Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
sekret agent

Question A more powerful alternator?

my car starts strong in the morning but throughout the day, the more i drive it, the more of a pain in the ass it is to start. also i have a radar detector that needs 11.9v to operate and after it is plugged in it lasts for about 10 minutes then turns off. I have no idea what could be wrong but i got the alternator checked and the tests said it was still good. any ideas?
1998 z28 with a 2001 ls1,custom 3726R/3728R cam,JS performance p&p heads,ported TB,ls6 intake,slp air lid and TB elbow,160' t stat,slp long tube headers,slp y pipe,bassani true duals,performa built stage 2 4l60e trans,yank 3600 stall converter,10 bolt with 4:10s and moser axles,slp diamond sub frame connectors,spohn sway bar set,eibach drag launch springs
sekret agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

well, the starting issue could easily be from a heat-soaked starter. When they get very warm (like they tend to do while sitting next to a running engine all day) they tend to not perform as well. They make heat shields and wraps that you can use to help with that.

What kind of shape is the battery in?

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
sekret agent

the battery is brand new. how do i tell if the starter is getting heat soaked?
1998 z28 with a 2001 ls1,custom 3726R/3728R cam,JS performance p&p heads,ported TB,ls6 intake,slp air lid and TB elbow,160' t stat,slp long tube headers,slp y pipe,bassani true duals,performa built stage 2 4l60e trans,yank 3600 stall converter,10 bolt with 4:10s and moser axles,slp diamond sub frame connectors,spohn sway bar set,eibach drag launch springs
sekret agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
V
Stalker

i suggest looking at wiring and connections for corrosion
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
S.J.SLEEPER

common problem is the battery leads.... corrosion between the throughbolt to metal eylet. pull terminals off check for corrosion at mating surfaces, then pry the throughbolt out of its plastic sheath
and see if it has corrosion where those 2 mating surfaces is. i must have had a 100 gm cars come in for this problem. would take a 5/16 wrench, flat screwdriver & wirebrush out to parking lot. never bother to even pul the car in the shop.

corroded/or bad connections will cause low or no charging of the battery. just to make it clear.
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 AM   #6
NastyEllEssWon

they do make high powered alternators. theyre quite sizably larger than the stock small one. you're gonna have to drop the sway bar a small bit to get it in there, but other than that its just straight forward replacement
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
TheBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
they do make high powered alternators. theyre quite sizably larger than the stock small one. you're gonna have to drop the sway bar a small bit to get it in there, but other than that its just straight forward replacement
Before replacing the alt. i would do the wires. I'm not sure what the stock wire size is but i would do the Big 3. Change all the wires with 0 guage.
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring