Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 08-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
tcbnj

Need advice removing/installing door jam light switch

Asking for advice when removing/installing A pillar door jam courtesy light switch

It appears to me that when unscrewing the switch from the door pillar (or vice versa) the attached wires will twist potentially damaging them. Is there a technique for not damaging the wires or I am ‘overthinking” this repair?

PS. My issue is that the courtesy lights won’t turn off when the doors are closed (and it is not due to the dimmer switch being turned all the way up) and I think it’s a faulty door jam switch. Car is 1995 Formula 6 speed with all the comfort & convenience options

Thanks

"They're no good for you......all they ever think about are cars" - Two Lane BlackTop
tcbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

I am not sure about the 4th gens, but on the 3rd gens you can get to the back side of the switch under the dash, it's a huge pain, but it's doable.

On the other hand, in my older GM vehicles, you can't get to it, so when I would install them, I would twist the switch the same number of turns so when it is installed it is at "rest" and not twisted. When you take it out, you just have to hope it doesn't break while you're taking it out
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
tcbnj

Well I removed each door switch and the lights stayed on. Somewhat unrelated but after removing - reinstalling the switches I was playing with the passenger seat fore/aft adjustment and "voila" the lights went out. Currently all operations normal. I did have the seats and carpet "moved around" as part of a welding repair on a transmission tunnel brace support bracket. I am surmising that there is a short in that neighborhood

"They're no good for you......all they ever think about are cars" - Two Lane BlackTop
Old 09-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
The_Bishop
Power Member

Maybe a wire got pinched behind a bolt somewhere?
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #5
tcbnj

At the risk of boring you all, I think I have a resolution – there was no problem with the door jam switches. I am 95% certain the problem is a short in the courtesy light circuit which is linked with (1) keyless entry module, (2) retain accessory power module and (3) an alarm system I had installed the first month I bought the car (May 1995). The keyless entry and alarm appear to be located below the glove box
The welding work I had done required moving the passenger kick panel which must have disturbed the aftermarket alarm system ‘spaghetti’. While I have not “found” the short, my shifting the spaghetti seems to have alleviated the problem. My next steps are unclear as this problem has not occurred for more than 22 years. Unless it resurfaces, I am inclined to leave well enough alone.
Thanks to those who tried to help

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring