Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-03-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
PBodyGT87
Hot Liz, Cold Beer

WISDOM TEETH

I just got back from the denstist, and i have to get my wisdom teeth pulled cuz they are mean. so sometime, i have to make an appointment with an oral surgeon.

so my question is, or questions are, Have you had your wisdom teeth pulled out? Was it painful? Did they put you to sleep or novacaine you? Was your face suffering from Chipmunk's disorder afterwards? Do tell.

Also: 1974 Honda CB550/four. Ah, the OPEN-open road.
99 Saturn SW1. Flaunting a fender "blemish" (large gaping hole) thanks to a hit a run. Never caught the guy. Permanent Driveway Status at Justin's.
PBodyGT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
skorpion317

i had all 4 taken out.

I was knocked out for it. It's not like falling asleep...when i woke up, i thought that they hadn't done the procedure yet. I was all groggy, and i was drooling.

It wasn't painful, because they had quite a bit of novocaine on the area, but they bled like hell. I had a lot of gauze stuffed in my mouth to stop the bleeding. They didn't stop for a couple days.

You can't eat ANY solid foods. Otherwise, the food particles will get stuck in the holes. Your best bets are probably tomato soup, apple sauce, etc. The surgeon gave me a small syringe-type thing that could be filled with water, and used to dislodge any food that got stuck in the holes.

They close up somewhat quickly, but you have to be careful not to dislodge the stitches. Again, that means no solid food.
skorpion317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:31 PM   #3
skorpion317

I got lucky, too, since all 4 of my teeth had come through the gums. Only one was at a weird angle. The surgeon had to crack the tooth in half, and take the pieces out. the other ones, he was just able to pull out. You're probably squirming right now, but you'll be knocked out during the process so you have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
ShitOnWheels

Liz, you don't wanna hear my story. But since you asked, I'm tellin it anyways.

I got my wisdoms pulled on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving 3 years ago. Mistake #1. I did that because it provided the least amount of missed time from work. It meant no turkey, just mashed potatoes. No biggie, I LOVE mashed potatoes. Mom made extra just for me.

Anyways, the actual surgery was weird. I was knocked out, but I can remember feeling a lot of pressure. No pain, just pressure...and cracking. When I woke up I couldn't feel my lips, but I could feel the drool on my chin. Freacky feeling. My mom said I was sayin all this weird **** and couldn't talk right at all (who can talk with their mouth numb and full of guaze?). I took advantage of the pain meds (percs cause I'm allergic to codeine). I ate babyfood (plums with apples are my fav, I still buy some every now and then ) for the next couple of days. I was fine that night and the next, but come Thursday night I was done.

After eating a ton of mashed potatoes, I ended up throwing it all up...not once, not twice, but thrice. Of course my dad thought I took too much and was trying to kill myself (I had a suicidal history). I think the docs gave me something else for pain after that, I can't remember. But anyways. I ended up losing 5 pounds and feeling like crap the rest of the weekend.

My gums were stiched to the insides of my cheecks, so I couldn't smile for 2 weeks (at least not as large of a smile as I usually do when laughing), couldn't open my mouth to get anything more than a spoon in, had trouble talking, and I bruised pretty bad. And yes I was quite swollen as well.

I had other problems but that was with money and insurance and ****.

It's worth getting them done, but for some people it isn't a pretty sight. I didn't have dry sockets (where the clots come out of the sockets), so I got lucky there. They should tell you all the risks before hand so you know what the hell is going on. I'm sure you'll be fine. You probably take pain much better than I do
ShitOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:00 PM   #5
bluebird94

i got a tooth pulled one time, it sucked becuase the roots went in opposing directions so after they pulled it out half way, they had to drill the tooth to break in half so the two sides would come out easier, i couldnt taste anything but blood for a few days lol...its not fun

hmmm my brother got it done while he was in high school, and they put him to sleep to do it, he was sick from the meds for about a week or so and couldnt eat solids for awhile...he got to eat icecream and pudding all the time

but uhm good luck lol
bluebird94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
TheWraith

i got all 4 of mine pulled at once about 2 years ago. I dropped a ratchet on my face working under my car and I shattered one of them and it needed to be pulled asap and they figured it was easiest to just do all 4 at once. they put me out for it. the pain wasn't really bad for me, but my face was swollen for a couple days bad and you really can't eat solid food for several days. The first day I bled a lot. I had it done on a tuesday and i was 90% back to normal on friday.

I'll also be honest too even though it's probably not the type of **** you want to hear. It took about 6 months or a year until my mouth felt totally normal again. **** just didn't feel right and i think he might have smacked a nerve when he was in there because i had this weird numbness on and off for a few months in my gums on the lower left side of my mouth. It did go away though. Also since I had it done my teeth have spaced themselves out a little bit and i'm really prone to cavities now on the edges of teeth because **** gets caught between teeth where it wouldn't fit before. I've had two that had to be filled since then in the last two years, and I had one or two cavities before in my life to that point in the previous 24 years. I also have this weird sharp spot on the 4th tooth in on the bottom left side of my mouth because the 4th and 5th tooth used to be right on top of each other to the point where the 4th tooth kind of has a ridge in it from shaping to the 5th tooth. Well once they spaced out, that left a spot that feels sharp on the back of the 4th tooth.
TheWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
matt98ls1

most of these guys summed up the side effects and aftermath, but to be honest, each person handles pain in a different way. Â* Â*I know a few people who went out that night after having their wisdom teeh pulled, and had just minimal swelling of their cheeks.

Me, on the other hand, I had a face like a fat cartoon character for about a week. Â*My cheeks were ungodly huge and it hurt like hell....I had all 4 removed since they were impacted, and that was not fun. Â* Just make sure you have tons of jello/apple sauce handy afterwards, because thats about the extent of what you can eat. Â* Â* Also, make sure you have a bunch of good movies handy, because after the medication, you wont want to get out bed (some heavy pain killers). Â* Â* I watched SuperTroopers about 10 times over the course of 3 days Â*

Unless you can really take pain, or would be able to watch them do it....make sure they put you to sleep for this. Let's just say it isnt a pretty sight, and that would be a long 2hours

Good Luck though Â* 8)
matt98ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:25 PM   #8
BigAls87Z28

Ouch...not good.
Mine came in just fine, with no problems. Deffinatly go to sleep...sleeeeeeeeep...
Old 12-03-2004, 09:53 PM   #9
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

wow hearing about you guys having all 4 done at the same time that sux...my wife had one of hers removed about a year ago...i remember she was in pain and hasnt gotten the other ones removed because of it...they havent given her any trouble since so shes hoping everything is cool...mine act up now and again but as long as its not ****ing something up id rather leave them..and my dentist(same as my wife's) agrees to just leave them as long as its a minor occurance.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:15 PM   #10
79dizZy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by foff667
..and my dentist(same as my wife's) agrees to just leave them as long as its a minor occurance.
thats what i'm doing. my dentist suggested i have them taken out back in september. but with school around the corner i didn't wanna miss any of the first week. since my dentist said it should be alright as long as it doesn't bother me, they're stayin in there for a while :P
79dizZy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:02 AM   #11
JPiZZiJP

I had mine taken out when I was 17... during the first week of my senior year. I stayed awake for the whole procedure which was interesting... everyone says I'm nuts, but I don't see why it was such a big deal. It didn't hurt... but because the teeth were impacted they had to cut into the gums, and then use a drill, and then a chisel/pick-like thing to crack the teeth while they were still impacted. Then they were pulled out.

Like someone on the board said... everyone reacts differently;

I was swollen for about a week. My nickname in high school that week was Simon (the nerdy chipmunk, cause I was in all the honors classes lol). I couldn't eat any solids... had to stick to applesauce, milkshakes, baby food (I highly recommend peach baby food if you like peaches , mashed potatoes and soups.

However, my best friend, when he got his done... I made a $100 bet with him that he'd swell up... he was asleep for his. Later that night we had plans to go out to dinner with his parents... he looked fine and I'm like "haha I won the bet!" and he pulls out a little baggie with his 4 wisdom teeth. Oh also, we went out to eat at Lonestar Steakhouse... so the solids were no problem for him either.

So yeah... all depends on how you react to it all... best of luck.

~Joe
JPiZZiJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:59 AM   #12
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Why do the wisdom teeth need to come out? I have all of mine still and 2 of them are completely misaligned with the rest of the teeth. Over time they ended up settling together and line up with each other. I don't understand why dentists and doctors insist on doing work that probably isn't needed. It's all about getting $$ from you or your insurance company. But from what I've seen from people who had them taken out, you will have several bad days afterward.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:44 AM   #13
1RawTA

I had mine taken out in september, all 4 of them and they where impacted.. i was awake, he used novicane and a nice dosage of n20, i felt nothin, but 2hrs after it i was in pain, i popped a pain killer and fell asleep, i woke up spit out some more blood and felt fine, i even ate some chinese food later that ngiht, i went back a week later to have my sticthes taken out, and i talked to my docoter, i was like why have i heard so many horror stories about getting them out, and mine where fine a day later, he said he uses some diffenert techniquoes so after the first few hours you feel fine, i guess its all about finding the right doctor to do the surgery. i have had freinds who where in pain for a few days, throwing up, and even bleeeding for a week
WWW.TTPERFORMANCE.NET
1RawTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:44 AM   #14
ProtekYoNutz

havent had my wisdom teeth pulled but i did however have SEVERAL others both with being knocked out and also awake....

if you get to choose...get knocked out because the sounds of the cruches, yanks, and pulls SUCKS!!

yeah everyone knows my car is a pos but thats ok...im still better than you!
ProtekYoNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:55 PM   #15
ShitOnWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
Why do the wisdom teeth need to come out? Â*I have all of mine still and 2 of them are completely misaligned with the rest of the teeth. Â*Over time they ended up settling together and line up with each other. Â*I don't understand why dentists and doctors insist on doing work that probably isn't needed. Â*It's all about getting $$ from you or your insurance company. Â*But from what I've seen from people who had them taken out, you will have several bad days afterward.
For me and my brother, we had braces, and the wisdoms will **** up the now straight teeth if you let them grow naturally and stay. I still have a retainer cemented in on the bottom teeth, and since those teeth couldn't move, the wisdoms couldn't come in right, making my mouth hurt every so often.

I think for the most part, this is the reason they get removed. I'm sure there are others that are legit, not just about the money.
ShitOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:55 PM   #16
Fasterthanyou

I had an experience similar to JPiZZiJP.
All 4 of my teeth were impacted, the top 2 were semi (45 degree angle).
I didn't go to a surgeon, I let my dentist do the work while I was awake. To tell you the truth, it wasn't all that bad and I hate blood!
The worst part was listening to him tell me, "now Jon, don't move or it might slip and break your jaw." That was kind of scary since my chin was in my chest and he was standing up, lol. I went home with some pain killers.
When the novocaine wore off I felt the pain, it hit HARD. It was about an hour since the surgery and I was trying to swollow pain killers but the blood and gauze was killing me. Then the narcs didn't kick in fast enough so for about 2 hours I was on the kitchen floor banging my head trying to take the pain away to another place. It worked okay but wow was I in pain.
I didn't swell up nearly as bad as my best friend who went to an oral surgeon and was knocked out. He was already short so when he answered the door my other friend and I just started cracking up.
All in all it isn't aweful but make certain they give you narcotics BEFORE the novacaine wears off. That was the only aweful thing about it. Oh, and don't have them stuff so much gauze in your mouth that you can't open it enough to change them out. That was also painful because I needed room for the pills to go down, lol.
Good luck and hope all goes well.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:06 PM   #17
12secondv6
Token v6 Guy

<--- still in my head... so I dunno

Take care!
Old 12-04-2004, 10:16 PM   #18
JPiZZiJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
Why do the wisdom teeth need to come out? Â*I have all of mine still and 2 of them are completely misaligned with the rest of the teeth. Â*Over time they ended up settling together and line up with each other. Â*I don't understand why dentists and doctors insist on doing work that probably isn't needed. Â*It's all about getting $$ from you or your insurance company. Â*But from what I've seen from people who had them taken out, you will have several bad days afterward.

A couple of reasons... one is that they're misaligned, and they put pressure on your other teeth, and that cause cause crookedness later in life... another is if they come in at an angle, they put tremendous pressure on your other teeth causing severe pain (this is why I had mine removed).

I'm sure there are other medical reasons, but these are the only two I know of offhand.

~Joe
JPiZZiJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:57 PM   #19
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

All 4 of mine came in perfect.

Yay!
Old 12-05-2004, 12:00 AM   #20
skorpion317

mine were pushing my bottom teeth out of alignment. also, they were putting too much pressure on my teeth and my jaws hurt a lot.

the main reason they get taken out though is because they screw up your teeth's alignment. Not everyone will get screwed up, just the ones who don't have enough space in their mouths for the extra teeth. Wisdom teeth are slowly becoming less common, as more and more people are born without them. Soon enough, humans will have evolved to have no wisdom teeth.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #21
SpeakersGoBoom

Wisdom teeth are stupid.
SpeakersGoBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:17 PM   #22
Pat

got mine taken out 2 years ago. don't remember anything about the procedure, but i would get a lot of pain in my jaw every night for over a week.

the worst part though is that you can't open your mouth very much for a while. just keep taking the medicine they give you, and stock up on movies because you won't be moving from the couch much.

oh, and don't even try to do anything normal for at least three days. you might think that you feel fine, but trying to do normal things (like, say build the box for your subs and amp that didn't ship to your house until the day after you got your wisdom teeth pulled) becuase although you feel fine at first, it will hit you like a ton of bricks later, and you'll be exhausted.

Sold: 1998 Trans Am
SLP Lid, Magnaflow Catback, Stock Hurst w/ JSS, BMR APHR, Chrome ZR1's

Currently Driving: 1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88
Parents bought it from my neighbor's father for $500
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:06 PM   #23
jims69camaro

i recently had all of my top teeth removed. the only part that hurt was the novacaine through the palate, but i don't suppose you'll have to suffer that. otherwise, modern dentistry is a dream. if you don't weather the general anesthetics well, i wouldn't get knocked out. don't know? go with a local. you really won't feel it like they used to do a few years ago.

not having anything to chew with, i still am not able to eat solid food, but i love chocolate ice cream. dry sockets are the worst (so i am told), but if you take care of the gauze situation you won't have a problem.

p.s. the generic name for Percocet is Oxycodone, which is codeine based.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:59 PM   #24
skorpion317

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro
i recently had all of my top teeth removed. Â*the only part that hurt was the novacaine through the palate, but i don't suppose you'll have to suffer that. Â*otherwise, modern dentistry is a dream. Â*if you don't weather the general anesthetics well, i wouldn't get knocked out. Â*don't know? Â*go with a local. Â*you really won't feel it like they used to do a few years ago.

not having anything to chew with, i still am not able to eat solid food, but i love chocolate ice cream. Â*dry sockets are the worst (so i am told), but if you take care of the gauze situation you won't have a problem. Â*

p.s. the generic name for Percocet is Oxycodone, which is codeine based.
like, ALL of your teeth on the upper jaw, or just the wisdom teeth?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge