Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
84HOtransam
13 Second Club

upgrade from NWC T5 to ?

Has anyone put a tremec in their car, what parts and costs are associated with this conversion..

Upgrade the T-5 with Halon kit (Worth my time on the NWC)? whats is cost?

What is the difference between the non WC and WC transmissions..

This is all for an 84 ta that has a nwc t5 in there now..
84HOtransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Phil has a TKO in his 3rd gen. //86 ta\\ or something like that,lol

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

tremec what? tremec makes t5's, t56's, tko's.

Is the car stock? if so the wct5 will work just fine so long as you use the clutch and dont shift at high rpms.
Maybe swap out the stock mechanical clutch setup for a hydraulic one while you in there.

dont bother upgrading the t5. The weakness is the case and no set of gears will fix that, besides, the gears usually run almost 1500 bux, then when the case breaks, the gears shred and your still screwed, and out $$$$
Quoted from "sofakingdom" on TGO, because its on topic and i found it humorous,

I've heard all sorts of things about "stronger gears" and all that, from any number of sources. Thing is, I've got a shelf full of T-5s with wasted cases, that EAT any gears I can put in them. Because it's not the GEARS that are the root cause of failure, it's THE CASE. Until you strengthen the CASE, you could put in gears forged in the fiery furnaces of Hell by 10,000-year-old gnomes from an alloy of purest virgin nonobtanium with just enough irreplacium added to make them one-of-a-kind, and the case will STILL stretch and allow those gears to misaligne and they'll tear up. Frankly I wouldn't spend another dime on trying to make a T-5 survive behind some power. Oh wait.... I don't have to, I finally woke up and got a clue and swapped in something else; specifically, a T-56

As for parts, the tko and the t56 require similar things, an after market crossmember or crossmember mounted torque arm, some wiring, ect.

The t56 can be found cheaper used, from a 93-97 f-body preferably, sometimes under 500 in good working order. It uses the stock driveshaft yoke, length, and shifter position. It obviously a 6 speed and they are rated at 450 ft/lbs stock. With good parts finds, it can be done for a little over a grand if you are lucky.

The tko 5 speeds are nice too, but they need a couple more parts. You need a trans, built specifically for a 3rd gen, it has a longer input shaft because you also need an adapter plate to bolt it to your bellhousing. You need a different trans yoke, c6 ford. Driveshaft length is the same. The trans has a very notchy, positive feeling, shift, no guessing if you are in gear or not like the sometimes sloppy t56. The tko also places the shifter about 2" farther forward that the t5, so you need a shifter handle that is swept back, or an offset shifter.
The biggest issues with the tko is price, they are hard to find used, and new, it will cost you about 2500bux, that only includes the trans, adapter, yoke, wiring pigtails, oil and shifter. You still need the crossmember.
The trans is available from FortesPartsConnection, they have pretty much everything you need and can get you all setup, you just need to take care of the crossmember bit. If you go this route, call them and talk, they were very helpful when i ordered mine.

Also, something to think about. I dont know about the t56, but with the TKo, you apparently are not supposed to shift the trans above 6500 rpms, i dont know why, ive never tried. SO if you have a powerband that goes up high than that maybe do some more research. Also i hear that they cannot be powershifted, again, havent tried, and i dont know why.

I have a tko600,i really like it and have had no issues with it.

Check out Thirdgen.org for more info, this has all been covered there before, and the t56 installation has a sticky in the trans fourm that is quite insightful.

-Phil

Last edited by //<86TA>\\; 12-08-2008 at 06:16 PM.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

PM Bob Hanlon, his name is BANGIN BOB on this board I am sure he would be able to steer you in the right direction.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

another one for not bothering upgrading the T5 unless the case is different....check out Gforce if youre looking into a new manual trans, cheaper than a TKO usually and dont have the shifting problems...heard a lot about them on mustang boards but im pretty sure they do all kinds of cars. http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

be wary of the g-force t5, I heard very few good words about them, and for the money, over 2k for a upgraded case model, you can do better without the worries.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline