Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-11-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
78camaro

floor? paint? sealer? rust???

alrighti need soem help, so for my winter project i decided to start the project of turning my 78 camaro into a 10 second Â*street car, so i first started with the interior by striping it bare(seats, all trim, dash gauges carpet, once i ripped teh carpet off i came across a smallamount of rust on teh drivers side n a little more on the passanger side but i was very surprised considering how old teh car is, so i sanded all the rust offf n its perfect the floors are still solid , it was jus minor surface rust but i was wondering if Â*there is any special floor paint i should use or just regular metal paint what should use to seal it y aknow,so i was just wondering for soem advice on that...also once it gets a little warmer im gunna need some help pulling the motor and tranny so if anyone who knows what there doing whats to lend me a hand i greatly appreciate it..
Old 12-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
j0n

por 15
Old 12-11-2004, 11:42 PM   #3
BigAls87Z28

POR 15 is awesome, just make sure you dont get it on anything else.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:10 AM   #4
78camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28
POR 15 is awesome, just make sure you dont get it on anything else.
what do you mean anything else?
Old 12-12-2004, 02:41 AM   #5
BigAls87Z28

cause you will never get it off anything else. Make sure you dont get it on your skin. They do make the solvent for it, but its no party.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:32 AM   #6
78camaro

thanks alot... in your guys opinion what of por-15 should i use, primer? top coat? clear coat or go all out n use all ove the above Â*
Old 12-12-2004, 07:40 AM   #7
jims69camaro

por-15 satin black. one coat and you're done. no primer, unless you are anal about using primers. also, you might want to completely strip the paint from both sides of the floor before proceeding. you might find other spots. por-15 will stop the rust from progressing when you apply it to bare metal, but if you apply it over existing paint you won't be stopping anything - just delaying it. the rust will continue to grow under the original paint and some time in the future will bubble up under the por-15. that might lead you to believe that por-15 is less than perfect, but in actuality it was the process of removing the old paint that was less than perfect.

also, while por-15 is an excellent paint, i don't think you can paint over it. so you might want to consider if you would want the undercarriage to be any other color before you start applying the satin black.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:51 AM   #8
78camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro
por-15 satin black. Â*one coat and you're done. no primer, unless you are anal about using primers. Â*also, you might want to completely strip the paint from both sides of the floor before proceeding. Â*you might find other spots. Â*por-15 will stop the rust from progressing when you apply it to bare metal, but if you apply it over existing paint you won't be stopping anything - just delaying it. Â*the rust will continue to grow under the original paint and some time in the future will bubble up under the por-15. Â*that might lead you to believe that por-15 is less than perfect, but in actuality it was the process of removing the old paint that was less than perfect.

also, while por-15 is an excellent paint, i don't think you can paint over it. Â*so you might want to consider if you would want the undercarriage to be any other color before you start applying the satin black.

i already striped all the paint off the interior floor pans and sanded the rust, the undercarriage if 100% rus free, the car came from cali under a year ago, its just my windshield leaks a little bit and i didnt notice that till i wasworking on it in the rain and the floor was getting wet n al the doors n windows were close i followed the water n it comes front he top onf the windshield and goes down behind the dasdh n tahts rigth where the rust was liek where your feet would be so i firgure tahts why i founf a small amout of rust...

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge