades of the body?? dont think i wanna try that just yet hahah... its gotta be a problem somehwere else....
No, I'm not talking about drilling in the blades. I'm talking about this...
http://members.cox.net/chipsbyal/page/idle/index.html
http://members.cox.net/chipsbyal/page/idle/tbi.htm
Old 11-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #21
transmaro93

hmm interesting... this is the first im hearing about this... deff somthing to consider... im not sure what mine looks like...
Old 11-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #22
LTb1ow

Could be gas, but if it is running smoothly (is it?) at higher rpms then I don't think thats your problem.

I would def make sure all the **** you added to that poor engine to make your life a nightmare works. All the coils work, etc etc.

And if you have the hot wire kit hooked up, just skip the stock relay and switch on the hotwire relay yourself. Same end result.

Did you throw on the intake? Sure of no vacuum leaks etc?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #23
transmaro93

ok iv decided im going to scrap it for today... (at least it sorta runs haha).... im going to drain the gas tomorrow after work and fill it up and try again on Tuesday...all weather pending... still looking for an answer on that fuel lead though... i might just jump it and cross my fingers ahah.... ohh and adam.... i didnt have any blown fuses.... i think that lsd that you took before headen over my way started kicking in during first fire.... hahah
Old 11-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #24
transmaro93

yea im pretty sure no vacuum leaks but ill check those again.... it runs somewhat smoother at like 2000+ but still not asmuch as i think it should... again first cammed car so its all new to me..
Old 11-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
LTb1ow

Yea when I started mine on open headers the cam shone through pretty well. Sounded like it wanted to die every time.

Also, when I did mine, I had removed AIR/EGR and had an open 1/4 plug on the intake that was hidden. Drove me crazy cause the car would wanna die at idle, and then I found it.

Just be dead certain its not something stupid. And I know you don't wanna hear it... but too tight rockers will cause hard starts and crappy idling... may wanna check that. And yea that is just forcing the stock fuel pump relay to switch on, no big deal.

EVAP should not affect your idle I would think.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning