Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
V
Stalker

custom seat covers/upholstery?

I have the back upper section from a 3rd gen that I need recovered.
They are the split back style, so two parts. (Bottoms are good)

As far as I know, the seat covers are NOT made aftermarket(fabric)
I want the same style upholstery, but just new and in a different color.
The old covers are is good enough shape that they could be used as a pattern.

I'm guessing the basic run of the mill shop will not be able to do this for me.
Anyone know of a larger or more capable shop that would be able and willing to do this?

Oh, let me also add, I CAN get a full set of new upholstery to fit ALL the seats, hampton vinyl, for 500, or leather for 1000. But I have no desire or reason to change from cloth as of just yet.

Last edited by V; 06-13-2013 at 11:52 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

I thought you could get the ACME seat covers in cloth? I don't think it is the same fabric though.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I thought you could get the ACME seat covers in cloth? I don't think it is the same fabric though.
It seems for the basic rear seats you can possibly.
And yes, they state the fabric is not an exact match.

The rest of the seats are perfect so I don't wanna change them, but the back seat upper I have is tan, rest is medium dark grey.

and yea, the rears are pretty rare oem seats.. not standard ones. Hence the problem finding fabric.
You might be one of the few people who actually has these seats and knows about them, lol.

I just emailed Acme to see if they can help. They offer leather and vinyl for my seats too, but no fabric, maybe they can make them though. I'll change the bottoms too if I need to match them, but hopefully they'll be close enough that the OEM front and new rears wouldn't look too off.

Last edited by V; 06-13-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
You might be one of the few people who actually has these seats and knows about them, lol.
Ahh, got it, You have Notchback/TTA rear uppers. I think you would have difficultly getting what you want here. I think you need Pallex (?) cloth to match. I would also say that unless the seats never saw the sun you would want to get the uppers and lowers re-covered so they match 100%. If you only have the uppers re-covered you're going to notice the change in dye, but I think front-to-back will be less noticeable.

I would start by just looking for the fabric, I doubt ACME is going to be able to help you now that I know what you're doing, though I am pretty sure they make the rear upper covers for the Notchback/TTA seats in the vinyl or leather. I don't care about originality so I was just going to get their current offerings.

Let me know how you make out with this all. I have been thinking of getting cloth covers for my seats. I dont want to spend the $$$$$ on leather and the leather and vinyl both get HOT in the sun. If it helps, maybe you can get a break on two sets of seats

Last edited by PolarBear; 06-13-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
WSex

look up brians thread of the upholterer he used.
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I would also say that unless the seats never saw the sun you would want to get the uppers and lowers re-covered so they match 100%.
These are the original seats, and they honestly look like the car was garage kept, so I'm not too concerned with previous fading, but yes, I have realized I may need to swap out the bottoms too just to have them match.

I had even though about trying to get another nice set of grey seats(to source fabric from) and having the stock seat covers cut and the headrest put in with oem material, using the tan seat cover as a pattern. But that would be my last resort.(for example, the front seat thigh under piece might be close in size to the rear headrest)

Since leather and vinyl seat upholstery are available, they have the patterns and I cant see why they couldnt make them in fabric instead. For an extra one-off fee obviously. Whatever I find out or go with, I'll let ya know.

Last edited by V; 06-13-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
look up brians thread of the upholterer he used.
I did, he said if he was to do it again, he'd go elsewhere.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

PUI doesn't make them? I've seen a lot of 3rd gen covers in the big part sites catalogs

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
PUI doesn't make them? I've seen a lot of 3rd gen covers in the big part sites catalogs

Possibly for the basic seats.

This is a pic of the optional seats,(pic is leather but they came cloth too in '88) these are oem seats, The style was only in 718 1988's and 1,55x 1989 cars.(89's were the TTA cars)
All covers I have found made to fit these are 500-1600 a set and real leather or hampton vinyl. No cloth.

Last edited by V; 06-13-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
V
Stalker

update: Just got a response from ACME, they said they are willing to sell the seat upholstery as just front or just rears and also make them out of whatever material I chose. The only thing is that they don't sell directly to the public, so I just need to find a vendor and have my order placed through them and thatll be easy enough.

Next week, i'll find a vendor and place my order for rear upper and lower seat set in grey fabric, whatever comes closest to factory.

For the bottom, I'll recover another set of seat cushions I have so that I don't have to pull apart my mint current seats.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
PolarBear

Cool beans
Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
V
Stalker

Now I just gotta figure out which color matches factory the closest.(medium dark grey)

I think I need to order "silver, encore velour".
http://home.comcast.net/~kerryismygirl89/seatcovers.htm

Last edited by V; 06-14-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:50 AM   #13
WSex

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I did, he said if he was to do it again, he'd go elsewhere.
look at the pics and info posted on that thread.
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
look at the pics and info posted on that thread.
I'm not sure I'm looking at the right thread. The one I read had nothing significant to my issue. Maybe a link to said thread ?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance