Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
foxriderry

Motorcycle training?

So i know alot of people on here have bikes, and i have an 09 R6 as well. This is my second season of riding, and im still not as confident in my turns and handling as i want to be. Therefore, i am looking for an instructor, or a school that can help me learn how to be a better more confident rider. I live in north jersey, and have looked into the riding academy. Unfortunately their courses are more focused on the BRC which i have already taken. I guess im looking for something at a track, this way i can learn how to ride more aggressive in an all around safer environment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2002 Camaro SS H/C/I 9" 413/398 [Lola]
2016 Dodge Durango [Kat]
2007 Honda CRF-80 [Little Toni]
2014 Ducati 1199 Panigale R [Luci]
foxriderry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

If you are seeking confidence when riding on the street I would suggest laying off anything track related for now. Get miles under your belt. In reality, even though the courses are focused on licensing, they are a great way to reenforce the basics and help you break any bad habits you may have. Completing a rider safety type course will also greatly reduce your insurance.

Once you have the confidence on the street then it is time to step up to the track. NJMP runs a Yamaha racing school, http://www.njmp.com/yamaha-champions-riding-school/ , and I am sure the other tracks around the region have similar programs.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
foxriderry

I should probably specify, im not interested in racing at the track, atleast not at the moment, i am however interested in expanding my riding abilities in a safe environment. Thats why i mentioned the track. Alot of the schools i looked at have "riding ranges". I rode at a brc (basic riders course) in nc that had one, and it was little more than a parking lot. I really need more confidence in navigating higher speed corners, like twisty roads, and im not sure those ranges will be able to offer me what im looking for. Either way thanks for the advice and ill certainly look into it.

2016 Dodge Durango [Kat]
Old 05-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Almost all of the companies that offer basic riding/licensing classes also have more advanced classes. Other than that the best thing you can do is just get mileage under your belt. Nothing will bring up your comfort level like old fashioned seat time.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
TaKid455

Also go out with other experienced riders and follow their lead. This can be a double edge sword so you have to pick the riders and know your limits. I gain a lot that way but was lucky enough to have fellow riders that knew my experience level at the time and helped me along the way.

Also, find few roads and or paths/ routes and learn them. As you become more confident in the road, you will focus more on your skills. Depending on your location, finding a nice road w/o traffic mat be another issue. Sussex, warren and bordering states all have such roads.

12 yrs and almost 50k bike miles under my belt, there always something to learn.
TaKid455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
foxriderry

thanks for the advice, and i try to get as much seat time as possible, last night i went riding with some friends up route 23, and they were killing it, I, on the other hand, was not. If anyone ever wants to go for a ride though, im down.

2016 Dodge Durango [Kat]
Old 05-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
Featherburner

http://www.msf-usa.org/Default.aspxPut in your zip and sign up for an advanced rider course.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Foxriderry, I'm surprised you didn't do the ARC in the Marines. I did it at Pendleton and it was a nice refresher. I've done track days with TrackDaz in California, and my first time I signed up for their class package as well as track time and it helped me iron out a lot of kinks, but this was already after 7+ years of street riding and lots of bad habits.

I think riding here in New Jersey is a lot different, the drivers and the roads are in worse condition and I know it changes the way I ride compared to when I was living in San Diego! The best way to build your street confidence is to honestly get out on the road, get with some seasoned riders, and follow a competent rider (something that is hard to find around here), I watched a lot of Moto GP, British GP and Irish road racing for the longest time and watched their movements.

The first step is getting away from the madness of 20/21/46/208 and getting across the border! Let me know if you'd like to go riding someday, I go just about every weekend up to Greenwood Lake from Hawthorne.

Last edited by ar0ck; 05-14-2015 at 04:03 PM.
ar0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:00 AM   #9
foxriderry

Hey Arock, i was hoping you would weigh in on this. Unfortunately i couldn't take the ARC while i was in because i had taken the BRC1 just before i got out, and i didn't have my own bike at the time. I wish i could have, and i thought about going down to McGuire or somewhere to see if I could hook up in the course for free, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Yeah I've looked around in the semi immediate area, and could only find a few schools offering the Experienced Rider Course, and the ARC, but they have 0 classes scheduled much like the other places i looked at, plenty of BRC1 training though. Anyway, I would love to ride with you sometime, and i try to ride every weekend usually up 23 or just around town, so ill pm you my number, and we can try to get together. I live in clifton, so i think were pretty close, and i was thinking of going on sunday, if your free. Thanks again for all the help everyone.

2016 Dodge Durango [Kat]
Old 05-24-2015, 10:28 PM   #10
98RedRocket

I would check into the motorcycle training course that is done at Fairleigh Dickensen in Teaneck, I hear the have courses for various levels. Not just a BRC in a parking lot.

1998 Pontiac Trans Am

"I can't fix stupid, only broken"
98RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #11
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

They have an advanced riding course (which is above BRC). I thought about taking it myself. If you want more confidence, you need to ride with friends (who dont ride crazy).
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

I'm actually planning on riding to the Chatterbox this weekend taking the back roads at a leisurely pace. I tried to get out riding this weekend, but everyone still has a billion projects going on every weekend.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
ThoR294

I wanted to ride to chatterbox as well (was going to go 2 up as well lol), but my cousin is bringing his father's vega to the flemington car show (his father passed away a few months ago) so I am going to go to to that instead.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #14
foxriderry

Arock if you ride this coming weekend let me know, ill tag along for sure, i was down in lbi this weekend, so i didnt ride too much

2016 Dodge Durango [Kat]
Old 05-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #15
ThoR294

where do you live? I usually try to ride every weekend

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge