Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-07-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
HardcoreZ28

Stock Tip

For anyone who's interested in the stock market....check out Sirius Radio (SIRI). It's up almost 400% in 3 months and is still growing in leaps and bounds.

I want to get into it so bad right now but can't afford the extra cash with the holidays and needing tires and exhaust for my truck! Damned money always an issue!

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
SpeakersGoBoom

how much is the stock currently? I may have to invest some in it, if the price isnt too high already. Does XM have stock? if so, what is it? and how much is it at?
SpeakersGoBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:02 PM   #3
skorpion317

Don Imus has been buying Sirius stock like crazy. Ever since Howard Stern announced that he was moving to Sirius, it's been growing.
skorpion317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
j0n

i may have to look into this as well
Old 12-07-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
TheWraith

sirius is a risk. They're throwing a lot of money that they really don't have banking on them being competitive with XM, and they really don't have the user base, competitive pricing, or comparable hardware to do it. They're getting way ahead of themselves in my opinion. I've already heard that Stern alone is going to need to at least double their amount of existing users just to pay his salary if the company is expected to be successful.

The stock will stabilize too, it's up primarily because of the big announcements of stern and mel karmazin, which are both recent. I highly doubt that it will continue growth, and it probably will sink again long term, at least until stern is on the air.

It's hard to say where things will be 2 years from now, but as of right now, XM is a much stronger company - both financially and in terms of the newest technology - with a stronger future, stern or not.

In my opinion they have the talent too. Opie and Anthony: High Voltage 202 Spread the Virus 8)
TheWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:39 PM   #6
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

i have to agree with talking goat. they are strong in growth but not in circulation. by percentage tehy are expandinbg much faster than XM, but they are dealing with a smaller base, so taht can be a little misleading.
they are supposed to be picking up a few major retail chains soon, that will help them along as much as teh on air talent ever could.
availablity at a common value will be the key. you will be able to sign up for either company damn near anywhere by mid to late summer and teh price wars will begin since we are looking at an unregulated(as of yet) version of the communications industry.
watch who gets more aggressive in the price wars adn you will see teh short term winner, watch teh company that keeps it's costs contained(siris is doing this very poorly currently) and you will see teh long term winner.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:52 PM   #7
96ImpSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingGoat
sirius is a risk. Â*They're throwing a lot of money that they really don't have banking on them being competitive with XM, and they really don't have the user base, competitive pricing, or comparable hardware to do it. Â* They're getting way ahead of themselves in my opinion. Â*I've already heard that Stern alone is going to need to at least double their amount of existing users just to pay his salary if the company is expected to be successful. Â*

The stock will stabilize too, it's up primarily because of the big announcements of stern and mel karmazin, which are both recent. Â*I highly doubt that it will continue growth, and it probably will sink again long term, at least until stern is on the air.

It's hard to say where things will be 2 years from now, but as of right now, XM is a much stronger company - both financially and in terms of the newest technology - Â*with a stronger future, stern or not. Â*

In my opinion they have the talent too. Â*Opie and Anthony: High Voltage 202 Spread the Virus 8)
That is real wisdom. THis stock may be good in the short term but will eventually receed back to a reasonable level. I have learned a few things about stocks through experience. The biggest indicators of a stock's future performance is a good P/E ratio and Earnings, which SIRI has neither. Try and stay away from "noise" trading, you can get burnt easily.
96ImpSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #8
BigAls87Z28

XM is the way to go...8)
XM is GM.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:39 PM   #9
JPiZZiJP

Lol... good thing this is a finance thread (when i saw the thread title, "Stock Tip" I was like, "WOW something finance related!" (I am in the finance field... and then I said, maybe it's about a stock *exhaust* tip.... but anyway....

I am also going to have to go with TalkingGoat on this one... I already invested some $$ in Sirius and have already pulled out. I believe it is eventually going to level off, and then, possibly decline.

I do a good deal of stock trading, and whenever there is media about a company, their value in stock changes (sometimes dramatically). For instance, when McDonald's (a HUGE company) CEO retired, their stocks significantly dropped because people were unsure about the new leadership of Mickey D's. Then eventually, it came back up to where it used to be.

Another REALLY good example is a company called Boots and Coots (Symbol: WEL). This company deals with primarily putting out oil fires in the mid east. When Bush declared war on Iraq in Mar 2003, the stocks SOARED, just the same when the stocks SOARED when our current Bush's father declared the Gulf War. To give you an idea... in Feb 2003, WEL was trading around 30 - 35 cents a share... the day Bush declared war, it soared to an opening price of $2.38/share, almost a 700% jump. However, 2 weeks later, the price was back down to the 30 cent a share range. In reality, Boots and Coots is under a lot of financial turmoil and the have poor management, and are on the verge of bankruptcy.

So... with regard to SIRIUS, I stopped following it awhile ago. There is potential for it to rise still, however as the days go by it becomes increasingly more risky. Just make sure you sell before it drops

~Joe
JPiZZiJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #10
bluebird94

yeah this was a little delay lol my mom invested in it a few months ago, and shes made quite a nice sum of money. idk i think itll drop by spring because i think XM carries opie and anthony and all of the MLB telecasts...should be interesting though--by low sell high....Kmart is a good example, some guy made like 33 million when the merger was announced...anywho good luck investors
bluebird94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:22 PM   #11
TheWraith

sirius absolutely tanked today. Hate to say I told you so, but damn
Old 12-09-2004, 09:03 AM   #12
HardcoreZ28

Yes it dropped yesterday, however I think it will go back up. We all know it was overvalued and I meant to suggest waiting for a dip to pick it up. XM will not be the only company in the market because we all know there's always competition. Toyota announced this week that they are offering a choice between XM and Sirius on all their new cars. I'm sure others will follow suit soon. Yes the price will fluctuate a lot over the next few months, but I think overall growth will be decent.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:38 AM   #13
SpeakersGoBoom

whats it at right now? if its dirt cheep, i might get a few shares with what little money i have. maybe i can make a few (100) bucks towards either getting the car fixed, or getting jewelry...(those who need to get it already do)
Old 12-09-2004, 09:45 AM   #14
TheWraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28
Yes it dropped yesterday, however I think it will go back up. Â*We all know it was overvalued and I meant to suggest waiting for a dip to pick it up. Â*XM will not be the only company in the market because we all know there's always competition. Â*Toyota announced this week that they are offering a choice between XM and Sirius on all their new cars. Â*I'm sure others will follow suit soon. Â*Yes the price will fluctuate a lot over the next few months, but I think overall growth will be decent.
actually the toyota announcement is bad for Sirius. They are offering XM as standard equipment built into the head unit, and sirius only as a dealer installed option with an add on tuner.

I also don't expect sirius to go anywhere, there will be competition, however they are not a company on good financial ground, and they are putting a lot of faith in howard stern.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:44 AM   #15
SpeakersGoBoom

still if its cheap, its worth a few shares. again, not a lifes savings...i mean, look into the past. IBM told bill gates that "There is no money in software. People only want hardware."

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge